UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   String skipping while sweeping? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574542)

ZILtoid_1991 11-24-2012 04:35 PM

String skipping while sweeping?

I'm joining a band, and I got a few tabs to learn songs. One of the songs contains a very cool solo, but it seems it's impossible to play without "string skipping sweep picking". The songwriter is the vocalist of the band, he plays some guitar, but mostly keyboards, so maybe it's his fault. Fortunatlety it's not too fast, slower than my fastest arpeggios.

Example (not exactly this, but similar):
Code:
-8-5-----5------- -----6-----6----- -------7-----7--- ---------------7-

Should I give it a try to learn it or write a much more guitar oriented solo?

ZoaL 11-24-2012 05:00 PM

Have you tried playing it at another place of the fretboard usually it can change the fingering a lot! If that's the problem

Reages 11-24-2012 05:01 PM

it all depends on speed and how good can you sweep, if it's possible to play using alternating then it's not very difficult, if it's that fast that sweeping is the only way, then it's pretty hard at least for me. if you can sweep it then why not?

vIsIbleNoIsE 11-24-2012 05:59 PM

if i was going to play that pattern...i've gotten used to doing the skip with an upstroke on the 3rd string then a quick downstroke back to the first string. this pattern is actually not uncommon, choose a picking pattern and keep practicing it.

Livingtime 11-26-2012 05:56 AM

If you can sweep, you should be able to get this fairly easy I think. Think about where you want the pick to be at the 2nd sweep and work on it until you have it down. :)

Geldin 11-26-2012 11:23 AM

Personally, I'd play the second A as 10th fret on the B string rather than 5th fret on the e string.

amonamarthmetal 11-26-2012 03:21 PM

E----------------------------------------
B--T-----------------------------------
G-17-14-10-------14-10-----------
D----------------T-------------T---------
A---------------17-----------17-12-
E--------------------------------------

Should be easier.

Livingtime 11-27-2012 03:03 AM

That just overcomplicates it I think, unless you have a mute of some sort on your neck. The 17 tap on the A string is hard to get clean, a lot harder than the sweep in my opinion.

Facecut 11-27-2012 06:24 PM

Tons of options depending on speed and context, here are two more:

---8-5--------------------
---------------10-6-------
--------10-7---------7---
--------------------------7-
----------------------------
----------------------------

or

-----------------------------------
-13-10---------------------------
------------------14-10----------
----------15-12----------12-----
--------------------------------12-
------------------------------------

I would not be shy to alternate the part to something similar with the same effect that pleases your fingers more if you are having difficulties. While its always worth it to take challenges at home, for life situations I prefer rewarding stuff. Donīt play at your limit life, that way the experience will be better for you and your auditorium both.

amonamarthmetal 11-27-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime
That just overcomplicates it I think, unless you have a mute of some sort on your neck. The 17 tap on the A string is hard to get clean, a lot harder than the sweep in my opinion.

You're kidding.... unless you guitar is a piece of shit, or your technique is complete poo, the alternative I posted is much more sensible than the original.

Livingtime 11-28-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
You're kidding.... unless you guitar is a piece of shit, or your technique is complete poo, the alternative I posted is much more sensible than the original.

Tapping happens to be a personal weakness of mine :(
Sweeping on the other hand is one of the things I do best :D

HeadlessCross 11-28-2012 03:35 AM

Without hearing the song for its speed, feel and dynamics, no one can give accurate advice on how best to learn the lick.

Is it at a speed where sweeping is the only option? You say it is not too fast so maybe alternate picking can be an option? This would ultimately change the feel of the lick though, as picking would give you much more definition on each note (meaning the listener would be able to isolate each note easier).

If you are trying to get that distinct "sweeping arpeggio" feel, I would stick with the current pattern you have there, and focus on pick direction. I agree with the technique mentioned by vIsIbleNoIsE noise ealier: Upstroke on the 3rd string then downstroke on the 1st.

Try line up this picking pattern with your notes respectively:

D U U U D U U U

ZILtoid_1991 12-12-2012 07:42 AM

I play it with string skipping. It worked for me after some trying and practice, only I need to put together the whole thing and memorize it (which is needed as fast as it's posssible because the recordings are started).