UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tube drive Distortion / Overdrive effect pedals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573933)

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 02:23 PM

Tube drive Distortion / Overdrive effect pedals
 
Hi guys,


I have a not so cool solid state head (B-52 100w) with a decent cab (B-52 480w).
The sound is decent but I'd like to beef it up for live purposes without buying a new head ya see? :p:

So I already plan on buying a tube screamer, but I'd like to get some opinions on the best tube distortion pedals. Preferably the kind that you can change the tube in it... if thats possible? :shrug: So I could put in like a super broootall tube from mesa or somethin ya know dewwwd?!? :headbang: :p:

I see the persuader tube drive thats been advertised on this site looks pretty promising from the reviews for the price but idk if it would fit my fancy since it's not really for metal.

Could I just buy that pedal, put it together, then put a diff tube in it to add a bit of the tube distortion tone, instead of having to drop a bunch of benjamens on a nice tubed head?


Am I an idiot?


:five:

Dave_Mc 11-20-2012 02:28 PM

you can get tube amps (probably) for what a tubescreamer and tube distortion pedal would cost.

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 02:46 PM

Tube screamer -

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-...XGP&cagpspn=pla

"Persuader" previously mentioned -
http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/K-930

Total estimated cost about $200


Amp heads I'm considering and have always wanted -

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...head/index.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...fier/index.html

Average price ranges from 600 up man..

I'd never spend that much on 2 pedals..

Dave_Mc 11-20-2012 02:54 PM

oh right it's a kit, i didn't realise that.

i guess you could. but i mean you don't necessarily have to go to the price of the 6505 or a recto to get a decent high gain head. I got my jet city (new) for 250.

Perverockstar69 11-20-2012 02:56 PM

if you tell us what kind of music are you playing and your budget we can give you some serious help

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 02:57 PM

ok i feel ya. i would want to go with one of those types of heads though I guess i shouldve mentioned that. also i havnt researched much into tube pedals. so i guess i am kind of an idiot haha

Dave_Mc 11-20-2012 02:58 PM

oh yeah i mean i'm not saying i wouldn't rather have a 6505 or recto than a jet city. but i'd rather have a jet city than nothing, kind of thing. it's like saying you have your heart set on a ferrari... that's fair enough, but refusing to buy a ford and holding out for the ferrari when you have no car at all is maybe kinda silly.

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 03:00 PM

I play metal as previously mentioned. and my budget is up to 125 or so on a tube pedal. :cheers:

Blktiger0 11-20-2012 03:01 PM

You're trying to solve a problem the hard way.

You don't like your amp's tone, so you're trying to buy at least two pedals to mask that, with plans on modding one of the pedals immediately.

Alternatively, for the same price, you could get a better amp. I mean, you're talking about at least $250 in pedals. You could get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for that price used. Sell your amp in addition to that, and you might be able to bump up the quality even more than that. If you could get about $500-$600, you could snag a used 6505 112 combo, which will bring teh br00tz. For around $300-$500 you can get various verisons of the Peavey Ultra used, which was the precursor to the 5150 and XXX. I mean, if you fill out the information found here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

We can help you out a lot more. :cheers:

Dave_Mc 11-20-2012 03:03 PM

^ +1

even if it has to be new, things like the jet city are still pretty nice, and likely far nicer than your current amp + a couple of pedals. I mean, the jet city is based on a soldano. it's not super-modern sounding, but it is high gain, for sure. i'd say it probably has more gain/saturation than a recto.

