UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you participate in the Black Friday massacre? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574408)

The Madcap 11-23-2012 05:34 PM

Do you participate in the Black Friday massacre?

What do you think of Black Friday? Do you camp out and try to be the first in line at Wal-Mart? Maybe go to one store and hope to get a good deal? Or sit at home because it's too crowded everywhere?

I personally think that if you're trying to save and you're buying something big, like a TV or something, I can understand going on Black Friday as you could actually get some pretty good deals. However I think going to a mall at midnight to buy clothes is pretty damn ridiculous. Today was the 4th Black Friday I've worked, and to discounts most clothing stores offer on Black Friday aren't any different at all than any other weekend throughout the year.

But yeah, I worked the whole midnight madness shift, and seeing all the customers waiting in lines and going through parking nightmares at 3 in the morning is pretty depressing.

metaldud536 11-23-2012 05:37 PM

I worked from 8pm until 5am. Whats sad was seeing the parents drag the little kids at 3am. Some of them asleep in the shopping carts.

Overall it wasn't too bad. I don't shop on Black Friday. Except online. I got Disnohored, Crysis 2, and To the Moon for about $37

sonny bb 11-23-2012 05:38 PM

My band has a show today, so I guess I'm participating. :)

eGraham 11-23-2012 05:40 PM

I've been shopping on Black Friday twice. I must not go to overly populated places, because I've never seen it get that bad.

I also don't agree with the sentiment that it's sad to see people saving money. That doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, it's hard to believe how many people are actually willing to shop that early, but I don't think it's sad. Money matters too much in this world not to take advantage of it.

W4RP1G 11-23-2012 05:40 PM

Nope. I'd rather pay regular sale prices throughout the year for the stuff I want than deal with that craziness.

CrimsonBizzare 11-23-2012 05:42 PM

Yes.

EDIT: Disregard that, I thought this thread was about that thing with the Africans and the flamethrowers.

<.<
>.>

3w0kw4rr10r 11-23-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBizzare
Yes.

EDIT: Disregard that, I thought this thread was about that thing with the Africans and the flamethrowers.

<.<
>.>

:haha:

intheshadowplay 11-23-2012 05:47 PM

I made the mistake of doing the all-night camping thing back when the Wii came out, and I got dragged to Tysons Corner by my step-mom at the time a few years ago, but otherwise I avoid it.

bradulator 11-23-2012 05:47 PM

I just go to Walmart to laugh at people tripping balls and also for the $2 movies.

I bought 21 Jumpstreet, Horrible Bosses, and Hot Tub Time Machine for super cheap last night.

The Madcap 11-23-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I've been shopping on Black Friday twice. I must not go to overly populated places, because I've never seen it get that bad.

I also don't agree with the sentiment that it's sad to see people saving money. That doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, it's hard to believe how many people are actually willing to shop that early, but I don't think it's sad. Money matters too much in this world not to take advantage of it.
Well, like I said I can understand people going out and buying a TV, but I don't think it's worth all that effort to buy frivolous things like clothes, especially since you're not really saving money. Most clothing stores don't offer any discount that's different from any other weekend of the year.

SwaggleyKubrick 11-23-2012 05:51 PM

meh, since all the stores have been trying to get a head start by trying Black Thursday and opening at midnight and stuff, today really wasn't too bad.
I didn't go out at 9am with the intent to do any shopping ('cept breakfast) but since all the parking lots weren't stuffed to capacity, I wandered about and got some stuff. I didn't fight any lines or miss anything that I had seen in flyers.

Holy Katana 11-23-2012 05:57 PM

Yeah. I went to Best Buy at midnight to get a PS3 for $200.

Came with Uncharted Collection and inFAMOUS Collection, but I also got Persona 4 Arena, as it was on sale.

It really wasn't all that hectic. More hectic than most days at a store, but not more than any store is during a sale. They had some crowd control, though, and were making sure people got in and out as fast as possible.

I was expecting the Battle of Helms Deep.

ErikLensherr 11-23-2012 06:00 PM

Banana Republic doesn't offer 40% off every weekend.

jjfeu662 11-23-2012 06:06 PM

I was going to use the GC black friday coupon but I never got one...

mr.retard 11-23-2012 06:07 PM

i got a haircut then i went grocery shopping.

BoyLilikoi 11-23-2012 06:11 PM

No, I've been working all day. I plan on taking advantage of some sales on amazon tonight though.

daytripper75 11-23-2012 06:14 PM

Hell no. It's not worth it.

I bought a few things on Amazon today, but that's it.

One was Skyrim for $25, and one was a tea blending kit for $20. The tea kit came with 5 types of tea, a glass tea pot, filters, and several herbs and spices to blend with the teas. Pretty cool for only $20.

Last year I did venture out to Walmart at midnight. They had Forza 4 for only $28, which is about $30 less than the normal price (well, the price at the time). It only took me about 30 minutes total. I figured 30 minutes of waiting around Walmart was worth saving $30 on a video game.

The Madcap 11-23-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Banana Republic doesn't offer 40% off every weekend.
Not every weekend, but I did go there a couple months ago actually on a normal weekend when they did offer that exact discount.

I.O.T.M 11-23-2012 06:22 PM

For some reason Amazon extended its Black Friday deals to us British folk, so I decided to buy some books.

I'd like to thank America for their stupid tradition saving me a few quid.

losing battle 11-23-2012 06:22 PM

I ordered a tascam dr-03 for 20 bucks. :shrug: