UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Review of Berklee book? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574355)

johnyere 11-23-2012 10:04 AM

Review of Berklee book?
 
My teacher recommended buying Berklee's Modern Method For Guitar (Parts 1,2,3) to start working on sight reading, so i did.

Has anybody previously purchased this book, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Hail 11-23-2012 10:32 AM

personally if i wanted to work on sightreading, i'd just sightread :shrug:

i can't comment on the actual quality of the book itself, but it's a really common modern thought that berklee is the mecca of all musical knowledge and that their professors fart rainbows and perfection because it's an arm and a leg to afford a semester there.

just don't expect it to be the only thing you'll ever need to read - seems obvious, but people have that tendency when teachers make a recommendation.

but at the end of the day, the goal is to learn. if it helps you fulfill your goals, there's nothing to bash about it - in fact, once you've made some headway, i'd be interested to hear your input on it.

but there are almost certainly people here who have read it iirc and can give you far less vague and far more useful insight

Hydra150 11-23-2012 10:36 AM

I have it.
It is simple, containing little instruction but a lot of material. There's a lot of musical examples, getting gradually more difficult/working on different positions. You still have to put the effort in, though, buying a book won't solve your problems.
If you're working with a teacher it should be a good resource. Not the only resource you'll need, tough, you will want to get sight-reading practice from all sorts of materials.

macashmack 11-23-2012 11:55 AM

Where'd you get it? I'd like to get myself them how much was the set?

Hydra150 11-23-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Where'd you get it? I'd like to get myself them how much was the set?

I bought the first volume from Amazon. Can't remember the price, but it wasnt too dear.

macashmack 11-23-2012 12:08 PM

word i just found volume's 1 and 2 for about 4 bucks each used. Still looking for the third one that cheap, all the others are like 10 bucks.

Hydra150 11-23-2012 12:09 PM

You can get em all in one book, but that might be a bit big - would probably be spiral bound though, which I find to be better for a music stand.

mattrusso 11-23-2012 12:23 PM

If you're just looking for a book to practice reading, this isn't what I'd suggest. I never owned any of these, but from what I understand, it's meant to teach you all aspects of playing from the very beginning. If you just want to practice reading, pick up a real book or something similar (a book with a bunch of lead sheets you've never seen before) and just practice reading something random out of that for maybe 15-30 minutes a day. That improved my reading like crazy.

Hydra150 11-23-2012 12:30 PM

Matt, I agree with your suggestion of a real book or something similar, but this book does kinda the same thing - it is filled with notation for music you have never heard before, so it is good for practice for reading. It starts easy and builds up to more notes and more complicated rhythms, and it has some exercises and stuff. The book may have been intended for complete beginners first grabbing a guitar, but it still works for competent players who are new to reading - there's not a lot of instruction or guidance, it is packed with notation.

This is pretty good in that regard, too;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Readi...53688247&sr=8-1
A bit better, I think, as it has more/clearer explanations and guidance, and is generally more modern and user friendly in its design.

macashmack 11-23-2012 12:50 PM

MAttrusso, did you know all the notes on the neck by heart before you did that, or did you learn it as you went along?

mattrusso 11-23-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Matt, I agree with your suggestion of a real book or something similar, but this book does kinda the same thing - it is filled with notation for music you have never heard before, so it is good for practice for reading. It starts easy and builds up to more notes and more complicated rhythms, and it has some exercises and stuff. The book may have been intended for complete beginners first grabbing a guitar, but it still works for competent players who are new to reading - there's not a lot of instruction or guidance, it is packed with notation.

This is pretty good in that regard, too;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Readi...53688247&sr=8-1
A bit better, I think, as it has more/clearer explanations and guidance, and is generally more modern and user friendly in its design.

Good point. TS, if you're starting from scratch, I'd go this route. If you can already read a little bit, I wouldn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
MAttrusso, did you know all the notes on the neck by heart before you did that, or did you learn it as you went along?

Yeah, definitely. That should be the first thing you learn!

macashmack 11-23-2012 01:02 PM

Yea I'm trying to get that down cold it aint easy but the farther you go the easier it gets i think.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.