UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   amp or guitar upgrade? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574551)

anderson80 11-24-2012 05:30 PM

amp or guitar upgrade?
 
im a fan of jcm 900s and have the 2x12 combo. i also play a 400 tokai hollowbody with bareknuckle pickups. ive been thinking about getting the head/4x12 cab version of the jcm 900 but i was wondering if i should get a guitar upgrade instead, like a used gibson les paul custom (cant afford both). cant decide. i play mostly rock but nothing heavy.

Robbgnarly 11-24-2012 05:59 PM

If you are happy with your amp, get a guitar and maybe a pedal or 2

KG6_Steven 11-24-2012 06:00 PM

I'm a big fan of lighter is better. While a 4x12 may look cool, if you do any type of playing out and plan to gig it, remember... you have to lug that thing from your house, to the vehicle, to the venue and back. I'm all about making life easier. Chances are, you're miking your amp/cab anyway, so having a big 4x12 isn't all that important.

I'd vote for upgrading the guitar, but you're the one with the back. :)

MatrixClaw 11-24-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I'm a big fan of lighter is better. While a 4x12 may look cool, if you do any type of playing out and plan to gig it, remember... you have to lug that thing from your house, to the vehicle, to the venue and back. I'm all about making life easier. Chances are, you're miking your amp/cab anyway, so having a big 4x12 isn't all that important.

I'd vote for upgrading the guitar, but you're the one with the back. :)

If you're about lighter being better, then you'd rethink what you just said. 2x12 tube combos are heavy as **** and usually MUCH harder to carry. I'd much prefer carrying a 4x12 and head than a 2x12 combo :shrug:

That being said... Seems kinda silly to waste money on an amp you already have.

icronic 11-24-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
If you're about lighter being better, then you'd rethink what you just said. 2x12 tube combos are heavy as **** and usually MUCH harder to carry. I'd much prefer carrying a 4x12 and head than a 2x12 combo :shrug:

That being said... Seems kinda silly to waste money on an amp you already have.


+1

Unless it's an Orange or Mesa 4x12... They're easier to carry than a combo of equal weight, but how many combos can you think of that are 110lbs?

red.guitar 11-24-2012 06:27 PM

If you've got an amp that you like, then why upgrade for a bigger version, unless you need it. You could always pickup a guitar, and then buy a 2x12 cab to hook up to your marshall.

B&J 11-24-2012 06:28 PM

May i be the person you all gonna hate in this thread? In case of yes, i'm gonna be the person to first say work on your technique, because that can make you sound better without spending a single dollar.

Next to that i know there's people who say you can make a cheap guitar sound good through a great amp, but i would advocate the opposite. My pretty expensive guitar sounds great over my very cheap orange amp. In fact i love the sound more than i love the sound of my fender blues junior crapbox :D

icronic 11-24-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
May i be the person you all gonna hate in this thread? In case of yes, i'm gonna be the person to first say work on your technique, because that can make you sound better without spending a single dollar.

Next to that i know there's people who say you can make a cheap guitar sound good through a great amp, but i would advocate the opposite. My pretty expensive guitar sounds great over my very cheap orange amp. In fact i love the sound more than i love the sound of my fender blues junior crapbox :D


While you're making a valid point, there's no real way of knowing how good his technique is without hearing him play...

Yeah good players can make crap equipment sound good, and bad players can make good equipment sound terrible... But lets compare a good player on a cheap amp vs the same guy on a not crap amp :)


Crap amp


Not crap amp

See the difference :)

MatrixClaw 11-24-2012 07:06 PM

^While your point is valid, your reference is not.

First off, I like the Class 5 :cry:

Second off, the audio sounds like it's coming from the PA system, not the soundboard like it is in the second. The "crappiness" you're hearing could very well just be due to where the mic is picking up the audio from, how well balanced the mix is coming out of the PA and the actual room it's being played in.

Third off, I much prefer the amp sound in the first video over the second's harsh and grainy rhythm tone :shrug:

B&J 11-24-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
^While your point is valid, your reference is not.

