UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Good amps for a 200 dollar budget? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574315)

GuitarNewbee 11-22-2012 11:15 PM

Good amps for a 200 dollar budget?

Im going to be going off to gutiarcenter in a while and i need some options on which amp to buy, my first amp was a mistake (line 6 spider iv) i just bought it without looking up any info on it,

Tone im Looking for:
Bullet for my valentine
Bring me the Horizon
Black Veil Brides
Underoath
Asking Alexandria
Motionless in white
Pierce the Veil
Blink 182
Breaking Benjamin
Bless The Fall
etc. ...
So what do you guys think would be good for 200 dollars with the ability to get similar tones to that of bands that i've listed?

R45VT 11-22-2012 11:25 PM

Kind of all over the place. Peavy Vypyr 30?

Do you have a cab?

Home or gig?

Willing to go used off Craigslist? (What is the closest major city?)

ihartfood 11-22-2012 11:32 PM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

GuitarNewbee 11-22-2012 11:44 PM

using it for practice at home not for gigs, no i dont like criagslist and prefere it to be new.

ihartfood 11-23-2012 12:05 AM

well then you sir have very very few options.
the peavey vypyr 30 is pretty much your only one.
so go with that.

R45VT 11-23-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
well then you sir have very very few options.
the peavey vypyr 30 is pretty much your only one.
so go with that.

+1

RickyThomson 11-23-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
Im going to be going off to gutiarcenter in a while and i need some options on which amp to buy, my first amp was a mistake (line 6 spider iv) i just bought it without looking up any info on it,

Tone im Looking for:
Bullet for my valentine
Bring me the Horizon
Black Veil Brides
Underoath
Asking Alexandria
Motionless in white
Pierce the Veil
Blink 182
Breaking Benjamin
Bless The Fall
etc. ...
So what do you guys think would be good for 200 dollars with the ability to get similar tones to that of bands that i've listed?

Honest question...

I hear this alot on UG. What is off-putting about spider IV's? I've had one for about a year now (30 watt) and other than a few teething problems in finding "my sound" it does the job. After i got past the frustration of fiddling with the dials i seem to be able to get a great sound from mine.

Why do you feel it was a mistake in getting one?
Just curious.

W4RP1G 11-23-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
using it for practice at home not for gigs, no i dont like criagslist and prefere it to be new.

Do yourself a favor and buy a used Vypyr 30 from Guitar Center. They offer a 30 day guarantee on them, so the risk is fairly minimal, and you'll save $100 or more by going used, which is money you could put toward a used Sanpera pedal.

There are a few benefits to going new, like a warranty and knowing that you are the only one who has owned it, but in this case the benefits of going used far outweigh them.

KevinFreund 11-23-2012 02:45 AM

$200 isn't much of a budget if you aren't willing to go used man.

Cathbard 11-23-2012 03:43 AM

You've pretty much limited yourself to a Vyper 30 (or smaller) or software.

jeffo46 11-23-2012 08:53 AM

If you have a effects processor such as a Digitech RP series or a Zoom, then you could do what I did, which is to go and buy a new Fender Frontman 25R along with a Eminence Rajun Cajun 10" Speaker, which will run you $170.00. Take out the stock Fender speaker that comes with the FM and install the Eminence. That will not only improve the sound of the amp by making it much clearer but will also make it louder as well. My FM now sounds more like a 50 watt combo instead of a 25 watt one and is definately able to do small club gigs with the Eminence in it.

ihartfood 11-23-2012 11:45 AM

^ that's really throwing your money away on a shitty amp.
he didn't mention an FX processor and I assume he doesn't have one because he bought a modelling amp.

GaryBillington 11-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
Honest question...

I hear this alot on UG. What is off-putting about spider IV's? I've had one for about a year now (30 watt) and other than a few teething problems in finding "my sound" it does the job. After i got past the frustration of fiddling with the dials i seem to be able to get a great sound from mine.

Why do you feel it was a mistake in getting one?
Just curious.

It's all just opinion really. :shrug:

Some people here don't like them so they tell people they're crap. They post that as if it's factual information so other people pass the message on. I'd bet hardly any of the people who are vocal in their dislike of the Spider have actually owned one and spent time finding their sound with it.

GuitarNewbee 11-23-2012 01:06 PM

okay im willing to go used for more options, so any possibilities for used?... to the ones who asked about what i dont like about my line 6 is, 1st of all its a 15 watt so it cant go very loud without it sounding bad, i compared it to a fender a while ago and a couple other amps in guitar center and realized that in my own opinion it sounds to digital for my liking.

GuitarNewbee 11-23-2012 01:08 PM

so what are my options if im willing to go used?

Ian_the_fox 11-23-2012 01:40 PM

Any way you can snag $100 extra? If so:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...309-i2818219.gc

All tube, plenty of drive and heavy sound for everything you want to play.

tas38 11-23-2012 02:20 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...857-i2756168.gc

This is 250.

GuitarNewbee 11-23-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Any way you can snag $100 extra? If so:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...309-i2818219.gc

All tube, plenty of drive and heavy sound for everything you want to play.

well not really because im barely 14 so i dont have a job yet and where i live you cant get a job untill you are atleast 16 so right now i' relying on money that i've earned over the years and it would take a while to get 100 more dollars, so it be great if you could recommend some good amps for 200 dollars, iv'e made up my mind it doesn't have to be new it could be used.

Perverockstar69 11-23-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
It's all just opinion really. :shrug:

Some people here don't like them so they tell people they're crap. They post that as if it's factual information so other people pass the message on. I'd bet hardly any of the people who are vocal in their dislike of the Spider have actually owned one and spent time finding their sound with it.

I owned one, it was crap.

GuitarNewbee 11-23-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
I owned one, it was crap.

agreed, i hate how it makes that crappy sound, to me it sounds like one of those old time wireless radios where you put in batteries and put the attena up, it just sounds really buffery and stuff.