UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to know left handed or right handed? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573901)

calabi 11-20-2012 10:39 AM

How to know left handed or right handed?

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but. I recently bought a right handed guitar in a shop but when I held it, I held it at first in a left handed manner, the shop owner asked if I was left handed, I told him I'm not(I'm not), so I quickly turned it over.

But when I do air guitar I use my right hand to fret and when I turn over the guitar it feels more comfortable. So I'm unsure I'm thinking I may try left handed. I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, should I stick with right handed? What are the advantages disadvantages of going left handed(apart from lack of guitars)?

Sickz 11-20-2012 10:58 AM

Since you havent played long (I reckon you havent, but i may be wrong) it does not really matter. You can learn to play left or right handed, since you don't have that much experience with either.

No real advantage to any of them though. It's harder getting a hold of left handed guitars though, so you might consider that.

But then again, none of what i say matter. Pick what YOU reckon is best and fits you the best. :)

thesolidgamer 11-20-2012 11:15 AM

Yea if you look on Gumtree and such, 90% of the guitars are right handed. I suggest right hand,

GaryBillington 11-20-2012 11:25 AM

Air guitar is not the same as real guitar.

If you're right handed, play right handed. There is no advantage to playing left handed other than making things harder for yourself in the long run.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 11-20-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabi
I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, should I stick with right handed? What are the advantages disadvantages of going left handed(apart from lack of guitars)?

To expand a little on what Sickz said:

There are no advantages at all to going lefty. Once you've practiced enough to actually be able to do anything on the instrument it doesn't matter at all which way you started. You will have made so much progress by that point that the starting position doesn't matter at all. It's like starting a 10km marathon with two competitors a few centimetres apart: by the end the eventual winner will have made so much progress that such a tiny advantage is entirely negligible.

calabi 11-20-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Air guitar is not the same as real guitar.

If you're right handed, play right handed. There is no advantage to playing left handed other than making things harder for yourself in the long run.

Thanks for the replies.

But freting and strumming seem more comfortable the left hand way, I just seem to want to pick up the guitar and hold it that way.

I think I might stick with right hand for now, and get a left hand one in a month or to and try it and see how it goes.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 11-20-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

But freting and strumming seem more comfortable the left hand way, I just seem to want to pick up the guitar and hold it that way.

I think I might stick with right hand for now, and get a left hand one in a month or to and try it and see how it goes.

No, seriously, pick one and stick with it.

I really would advise that you go with righty but like I said; in the long run it doesn't actually make any difference. The biggest problem is that you will be very restricted on choice of guitar.

Geldin 11-20-2012 12:40 PM

As a lefty, I'm very glad I learned to play right handed. So many more instrument options....

Nero Galon 11-20-2012 01:02 PM

As mentioned, you limit yourself as a left handed player.

racertj5 11-20-2012 01:02 PM

I have to disagree with everything said here pretty much. I am a lefty but I play right handed but only because thats what I liked. If lefty feels more comfortable then do it.

J2G 11-21-2012 05:12 AM

Agreed, I'm a lefty and use a lefty guitar... But MAN do I wish I could've played right sometimes.
Lefty guitars are ALWAYS more expensive from what I can see, and there are sooo many right handers to choose from, it urks me... but do whatever you feel is right! <--- (you like that?)

AcidParadox 11-22-2012 05:30 PM

Dude, just pick whatever's comfortable. If you want to pick up the guitar and play left-handed initially because that's what's more comfortable, then do it. Just be aware that lefty guitars are a little harder to find and more expensive when you do find them, but that's not really an important factor (to me) when it comes to being able to play comfortably.

I'm ambidextrous, both in writing (though I usually write left-handed unless it's necessary that I don't) and playing guitar, but that's because I started out playing righty until I realized that lefty was more comfortable. Now, I have both lefty and righty guitars, and I play them both because sometimes I need different sounds from either. I can play equally well with either hand, but it took me less time to work out technique lefty than it did when I played righty because I was more comfortable that time around.

2PtDescartes 11-25-2012 03:27 AM

I'd say play right handed so you can play your friend's guitars. I'm left handed and play right handed.

NarwhalG2G 11-25-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
As a lefty, I'm very glad I learned to play right handed. So many more instrument options....

Me, too. To me it seems like the left hand does more work when playing guitar right-handed, though. The right hand strums while the left hand changes chords, bends, etc.

azrael4h 11-25-2012 04:15 PM

It took me three years to find an acoustic left handed guitar for my grandfather, who is left handed. Finally found a Fender two years ago and gave it to him for Christmas. Even now, last time I was in a GC, there was all of two lefties there, a Epi Les Paul and a Telecaster. I haven't seen any others.

I've been wanting to buy my mom a guitar, but, like her daddy, she's left handed. In the end, if I get her an electric, I'm probably going to turn the bloody thing upside down and string it backwards, if those two at GC are gone/I don't like them.

Play what you like, but know now that buying left handed guitars is a pain. You have, literally, no choice. I've seen three lefties at my local GC in 5 years. None at the pawn shops.

hansome21 11-25-2012 08:39 PM

I'm a lefty that plays righty. I recommend right handed, no matter what. There is no good reason to play left handed. Here is a list of things you cannot do if you play left handed:

1. You will never be able to "try before you buy", any good left handed guitar you are going to have to special order, and buying a guitar without playing it first is... is not a good idea lets just say.
2. You will never be able to jam out on someone else's guitar. I have been playing for almost 8 years and have NEVER run into a left handed guitarist except once at a guitar store. You will only be able to play an instrument you buy, never someone elses.
3. Almost all youtube/guitar help/justin videos are made by rightys, meaning that some of the lessons might be confusing at first as your seeing it all backwards. I was glad when I started I chose right handed for this reason alone as I could not afford an instructor until about 2 years in.

Coming from someone who is left handed, don't start playing left handed, just stick with what 98% of the population does. If you don't you could possibly pay more for the same guitar a righty buys and never be able to jam unless you bring YOUR guitar with you everywhere.

calabi 11-26-2012 12:05 PM

Ok, I've decided I'm going to stick with right handed.

Its just getting my left fingers to work fast enough. Grrrrrrrrr!

Zaphod_Beeblebr 11-26-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, I've decided I'm going to stick with right handed.

Its just getting my left fingers to work fast enough. Grrrrrrrrr!

No it isn't. Actual finger speed has very little to do with anything; past the basic energy needed to fret a string it's all about co-ordination and economy of motion.

calabi 11-26-2012 01:49 PM

Ok maybe not speed, but finger dexterity they wont move how I want them to.

But I will get them there.

baboonty 11-27-2012 03:51 AM

I'm a lefty and play as a lefty ( left side ) but As I learned on guitar's friend ( right hand) I didn't changed the strings position. It means I can play any kind of guitar except lefthand ones!
I would not recommend this choice for someone starting from scratch but I when It came time to buy my own guitar, take a lefty one with reverse strings wasn't an option.
I also play piano and I never dreamed of any kind of lefthand piano with a reverse keyboard!
Now I own 6 guitars, some are lefthand shape others right, but all have a right hand strings setting.