First off, I like the Class 5 :cry:

Second off, the audio sounds like it's coming from the PA system, not the soundboard like it is in the second. The "crappiness" you're hearing could very well just be due to where the mic is picking up the audio from, how well balanced the mix is coming out of the PA and the actual room it's being played in.

Third off, I much prefer the amp sound in the first video over the second's harsh and grainy rhythm tone :shrug:

Conclusion you cant judge concert videos.... wow really?? And all this time i was thinking they really didnt sing or play a single not out of tune. Thanks for ruining that moment :shrug: :P

MatrixClaw 11-24-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
Conclusion you cant judge concert videos.... wow really?? And all this time i was thinking they really didnt sing or play a single not out of tune. Thanks for ruining that moment :shrug: :P

Wat.

W4RP1G 11-24-2012 07:45 PM

Is a 4x12 really better than just getting another 2x12?

KG6_Steven 11-24-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
If you're about lighter being better, then you'd rethink what you just said. 2x12 tube combos are heavy as **** and usually MUCH harder to carry. I'd much prefer carrying a 4x12 and head than a 2x12 combo :shrug:

That being said... Seems kinda silly to waste money on an amp you already have.



I maintain what I said earlier. While I'm not familiar with the weight of a Marshall 4x12, I do know that the weight of a Mesa 4x12 is close to 115 lbs. Still want to carry that 4x12? ;)

I'd rather carry my light combos any day of the week.

Cathbard 11-24-2012 11:11 PM

Stick your combo on top of a 2x12 and buy another guitar with the money you save.

You don't carry a 4x12 or a JCM900 - you use a trolley, dumbasses. Who cares what it weighs? There's this invention called the wheel. You may have heard of it. ;)

B&J 11-24-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Stick your combo on top of a 2x12 and buy another guitar with the money you save.

You don't carry a 4x12 or a JCM900 - you use a trolley, dumbasses. Who cares what it weighs? There's this invention called the wheel. You may have heard of it. ;)

Let me tell you about something new dude, there's this thing called an assistant :haha:

Cathbard 11-24-2012 11:16 PM

Yeah, and they'll usually work for beer too. You still should be supplying a trolley for him to use though otherwise he will demand more beer and may drop your gear.

KG6_Steven 11-25-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Stick your combo on top of a 2x12 and buy another guitar with the money you save.

You don't carry a 4x12 or a JCM900 - you use a trolley, dumbasses. Who cares what it weighs? There's this invention called the wheel. You may have heard of it. ;)



Sure have. Use your wheel to get it up into the back of your vehicle. Let me know how that works out for you. :)

You're also assuming that everyone has a trolley. I thought those were in San Francisco? Not everyone has a hand truck.

I'll still stick with my combos. You guys can heft your 115lb cabs around. Leave the trolleys in San Fran.

Cathbard 11-25-2012 12:35 AM

When you're lifting it into the truck there are people around to help normally.
Hand truck, trolley, dolly, potayto, potarto. People call them different things all around the world.
What you call trolleys in San Fransisco we call trams. Your terminologies are your own.

Something like this:

MatrixClaw 11-25-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I maintain what I said earlier. While I'm not familiar with the weight of a Marshall 4x12, I do know that the weight of a Mesa 4x12 is close to 115 lbs. Still want to carry that 4x12? ;)

I'd rather carry my light combos any day of the week.

Yep.

I had a Mesa OS and Marshall 1960A 4x12 at the time when I had my 5150 2x12 combo and Road King 2x12 combo. As big as the 4x12 was (actually, not that much bigger than either combo), it was MUCH easier to carry, because it had two handles and the weight was much more evenly distributed. I could carry the 4x12 up and down the stairs in my house no problem, those combos on the other hand, hell no! :haha:

R45VT 11-25-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Yep.

I had a Mesa OS and Marshall 1960A 4x12 at the time when I had my 5150 2x12 combo and Road King 2x12 combo. As big as the 4x12 was (actually, not that much bigger than either combo), it was MUCH easier to carry, because it had two handles and the weight was much more evenly distributed. I could carry the 4x12 up and down the stairs in my house no problem, those combos on the other hand, hell no! :haha:


x2

My mark v combo is 110 or so if i remember correctly with only one small handle. Horrible to carry. 4x12 with 2 handles, much easier.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.