UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Do strings take more tension than we can imagine (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573692)

Dan477 11-18-2012 10:05 PM

Do strings take more tension than we can imagine

I think we are underesitmating their strength. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G.

Guages Low E .056 B string .016

DylanHendrix 11-18-2012 10:12 PM

I voted yes, but being as I find changing strings inconvenient I will not be conducting any tests

311ZOSOVHJH 11-18-2012 10:31 PM

:lurk:

R45VT 11-18-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
:lurk:

It's already time for cats.

AcousticMirror 11-18-2012 11:07 PM

they are exactly as string as their maximun tension.

the fact that you said low E string and B string instead of giving the actual gauges makes me believe that you are approaching this investigation with less then a full box of clues.

the box of clues may actually be empty.

Skullivan 11-19-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
the fact that you said low E string and B string instead of giving the actual gauges makes me believe that you are approaching this investigation with less then a full box of clues.

the box of clues may actually be empty.

I guess we better sit on down and figure it out...

Phoenix V 11-19-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullivan
I guess we better sit on down and figure it out...

Is it ok if I sit this one out? My head already hurts. :confus:

Cathbard 11-19-2012 12:11 AM

Seriously, dude. The second result googling "guitar string tension" is this:
http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page

gumbilicious 11-19-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
I think we are underesitmating their strength. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G.

Guages Low E .056 B string .016

I think we are over estimating the strength of our guitar necks. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G. but i only assume the string takes the stress...

what about the neck man?

they use square necks on certain guitars that use high tension tunings so the neck doesn't warp or bow.

edit: cath beat me to the link :(
there is whole charts talking about strings and how much tension they can take

http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page

trashedlostfdup 11-19-2012 12:51 AM

believe it or not when i was a sophomore in high school (2006) i did a similar project. i won school finals , the district finals and got an honorable mention at the state finals.

the take a lot. as somebody metioned the neck could bend.

i built a machine and i welded together a 1/4" steel vertical tower and put wights on them, and waited until they broke. i did two tests, one was longevity, meaning how long they would last under the weight, the second was how much at once (dropping the weight on the string). very different results.

gumbilicious 11-19-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
believe it or not when i was a sophomore in high school (2006) i did a similar project. i won school finals , the district finals and got an honorable mention at the state finals.

the take a lot. as somebody metioned the neck could bend.

that was like me, and i don't care if anyone else mentioned it (especially cath).

Quote:
i built a machine and i welded together a 1/4" steel vertical tower and put wights on them, and waited until they broke. i did two tests, one was longevity, meaning how long they would last under the weight, the second was how much at once (dropping the weight on the string). very different results.

well now Bill Nye, this would be exactly the kind of information we would be asking for right? i always joke saying: "What? Do you think we are some kinda R&D firm?"... but you actually have empirical results from an actual controlled study.

so spill it. wtf.

trashedlostfdup 11-19-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
that was like me, and i don't care if anyone else mentioned it (especially cath).

well now Bill Nye, this would be exactly the kind of information we would be asking for right? i always joke saying: "What? Do you think we are some kinda R&D firm?"... but you actually have empirical results from an actual controlled study.

so spill it. wtf.

its a long time ago and i don't think i have the exact documents on this computer unfortunaly. but from memory, on the longevity test, it would hold about tripple the wait was rated (on a 25.5" scale according to d'addario) held for quite a while, maybe a day. they would break on the dropping weight experiment, it didn't hold up to pound ratings. maybe slightly over half. best i can remember.

another year i did the relationship of tension and frequency on a single guitar string but didn't make it past districts. that on was harder as far as getting the right information displayed clearly, but it was fun. used the same rig as the previous experiment with a couple of modifications.

gumbilicious 11-19-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:
its a long time ago and i don't think i have the exact documents on this computer unfortunaly. but from memory, on the longevity test, it would hold about tripple the wait was rated (on a 25.5" scale according to d'addario) held for quite a while, maybe a day. they would break on the dropping weight experiment, it didn't hold up to pound ratings. maybe slightly over half. best i can remember.

another year i did the relationship of tension and frequency on a single guitar string but didn't make it past districts. that on was harder as far as getting the right information displayed clearly, but it was fun. used the same rig as the previous experiment with a couple of modifications.

seems we can still draw conclusions: the more weight on the string, the shorter the life of the string.

so tension on the string doesn't just involve how much tension the string can take, but how long the string lasts. more tension = shorter life. also, let's not forget about the neck. poor thing.

there ya go TS. as mentioned in the other threads, nominal string tension should be observed. what is brough up in this thread is that any more tension than nominal effects the life of the string.

Blktiger0 11-19-2012 06:13 AM

I estimate that my string will handle just as much tension as I put on it until it breaks. I haven't been let down yet. I didn't even need an experiment. (that's actually pretty awesome, trashedlostfdup)

tubetime86 11-19-2012 09:36 AM

Science!

trevh 11-19-2012 12:37 PM

Arby911 11-19-2012 12:53 PM

So based on all that 'scientific' analysis above, I could buy the new Peavey AT-200, tune it to C standard, use the Auto-tune technology so it sounded like E standard and my strings would last for-EVAH!!!!

And 2 step bends would be cake....I'mma sound just like SRV, minus the tore up fingertips!!:D

tubetime86 11-19-2012 01:25 PM

Roc8995 11-19-2012 01:29 PM

Stop making string tension threads. This is stupid.