UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I'm in a bit of a funk... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574784)

SGstriker 11-26-2012 12:51 AM

I'm in a bit of a funk...

I've been having a hard time writing anything I find interesting, lately. I'm the main songwriter for my band, and I can still write music for them, and it's good for that genre (well, good to me and the band mates, anyways), but it's not really music that dictates how I feel. And after all, isn't that what music is? An expression of how the artist is feeling?
The music my band plays is rock n roll. And it's the type of rock n roll that has no room for lyrics and music that express how I've felt lately (I'm not going to go into that. let's just say I have a lot of very personal things to write about).

But when I sit down and try to write music that expresses how I truly feel about things, I just...can't seem to do it. Neither lyrics, nor music. It all just feels uninspired to me, even though the inspiration is there.

It's really disappointing to me, and it's making me wonder if I'm even cut out for the whole music thing in the first place.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? And do you have any tips for overcoming this?

TL;DR I'm in a musical funk and I am having a hard time writing music about how I truly feel.

Trowzaa 11-26-2012 12:53 AM

I've been that way for the past year. I always write something that I think's decent at the time, get up the next day and realise it's a bag of wank and delete it all. I think I've only ever written 2 songs I'm actually proud of.

Hungryformore21 11-26-2012 01:01 AM

I know that feel, man. Here is something that I've been doing though lately and it has been helping tremendously; go out and just try writing music in places that really inspire you. If you're, and I'm not assuming that this is your situation but here is an example, crammed up in your bland dimly lit room you probably will have a hard time converting those inner feels into music. My remedy though is packing the guitar up and walking somewhere scenic (and often at night I may add) until I find a spot that just feels right to me. I've written some of my best stuff on dark cold nights outdoors. Just a suggestion though :)

SGstriker 11-26-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I've been that way for the past year. I always write something that I think's decent at the time, get up the next day and realise it's a bag of wank and delete it all. I think I've only ever written 2 songs I'm actually proud of.

At least you think it's decent for a day. Typically, I think it's shit after about 5 minutes of starting the project.

Also, "bag of wank"... that made me laugh...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungryformore21
I know that feel, man. Here is something that I've been doing though lately and it has been helping tremendously; go out and just try writing music in places that really inspire you. If you're, and I'm not assuming that this is your situation but here is an example, crammed up in your bland dimly lit room you probably will have a hard time converting those inner feels into music. My remedy though is packing the guitar up and walking somewhere scenic (and often at night I may add) until I find a spot that just feels right to me. I've written some of my best stuff on dark cold nights outdoors. Just a suggestion though :)

I could try that. Though to be honest, the feelings I'm trying to write about...a dimly-lit room fits them perfectly. :haha:

:(

mulefish 11-26-2012 01:07 AM

Maybe try meditating before you write anything? Get into the headspace first - and than pick up the guitar and try to express it :shrug:

calnix 11-26-2012 01:12 AM

airduster usually gets my creative juices flowin

vIsIbleNoIsE 11-26-2012 01:12 AM

maybe you're trying to write in the wrong genre? when i get stuck sometimes i reevaluate my musical preferences at that specific time and try to understand why.

Trowzaa 11-26-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungryformore21
I've written some of my best stuff on dark cold nights outdoors. Just a suggestion though :)

This part. Some of my best stuff has come from walking home from my mate's at like 1am.

SGstriker 11-26-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
maybe you're trying to write in the wrong genre? when i get stuck sometimes i reevaluate my musical preferences at that specific time and try to understand why.

That could very well be it. The music I'm used to writing is more of a 70s-80s hard rock/rock n roll. But the music I've been feeling like writing lately is more on the alternative side of things. It fits how I feel more closely than anything else.

3w0kw4rr10r 11-26-2012 01:45 AM

Masturbate. Masturbation fixes everything

MAC2322 11-26-2012 01:50 AM

Write a song about how shitty writing songs is when you don't feel them.

Spaztikko 11-26-2012 01:55 AM

You need to write funk.

BledGhostWhite 11-26-2012 01:56 AM

It's kind of vague advice, I suppose, but I'd say try coming at songwriting from as many angles as you can. Songwriting isn't formulaic, and you might find some pleasantly surprising results if you venture outside what you're used to.

swave75 11-26-2012 02:03 AM

I am in the same funk except not in songwriting but in the world of art. I have not done anything over a year. It's a hard thing to go through. In your case I like what BledGhostWhite said. Try it all angle. It doesn't always have to be verse chorus verse. Try writing somethings down and then see what fits.

Spaztikko 11-26-2012 03:20 AM

Here's some inspiration for you.

snipelfritz 11-26-2012 03:25 AM

You stupid fuck. Get drunk and write some music.

T7E 11-26-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:
And it's the type of rock n roll that has no room for lyrics and music that express how I've felt lately (I'm not going to go into that. let's just say I have a lot of very personal things to write about).

Maybe try writing without focusing on making it for your band. Just get it on paper. Don't write with the aim of writing a song (Like **** rhyming schemes and all that bullshit right off). Just get raw writing, what i like to call wordspew, down on paper and see what happens. What harm can it do? Once you remove the barriers of genre limitation, it will come much easier. vIsIbleNoIsE made this point previously. and it was a good one.

Also, be honest with your bandmates about it. Maybe they will be accommodating to a slight change in style due to what is happening in your life. If they are decent blokes they should be understanding, and it is these little changes from the norm that can help bring a uniqueness to your sound that not many other bands will have.
If they are not, think about leaving the band. If you aren't making the right music or this period of your life, then maybe you would be better off without the stress of struggling in a situation that isn't working for you. For me, writing music and words (NOT LYRICS!!!! WORDS!!!!) can be an extremely therapeutic process, an outlet even, and I know that if I was in a situation like yours I wouldn't know what to do.

Hope some of this helps bro. Good luck

Bob_Sacamano 11-26-2012 04:32 AM

Yeah man, just be diverse and write what you want to write, and only write when you want to write.

Obsceneairwaves 11-26-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
Yeah man, just be diverse and write what you want to write, and only write when you want to write.

flip side of that is, kurt cobain wrote some really awesome shit when he was pressed into it.

but ts, Don't worry about it. just write a song, if you don't like it? who cares, write another.
just have fun man, don't take it too seriously

heavyairship 11-26-2012 02:31 PM

write about how you want to feel instead of how you currently feel.
write songs for a different genre.
write something everyday.(best songwriting advice I've ever received)
read.
write poems instead of songs.
write stories instead of songs.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Sometimes it just takes time to process how you feel so you can express it correctly, especially if you are going through some intense things.