UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Looking for a New Amp (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573486)

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 08:04 PM

Looking for a New Amp

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a new amp for Christmas, so I thought I'd get some opinions on here. I like to play with a decent amount of gain, but I'd really like to have a good clean sound too. Not sure if I should just get decent clean amp like a Blues Jr or an AC15 and run pedals for gain, or if I should get a more versatile 2 channel amp.

Budget? - Around $500-$600

Genres? - Hard rock, classic rock, not so much into extremely high gain metal. Mark Tremonti is my favorite guitarist, and I like playing a lot of his style of music. Alter Bridge, Shinedown, and Skillet are some of my favorite bands. I do like to have a nice clean sound though as I mentioned earlier.

New or Used? - My local Craigslist is pretty dead, so probably new. If I buy used, I'd most likely just get something from Guitar Center's used site, so that is a possible option.

Home or Gig? - Home primarily, but I do have a drum kit and it would be nice to be able to play over that if I needed to.

Current Gear? - PRS Tremonti SE and a Roland Micro Cube.

Thanks!

Ian_the_fox 11-17-2012 08:21 PM

Does it matter if it's head+cab/combo?

I'd suggest a used Peavey JSX or XXX, combos or head/cab. The combo would work but in my opinion it sounds best run through some V30's.

I got to play the head through my Whitebox cab today; sounded fucking amazing.

That, or a used Marshall DSL401 would work excellently.

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 08:25 PM

Forgot to mention that part, I don't have a cab so I think a combo would fit better in my budget. I've listened to some clips of the JSX before, and they seem like good amps. I'll have to check out the DSL too.

ragingkitty 11-17-2012 08:57 PM

What about a PRS SE 20?

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 09:07 PM

^Nice amps, but a little out of my price range. Not seeing many used ones come up online.

R45VT 11-17-2012 09:14 PM

DSL401. Nice little combo. Turn the reverb up on the cleans and is a three channel- OD and distortion.

A used one will be within your budget.

sk8board3r 11-17-2012 09:45 PM

I can't say much about the JSX but I had the XXX for something like 3 years. It's an okay amp, but don't get it. Probably the best amp in your price range is the Fender Hot Rod, it's great clean and takes pedals really well that push it up into a nice crunch area. The only thing that this little bastard can't do that well is high gain stuff, which you aren't looking for anyway.

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 10:10 PM

I've thought about trying to get a Hot Rod Deluxe. There's a guitar store near my house that's an authorized Fender dealer, so I might try to play one there and see if I like it.

R45VT 11-17-2012 10:20 PM

It's got cleans but not a great distortion channel.

You would want a better amp later...

Remnest 11-17-2012 10:25 PM

Carvin V3M combo has a nice clean channel and since its a 3 channel amp it should give you some versatility.

Cathbard 11-17-2012 10:33 PM

You haven't said where you live. How is 311 supposed to work his used amp locating mojo if you don't tell him where you are?

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
It's got cleans but not a great distortion channel.

You would want a better amp later...

Yeah I'm kind of stuck wondering whether I should try for an amp with decent cleans and distortion or just get something with really nice cleans and use pedals for the gain. I like the DSL's overdrive a lot compared to the Hot Rod, but I think the Hot Rod's cleans are a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
Carvin V3M combo has a nice clean channel and since its a 3 channel amp it should give you some versatility.

I was really interested in the V3M when it first came out, but I think its overdrive sounds a little muddy. I might be kind of picky on my budget though lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
You haven't said where you live. How is 311 supposed to work his used amp locating mojo if you don't tell him where you are?

My bad. I'm in the United States...West Virginia.

Remnest 11-17-2012 10:44 PM

I dunno the OD channel sounds great to me, though ill admit the distortion channel is a bit fizzy though its something i deal with by rolling off the guitar volume a little.

Wisthekiller 11-17-2012 10:47 PM

Used Marshall DSL. The clean is actually pretty great on them.

sk8board3r 11-17-2012 10:49 PM

The cleans on the Hot Rod are, well, Fender cleans haha They don't get better then that. For my gain I use a fulltone OCD and it does great, a good overdrive all the way up to Metallica type gain. Nice stuff, great amp. The only reason I'm planning on upgrading is cause I want to move up to a head and a cab, but I'm not in any rush.

hevechvy 11-17-2012 10:49 PM

used DSL from ebay

311ZOSOVHJH 11-17-2012 11:08 PM

I see a Peavey VTM and a Kustom 66 in your 'local' area but I don't where you are in WV. If you'd like us to take a second look for you let us know.

Strictly new, maybe look at a Peavey Classic 30, Egnater 40, Jet City JCA50, Marshall DSL15, Orange Tiny Terror, B52 ATX100, Peavey 6505+112, Peavey Vypyr 60, DV Mark 15, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, VHT Special 12/20, Peavey Valveking, etc

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 11:16 PM

^Thanks for all the suggestions. The DSL amps are interesting me the more I listen to clips of them. I might try to snag a used DSL401 online or look into getting the DSL15.

R45VT 11-17-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremontiAddict
^Thanks for all the suggestions. The DSL amps are interesting me the more I listen to clips of them. I might try to snag a used DSL401 online or look into getting the DSL15.

The 401 is 40watts. More than enough for any situation. 15 might not be enough. Cleans won't stay clean.

TremontiAddict 11-17-2012 11:39 PM

True, plus the used 401's are usually going for less than the new 15's.