UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Help for string gauge! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573577)

feraccia 11-18-2012 09:32 AM

Help for string gauge!

Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!

DoubleBassCrash 11-18-2012 11:02 AM

You're fine, that custom set you want won't **** your neck up.

Mind_Reader7 11-18-2012 11:14 AM

I used a .56 for my 7th G string.

hminh87 11-18-2012 11:17 AM

Considering there are set of 11-70 I think you will be fine.

pushingthrough 11-18-2012 11:23 AM

I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.

Robbgnarly 11-18-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraccia
Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!

I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20 :shrug:

feraccia 11-18-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20 :shrug:

Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong :D

Robbgnarly 11-18-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraccia
Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong :D

:haha: I speak English and I am pretty bad at it ;)

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.

feraccia 11-18-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushingthrough
I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.

Well, thanks for the advice! Do you like that guitar? :)

feraccia 11-18-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
:haha: I speak English and I am pretty bad at it ;)

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.

My only fear was about the passage betwenn 0.42 and 0.56... It's such an abyss!