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
oh yeah i mean i'm not saying i wouldn't rather have a 6505 or recto than a jet city. but i'd rather have a jet city than nothing, kind of thing. it's like saying you have your heart set on a ferrari... that's fair enough, but refusing to buy a ford and holding out for the ferrari when you have no car at all is maybe kinda silly.


haha excellent point. I guess im that asshole trying to make his Taurus race ready for nascar with his birthday money lol :confus:

:cheers:

Perverockstar69 11-20-2012 03:05 PM

Peavey Ultra +1

Blktiger0 11-20-2012 03:10 PM

Don't beat yourself up. You've gotta start somewhere. I swear there are archives of me on here somewhere swearing up and down how MG's are great and everyone on here is a stupid tube snob :haha:

At least you're kosher and willing to learn. I was a know-it-all prick that was too stubborn to admit someone else might know something. Now I'm just a stubborn ass with know-it-all tendencies. :haha:

Also, I second the Jet City recommendation.

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
You're trying to solve a problem the hard way.

You don't like your amp's tone, so you're trying to buy at least two pedals to mask that, with plans on modding one of the pedals immediately.

Alternatively, for the same price, you could get a better amp. I mean, you're talking about at least $250 in pedals. You could get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for that price used. Sell your amp in addition to that, and you might be able to bump up the quality even more than that. If you could get about $500-$600, you could snag a used 6505 112 combo, which will bring teh br00tz. For around $300-$500 you can get various verisons of the Peavey Ultra used, which was the precursor to the 5150 and XXX. I mean, if you fill out the information found here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

We can help you out a lot more. :cheers:


Good point. I can see clearly now :p: deff gonna sell and invest the original money in addition to that to get a decent tubed amp. I considered it at one point but idk why it slipped my mind now :/

As for the "noob form", (thanks for that btw :finger: , I guess the info doesnt matter anymore because I plan on taking your advice.

-Thanks guys
:cheers: :cheers:

Offworld92 11-20-2012 03:20 PM

If you're more specific with exactly what you're playing (bands/songs), we can still shoot you more specific suggestions.

Cheers for being a cool TS. :cheers:

Blktiger0 11-20-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat21
Good point. I can see clearly now :p: deff gonna sell and invest the original money in addition to that to get a decent tubed amp. I considered it at one point but idk why it slipped my mind now :/

As for the "noob form", (thanks for that btw :finger: , I guess the info doesnt matter anymore because I plan on taking your advice.

-Thanks guys
:cheers: :cheers:


I didn't write that post, so I wasn't calling you a noob :haha:

I think 311 mostly did that because of the annoying people that come in that refuse to take any advice and get annoyed when we ask the questions in that form, so the mods just had it stickied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
If you're more specific with exactly what you're playing (bands/songs), we can still shoot you more specific suggestions.

Cheers for being a cool TS. :cheers:


+over 9000

FenderStrat21 11-20-2012 03:39 PM

:)


I'm hunting for tones similar to some of these bands/songs






Within the Ruins and Veil of Maya are good examples I feel because I'm looking for a nice tone to be there for me through the sweet leads and riffage, but also teh bonecrushing totes br00tz breakdowns.

Offworld92 11-20-2012 03:42 PM

6505+

Blktiger0 11-20-2012 03:43 PM

I can't listen to those at the moment, but from the names, your description, and the video preview image, I'm gonna say that a 6505 would be the optimal chocie. If the other guys weigh in a much different opinion, go with their suggestions since I can't listen at the moment.

Dave_Mc 11-20-2012 03:55 PM

^ yeah those tones would be more 6505 (or maybe even recto? :shrug: ) than a jet city/soldano type of thing. that's not to say the jet city might not still be worth getting if your budget can't get close to those... but yeah. there's always bugera, they make a 6505 and 6505+ clone (ish... they didn't clone peavey's "don't set the user on fire" circuitry :o ). though as i implied, their reliability isn't the greatest. they don't set people on fire any more, but reliability still isn't amazing, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Don't beat yourself up. You've gotta start somewhere. I swear there are archives of me on here somewhere swearing up and down how MG's are great and everyone on here is a stupid tube snob :haha:


oh man some of my older posts on here make me cringe :haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat21
haha excellent point. I guess im that asshole trying to make his Taurus race ready for nascar with his birthday money lol :confus:

:cheers:


haha don't worry about it :) We're just trying to stop you from wasting your money.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.