UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   EVH Wolfgang Special (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574644)

DD705 11-25-2012 11:22 AM

EVH Wolfgang Special

I just recently saw an EVH Wolfgang Special in a reputable Guitar Shop with "Made in China" marked on the back of the headstock below the Fender logo... I thought the Specials were made in Japan??? Does anyone have any insight on this?

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 11:42 AM

Not anymore, even Charvel ceased production in Japan. Its all made by the C.H. Ina company.

Dave_Mc 11-25-2012 11:55 AM

aw shit, seems the chushin gakki closure is the gift that just keeps on giving :sad:

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 12:12 PM

Aw, shit, that sucks. I LOVE the Wolfgangs. :sad:

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 12:16 PM

The Specials weren't that great to begin with. A friend of mine has a Music Man Axis, Peavey Wolfgang and bought a MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special really cheap about a year ago to flip and wasn't impressed at all compared to the other two. Buying a used Peavey or Music Man is a much better option.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOTM80
The Specials weren't that great to begin with. A friend of mine has a Music Man Axis, Peavey Wolfgang and bought a MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special really cheap about a year ago to flip and wasn't impressed at all compared to the other two. Buying a used Peavey or Music Man is a much better option.

Why didn't he like it?

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 12:33 PM

Wasn't up to par quality and tone wise compared to the others, even for the price he said.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:
Wasn't up to par quality and tone wise compared to the others, even for the price he said.

Did he say how it wasn't as good?

I seem to be probing here, but i'm genuinely curious because i was considering getting a Wolfgang special once. I've even heard from some people that even the EVH USA ones are crap compared to the Peaveys and Musicman's but nobody has given a proper reason why. EVH is owned by Fender. To say that EVH sucks is to say that Fender sucks.

DD705 11-25-2012 01:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback DSOTM80...

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Did he say how it wasn't as good?

I seem to be probing here, but i'm genuinely curious because i was considering getting a Wolfgang special once. I've even heard from some people that even the EVH USA ones are crap compared to the Peaveys and Musicman's but nobody has given a proper reason why. EVH is owned by Fender. To say that EVH sucks is to say that Fender sucks.

If I remember right he said the main thing he found lacking with the guitar was the tone. Of course, thats individual and changes from one guitar to the next. His main gripe was that for the same price he could have a Peavey Wolfgang with a nicer top, birdseye neck and better bridge.

Regarding the USA EVH Wolfgang models, my biggest problem with them is this....its overpriced for what it is. Now, I'm a huge VH fan and I think his MXR stuff is awesome, his EVH Frankie pup I had in a guitar I sold and it sounded great however once again for the price you can save at least $500 and get a brand new Music Man Axis and be guaranteed a killer instrument. I have one and its the best guitar I ever played.

This is only my opinion, and if you're in the market to buy one of these guitars then try them out first. Try the Music Man Axis, then try a Wolfgang and see which one is better for you.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:
If I remember right he said the main thing he found lacking with the guitar was the tone. Of course, thats individual and changes from one guitar to the next. His main gripe was that for the same price he could have a Peavey Wolfgang with a nicer top, birdseye neck and better bridge.

Don't they come with bridseye maple fingerboards, nice tops and a really good EVH Floyd anyway? I thought the EVH custom humbuckers were supposed to be really, really nice.
Quote:
Regarding the USA EVH Wolfgang models, my biggest problem with them is this....its overpriced for what it is. Now, I'm a huge VH fan and I think his MXR stuff is awesome, his EVH Frankie pup I had in a guitar I sold and it sounded great however once again for the price you can save at least $500 and get a brand new Music Man Axis and be guaranteed a killer instrument. I have one and its the best guitar I ever played.

This is only my opinion, and if you're in the market to buy one of these guitars then try them out first. Try the Music Man Axis, then try a Wolfgang and see which one is better for you.

I agree they're expensive but they're faultlessly made.

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 06:35 PM

Not sure about the Specials, but the USA models come with a plain maple neck and a birdseye fingerboard. Apparently, they say its to make the neck stronger but how more stronger do you need it when its already got a graphite truss rod?

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 06:38 PM

Also, from what I heard the Floyd on the EVH is made in Korea. You can tell because the back of the saddles are tapered off or whatever its called and not squared off like on the German made OFR

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 06:45 PM

Here's what I'm talking about....

One on the left is a Floyd Rose Special, on the right is a German made OFR and the photo below is the EVH branded FR bridge

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 07:08 PM

Ah.

But aren't the EVH Floyd Roses on the USA Wolfgangs licensed? Surely they're not as bad as something like a Floyd Rose Special or something?

DSOTM80 11-25-2012 07:11 PM

I don't know whats on the Wolfgang Special guitars in terms of bridges, but I think its the same as the USA models. Same pickups, same bridges, same hardware just different place of manufacture and no arch top. I was commenting that the USA models have what it seems like Floyd Rose Special bridges, otherwise those saddles would be different.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 07:19 PM

This is just speculation you're on about, right?

DSOTM80 11-26-2012 02:00 PM

Nope

T00DEEPBLUE 11-26-2012 02:14 PM

Then why would you spend $3000 on a guitar with a FR Special?

dementiacaptain 11-26-2012 02:26 PM

I believe you have arrived at the point sir.