UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Amp Problem. Please help!! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573695)

CannaBisquits 11-18-2012 10:46 PM

Amp Problem. Please help!!

Not sure if this is the right place to post but im in need of some help. My Valveking head started acting strange at practice tonight. When i first cut it on i played about 10 mins and it sounded fine. Tried to play the next song and started to notice that my gain and tone was getting weaker. All of a sudden the output dropped my clean channel was non existent unless i cranked the channel to 10, my gain channel lost all distortion and sounded clean but was still loud, and it eventually dropped in volume similar to my clean.
Now i changed the pre amp tubes a few weeks ago because my clean channel was distorted and my gain channel was way too noisy. The tube change solved those issues. With this new issue i have no idea whats going on. The power tubes all glow as well as the preamp tubes, tried plugging into another cab, tried a different guitar, tried different preamp tubes, plugged directly into the amp and none of this alleviated the issue. If anyone has any suggestions to try or have any idea what the issue could be please help me out. :)

R45VT 11-18-2012 11:12 PM

Did you try new power tubes?

Just to be sure you changed all the preamp tubes including the PI?

Did you try a new speaker cable? (Head)

New instrument cable ? Wiggle at the input jack?

Do you try another guitar?

CannaBisquits 11-18-2012 11:30 PM

When I changed the preamp tubes I changed all of them. I tried a different speaker cable and guitar. Can I use any preamp tube for the pi? Don't have any spare power tubes to try. But all the power tubes glow and the fuse wasn't blown

R45VT 11-19-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBisquits
When I changed the preamp tubes I changed all of them. I tried a different speaker cable and guitar. Can I use any preamp tube for the pi? Don't have any spare power tubes to try. But all the power tubes glow and the fuse wasn't blown

Did you put the old tubes back in?

Yes you can use a preamp tube for the PI.

Also post your question in the valve king thread. More people might read it.

BruceWillisman 11-19-2012 02:04 AM

what you really need is a new amp

tukk04 11-19-2012 02:07 AM

^save it for the "line 6 vs mg" types please, ts has a legit question. :peace:

Check yer fuses

It could be a blown power filtering cap also, causing some or all of your tubes to lose voltage and only work at partial power.

CannaBisquits 11-19-2012 10:47 AM

Valvekings are descent if you know how to push them. Od and a graphic eq works wonders. But I've never changed the output tubes and they are the stock rubys. Preamp tubes are groove gold series r's. Is there more than 1 fuse? If so where?

R45VT 11-19-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:
Valvekings are descent if you know how to push them. Od and a graphic eq works wonders. But I've never changed the output tubes and they are the stock rubys. Preamp tubes are groove gold series r's. Is there more than 1 fuse? If so where?

I don't think a fuse is blown. Short of pulling your amp apart I would get new power tubes. At a minimum you should always have a set for testing.

As the guy above said you could have bad filter caps as well.

Are you sure its not your input jack? Have you tried wiggling it?

CannaBisquits 11-19-2012 12:40 PM

Yeah tried wiggling both inputs. Hope its is the tubes. Just wondering, could a power tube fail and still light up?

R45VT 11-19-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah tried wiggling both inputs. Hope its is the tubes. Just wondering, could a power tube fail and still light up?

Yes. The heaters are the part you see light up.

Find the valve king thread and post in there. More people might help.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...52#post30626052

311ZOSOVHJH 11-19-2012 01:36 PM

I'm guessing it needs new power tubes anyway. Get some JJs

tubetime86 11-19-2012 01:44 PM

Biscuits is spelled with a 'C,' you got biscuits confused with Bisquick. That is all.

CannaBisquits 11-20-2012 09:54 AM

Well tried some new tubes it powered up and played very quietly. But now my tubes don't light up anymore preamp or power :(

CannaBisquits 11-20-2012 09:54 AM

Well tried some new tubes it powered up and played very quietly. But now my tubes don't light up anymore preamp or power :(

311ZOSOVHJH 11-20-2012 07:09 PM

you put new power tubes in?

were they matched? where did you get them?

you may have a dead fuse now or something.

power plugged in?