UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Gibson wat r u doing?Gibson stahp (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574142)

redandwhite12 11-21-2012 10:01 PM

Gibson wat r u doing?Gibson stahp

So recently i was browsing Gibson and discovered this intriguing yet somewhat disturbing SG.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...0s-Tribute.aspx

50's Sg what a strange concept considering Sg's came around in '61 if i remember right.

"Gibson USA is celebrating 2013 as the Year of Les Paul, and is blowing it up big with a new series of decade-dedicated Tribute SGs, each of which honors the artistry and innovation of inventor and guitarist Les Paul by capturing the essence of a great SG equipped with components from one of four different eras."

Okay so Gibson celebrates Les Paul by making a guitar that he disliked so much he actually had his name removed from it?

"The SG 50s Tribute represents the look, feel, and tone of the set-neck, double-cutaway solidbody as it would have appeared equipped with features of the 1950s"

Ahh Gibson why? Why?

W4RP1G 11-21-2012 10:12 PM

I remember reading that Les Paul didn't want his name on the SG. Seems odd that they would do that, as if no one knows that. Still, guitar politics are dumb, so I really don't care about something so trivial.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-21-2012 10:13 PM

That is strange. :haha:

Doesn't really mean anything but it's odd.

redandwhite12 11-21-2012 10:20 PM

Personally this actually makes me angry lol

Bhaok 11-21-2012 10:26 PM

They are doing it just to annoy you.

redandwhite12 11-21-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaok
They are doing it just to annoy you.

Then it has succeeded :grrr: :haha:

XgamerGt04 11-21-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I remember reading that Les Paul didn't want his name on the SG. Seems odd that they would do that, as if no one knows that. Still, guitar politics are dumb, so I really don't care about something so trivial.

I remember there being some interview with him years after in which he explains why his name was taken off. The early prototypes he didn't like because they had a number of issues that he didn't like. He said that you could change the key of the guitar just by pulling on the neck and to fix those issues before putting his name on it. In the same interview he states that it was a mistake to tell them that since it sells so well.

Lets also not forget that he was about to divorce Mary Ford at that time... so do you think it would be good for him to sign some sort of contract to have his name on it at that time? Especially when she would get part of it. He did not like giving her money at all...

ccannon1 11-21-2012 11:04 PM

50s SG? I thought the first year for the SG was '60

Offworld92 11-21-2012 11:34 PM

Right now the designers are sitting at a table, staring at each other, their high rapidly dissipating, all sharing the same thought: "we dun goofed".

AWACS 11-22-2012 12:17 AM

First year of the SG was 1961. I should know, I have one :D

schwinginbatman 11-22-2012 12:19 AM

Holy crap, only $1,500 MSRP? That's crazy cheap for Gibson.

Firebirdz 11-22-2012 02:40 AM

Well, if you'd look around most shopping sites, Gibson's 2013 models are up (didn't see a thread about it). There are a lot of new SG's and Les Pauls up, the lowet priced being around 700 bucks IIRC. That said, a lot of new models do seem wierd. I think they're doing something they called a ''Future Tribute''. Still, wierd to see no new Explorers, Flying v's or Firebirds.

Blompcube 11-22-2012 07:52 AM

i think it's pretty silly to call that guitar a "50s tribute", but it's only a name.

redandwhite12 11-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
I remember there being some interview with him years after in which he explains why his name was taken off. The early prototypes he didn't like because they had a number of issues that he didn't like. He said that you could change the key of the guitar just by pulling on the neck and to fix those issues before putting his name on it. In the same interview he states that it was a mistake to tell them that since it sells so well.

Lets also not forget that he was about to divorce Mary Ford at that time... so do you think it would be good for him to sign some sort of contract to have his name on it at that time? Especially when she would get part of it. He did not like giving her money at all...

I think he said that more jokingly, in regards to him putting his name on it, but i do remeber seeing that in an interview too.

Also a while ago I was watching Pawnstars and someone brought in an SG-Les Paul that Mary Ford had owned. They estimated that some work on it had actually been done by Les himself.

H4T3BR33D3R 11-22-2012 08:49 AM

I don't see why they couldn't call it the SG studio or something.

Huge Guy 11-22-2012 09:32 AM

It says it comes with the features it would have if it had been released in the '50's...including robot tuners, apparently...

sashki 11-22-2012 09:33 AM

A silly name but probably not a bad guitar. It's not as outlandish as Gibson's other recent efforts. Besides, Fender have been doing this sort of thing for years (see: Pawn Shop series)

ShameofaNation 11-22-2012 10:46 AM

The guitar looks nice but the whole "what-if" thing is kind of ridiculous, slap on an "SG" truss rod cover and I can dig it.

cha33 armstrong 11-22-2012 10:51 AM

(prepared for a hell of alot of hate) i actually kinda like it

Tom 1.0 11-22-2012 10:53 AM

I like the look of the tuners :shrug:

What's in a name anyway? It's a cool looking SG.