UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pedal for Punk? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573661)

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 11-18-2012 07:20 PM

Pedal for Punk?

Yea, I know. Another one of these threads so I'll keep it just to what you need to know.

Amp: Hot Rod Deville 410
Guitar: Samick AV7(Les Paul-type body)
Problem: I play in a ska-punk band and while my cleans are absolutely lovely the drive channels have something to be desired.

I'm looking for something with an EQ and can get almost a Marshall-type punk tone but I have no idea where to look.

Budget: None, really. I'll either save up and buy it or just get whatever it might be for Christmas.

Thanks a lot, guys!

EDIT: I'm going to be using this as my main distortion. And I'd like an EQ with all three bands if possible. But I won't throw out a suggestion if it only has highs and lows.

innertom 11-18-2012 07:27 PM

go to a store and test some pedals. Thats the best way man.
iv heard good things about the blackstar pedals with tubes in them, but haven't tried one yet,
do you have any other pedals?
about the eq do you just want a high and low knob or are you after more than that?

AxSilentxLine 11-18-2012 07:29 PM

How about a Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret? Pretty much Marshall drive in a box. When you say EQ, how much control do you mean? A DLS + your amp's EQ should be fine, but you could always throw in an MXR 10 band

Quote:
Originally Posted by innertom
iv heard good things about the blackstar pedals with tubes in them, but haven't tried one yet,
about the eq do you just want a high and low knob or are you after more than that?

I have a Blackstar HT-Drive pedal and it is quite nice but I find it can be pretty noisy and a bit harsh through certain amps.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 11-18-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innertom

I'm going to start working on my pedal board. As of right now I have a Dunlop CryBaby 535Q that I'm not using at the moment but I'm about to start once I get a pedal or two going.

I should also mention that I'm going to be using this as my main distortion. So I'd like to have bass, mids, and highs.

joe_k 11-18-2012 07:46 PM

Just get yourself a Proco Rat. Plenty of clones out there like the cmatmods rattified or whatever it is called are cool too but you can probably just get yourself a regular rat2 for cheaps and it still sounds pretty damn good.

no need for all these EQ options if a pedal sounds good.

pinheadslts75 11-18-2012 07:55 PM

Rat, Catalinbread WIIO, Black Arts Toneworks Revelation Super Lead, or Fulltone OCD.

LukeBTH 11-18-2012 08:11 PM

Check out either the JHS Charlie Brown and Angry Charlie. They don't have a full 3-band EQ (they have a tone and a presence knob), but one of those should easily do the trick. Plus you can get it custom painted if you'd so choose

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 11-18-2012 08:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, guys! So far I'm leaning towards the ProCo Rat after what I've heard on YouTube but I think I'm going to look into the Fulltone OCD a little bit more too.

joe_k 11-18-2012 08:24 PM

it may have just been me but i tried an OCD through a guyatone twin reverb clone and was thouroughly unimpressed by it.

it is super popular though so it could have just been me but i would get a rat over an OCD every day of the week.

gumbilicious 11-18-2012 08:30 PM

my old sansamp GT-2 got me some pretty good tones.

Cathbard 11-19-2012 12:30 AM

DOD Grunge

kyle62 11-19-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Thanks for the suggestion, guys! So far I'm leaning towards the ProCo Rat after what I've heard on YouTube but I think I'm going to look into the Fulltone OCD a little bit more too.

If you can find the old version of the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, do so. It's a great OCD clone for 1/5 of the price.

iwannabesedated 11-19-2012 01:27 AM

Proco Rat, especially if you can grab an older Made in USA version, although the Chinese ones are alright.

trashedlostfdup 11-19-2012 01:54 AM

i would say DLS as well. i am not really a huge fan of OCD's i have one and it rarely gets used. its great with some amps (from what i remember it was great with a renegade), but a lot of times it doesn't do well with other amps.

OCD's have a pretty decent amount of gain on tap though.

what ever you do, i would bring your amp into the store.

nickdohle 11-19-2012 02:12 AM

I also did not like the OCD I tried. Id steer away