UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Censored or Uncensored Funnies? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574646)

HeavyMetalMan28 11-25-2012 11:44 AM

Censored or Uncensored Funnies?

When it comes to comedy, do you guys prefer your swear words to be censored or uncensored? Or does it just depend on what it is? For example, I think the censored version of this sketch is way funnier than the uncensored version:

And here's the uncensored version:

What do you think, Pit? For me, a well-placed bleep can be hilarious.

ChucklesMginty 11-25-2012 11:46 AM

Why the hell would you want it censored? Unless it's part of the joke like this:

lushacrous 11-25-2012 11:46 AM

Intentional censorship can be funny. Forced censorship is lamesauce. WKUK is always objectively funny.

FireFromTheVoid 11-25-2012 11:52 AM

Though the title said furries.

Weaponized 11-25-2012 11:53 AM

Censorship is ****ing shit.

primusfan 11-25-2012 11:58 AM

it depends. you know when they release the original R rated versions of PG-13 movies? never seem to be as good. i wonder if that's the nostalgia factor. saving silverman is much funnier as a PG-13 movie than an R movie. a lot of jokes work better as clean jokes. it takes no effort to drop a bunch of f bombs and make shit jokes. you have to be clever to say it without saying it.

CoreysMonster 11-25-2012 11:59 AM

Censorship is ******ed and stupid and I hate the FCC, the FSK, the USK and all their other slimy shitty mouthbreathing brethren.

HeavyMetalMan28 11-25-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
it depends. you know when they release the original R rated versions of PG-13 movies? never seem to be as good. i wonder if that's the nostalgia factor. saving silverman is much funnier as a PG-13 movie than an R movie. a lot of jokes work better as clean jokes. it takes no effort to drop a bunch of f bombs and make shit jokes. you have to be clever to say it without saying it.

This is my line of thinking a lot of the time as well. Censorship can help creativity in some cases. Not all cases, mind you, but some.

As a side note, I love watching R movies on like FX or TNT to laugh at all the hilariously bad replacements for the swear words.

primusfan 11-25-2012 12:05 PM

the big lebowski is great at that because the coens negotiated that they can write their own replacement dialogue. subsequently ... it is awesomely bad.

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/big-lebowski-tv-edit/

Bob_Sacamano 11-25-2012 12:06 PM

**** the ****s

Eastwinn 11-25-2012 12:07 PM

bleeping brings attention to the word, which can be hilarious. the video you posted, TS, was horrible. but it was less horrible with the censor. what I really hate is when they just blank out the audio. then it feels awkward.

triglide5 11-25-2012 12:31 PM

Before you f#cking know it they will f#cking start f#cking censoring us f#cking here!

Ichikurosaki 11-25-2012 12:32 PM

every word should be censored except the word "shit"

stonedhippos 11-25-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
bleeping brings attention to the word, which can be hilarious. the video you posted, TS, was horrible. but it was less horrible with the censor. what I really hate is when they just blank out the audio. then it feels awkward.

here is a better example of when censoring can be better and make things more funny.

here is the uncensored version

whywefight 11-25-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn

This basically

Edit: and ironically. People might pay less attention to swearing in a tv show if it wasn't for the constant loud beeps.

soundgarden1986 11-25-2012 01:08 PM

Uncensored all the way. However, I will say that certain movie scenes can be funny if you watch the dumb TV version after seeing the original ("this is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps", instead of "this is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass")

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
the big lebowski is great at that because the coens negotiated that they can write their own replacement dialogue. subsequently ... it is awesomely bad.

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/big-lebowski-tv-edit/

This guy gets it.

T00DEEPBLUE 11-25-2012 01:17 PM

Censorship can be really funny, but it depends on how it's used.

Pagan_Poetry 11-25-2012 01:18 PM

Only when it is intentional.

crazysam23_Atax 11-25-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Censorship is ******ed and stupid and I hate the FCC, the FSK, the USK and all their other slimy shitty mouthbreathing brethren.

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Corey!

OT:
It depends. I don't really enjoy it when comedians make jokes where the "funny" element is how many times they say swear words. I don't mind swear words, but it's really lame when the punchline is implied to be "fuck" or "shit". Making a creative joke takes more than just add a few "naughty" words.

eGraham 11-25-2012 01:21 PM

Sometimes I find bleeps to be humorous, especially when they are unexpected.

Also, the "This is what happens when you fight a stranger in the alps!" is hilarious because it's totally irrelevant to everything.