UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is the drummer a composer in the band? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574115)

Usernames sucks 11-21-2012 07:16 PM

Is the drummer a composer in the band?

Hi, i sing and play guitar in a 3 piece band. Me and the drummer writes the lyrics together, and i write all the music for guitar and bass and vocal melodies. We are now gping to post a song to a web page (that might give Us money if the song gets popular. So when you load up a song, you need to fill in: "Lyrics writer" and "composer". On lyrics writer its obviusly me and the drummer, but im unsure about composer. I asked the drummer, and he said i shuld put his name there too, since he mostly composed the drumbeats. So basicly, does the drum bets a drummer makes for a song go under "composing" in our situation? I have no problem at all putting his name there, but i just woner, because if so, wouldnt most drummers go under a composer?

Derickonfire 11-21-2012 07:31 PM

In SHAH, SHAH composes.

Dayn 11-21-2012 07:36 PM

I would. I'd give credit where it's due.

GaryBillington 11-21-2012 07:38 PM

If he contributed to the writing process, put him down. Not including him will only create tension & potentially make him join another band that will give him the credit he deserves.

Alternatively, some bands just list the band name as writer/composer/etc. IIRC Guns N Roses did that for the Appetite For Destruction album before switching to naming individual contributors on the Use Your Illusion albums. That could be an idea?

Also remember that some songwriting partnerships have an agreement where they give each other credit even on songs they wrote themselves - much like Lennon & McCartney did when the Beatles were together (ignoring the arguments Paul caused a few years ago where he switched the names around on some songs he felt were more his own).

Hail 11-21-2012 07:39 PM

it's actually illegal to have a drummer write your lyrics i'll have you know you little shit

i'm reporting you to the music police immediately

J-Dawg158 11-21-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
it's actually illegal to have a drummer write your lyrics i'll have you know you little shit

Tell that to this guy.

Macabre_Turtle 11-21-2012 08:49 PM

I think I've read that writing the drums doesn't really legally can't since you can't copyright a drum pattern, but honestly, it's a dick move to not include the drummer.

91RG350 11-21-2012 09:56 PM

Your drummer can construct sentences? On the fly? He's a keeper!

In all seriousness.... give him credit. I jam with a drummer...his take on our songs really adds to them greatly...he's a great arranger of songs....

Hail 11-21-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
Tell that to this guy.

is he like a prince or something idgi what's the point

amonamarthmetal 11-22-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
is he like a prince or something idgi what's the point

Any respect I had for you is gone.

Usernames sucks 11-22-2012 01:41 AM

Yes, ill give him credits. I had no problem doing so at all, i was just curious if composer (in this case) was only for melodies or not.

AeolianWolf 11-22-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
Yes, ill give him credits. I had no problem doing so at all, i was just curious if composer (in this case) was only for melodies or not.

lol @ "composed the drumbeats". your drummer is funny.

i mean, either way, technically it's right for you both to be considered composers of the song. composer comes from the latin "componere", meaning "to put together", so it's right.

but i wouldn't take a "composer for drums" seriously unless he's like neil peart level. props for bring that up - i'm a huge rush fan.

AlanHB 11-22-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks

Yes, copyright only covers the lyrics and melody of a song. The drum beat is generally not covered (in some extreme circumstances it could be argued, but assume you're the rule, not the exception to it).

If no agreement was made, it would most likely be half/half lyrics for you/drumer, full composing/music to you.

However you guys can simply agree to share everything, and that sounds like that's what you want to do. As long as this is all discussed (and preferably written and signed somewhere) then it's all g.

Hail 11-22-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
Any respect I had for you is gone.

i don't know whether i'm more surprised that you took that seriously or if it's that you had any respect for me in the first place

Usernames sucks 11-24-2012 06:53 AM

Ok! He totaly deserves to be a composer, because he has also joined doing decitions that are important for the song. But i just wonder, did the beatles drummer or the drummer for any other band for that matter get credits for the drumbeats?

Hail 11-24-2012 09:31 AM

producers get cred for rap beats

guitar music - 0
everything else - 1

schwinginbatman 11-24-2012 02:43 PM

Typically, no, drum beats themselves do not count. If he made any sort of suggestion regarding melody or arrangement that was kept, then he should get a credit. There are times where beats count, but that sort of thing tends to have to do more with arrangement than the beat itself.

Peaceful Rocker 11-24-2012 02:56 PM

Usually the person who writes the song originally before it's brought to the band takes the credit. If it really was a song the entire band wrote together, then list the bands name as the composer. In the band i'm in the singer brings alot of his songs and we just play them.. even though I have a solo or whatever, i'm not really that worried about being listed as a writer.