UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Help me get a decent live setup for around $1.5K (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573656)

charles? 11-18-2012 06:53 PM

Help me get a decent live setup for around $1.5K

I'm not too amp-savvy, so please excuse some of the naive questions. Anyway, I'm looking to get a decent live setup somewhere in the price range of $1,000 - $1,500. Obviously, the best rigs are going to cost much more, but in any case, I'm looking for something that can achieve a tone similar to the rhythm guitar in the chorus/theme areas of this:

Ideally, I'd love to get a setup that can emulate ALL of the tones in this track, but I know that for $1,500 at most, that's probably wishful thinking, haha! The setup I am most familiar with is a B-52 AT-100 combined with a 1960A cab. I love the cabinet, but not sure I like the head too much. In the past, I've used a few different Bogner and Orange heads and LOVED the sound they provided; if there are any particular models that would fit in that price range (used or not), that'd be awesome!

Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject; however, I'd love to learn more, so informational links/videos would be awesome! I'm definitely open to buying used gear. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

ihartfood 11-18-2012 07:15 PM

I'd suggest the following in terms of amps:

Orange Rocker 30 head used
Orange AD30 head used
Vox AC30 combo used/new
Marshall JCM900 SL-X or Mk III head used

there are lots more that would work

cabs:
marshall 1960 cab
Orange PPC412

damn thats a catchy song.

311ZOSOVHJH 11-19-2012 11:06 AM

Sounds like Surf Punk?

Where do you live?

^ good recs

tubetime86 11-19-2012 11:22 AM

Why the dirty focused amps for such a clean sound? To me that little ska sounding rhythm section is just a bright Fender, like a Twin. :shrug:

Oh nevermind, I was talking about the verse. That song is awful... I'm sorry but I can't listen to that anymore. That reminds me of an Old Navy commercial.

pinheadslts75 11-19-2012 12:05 PM

What do you already have, and will you be gigging in places that have a PA system?

charles? 11-29-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
I'd suggest the following in terms of amps:

Orange Rocker 30 head used
Orange AD30 head used
Vox AC30 combo used/new
Marshall JCM900 SL-X or Mk III head used

there are lots more that would work

cabs:
marshall 1960 cab
Orange PPC412

damn thats a catchy song.

Awesome list, thanks a bunch! I checked out some demos of most of those, and I'm definitely going to try out a few next time I can. :)

charles? 11-29-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadslts75
What do you already have, and will you be gigging in places that have a PA system?

Right now, I just have a 150w Line6 Spider II. Very old, and I really use it for practice only, definitely NOT for shows. Most of the shows I play are in venues with a PA system, so yeah, that'll be factored in here! :)

woad_yurt 11-29-2012 09:30 PM

I was recently playing with a band for a short time and the other guitarist used a Vox AC30; he had a very similar rhythm sound to the one in the song. Actually, it was extremely close, almost a dead ringer.

ihartfood 11-29-2012 10:10 PM

yeah man, AC30 would nail it. used, it'd be waaay under budget too.

Cathbard 11-29-2012 10:59 PM

AC30 would be a fine plan.

I'm with Dan though. Halfway through the song and I had to kill it, just couldn't take any more. Sounds like what punk would have been if it was produced by a corporation trying to sell soap. :haha:

Offworld92 11-29-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
That reminds me of an Old Navy commercial.

+1 :haha:

Anyway, can't go wrong with a Marshall DSL50 or 100. I imagine the footswitchable channels will be extremely useful for getting that verse/chorus sound disparity.