UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   sounding like tosin (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574804)

jackson4321 11-26-2012 04:08 AM

sounding like tosin

hi forum,

i've been a fan of animals as leaders for quite some time now, i have both albums and recently bought a 7 string guitar. i was wondering how i could improve my playing to be more like tosin abasi's playing. i previously play shred, progressive and thrash metal.

where should i start to learn to play like tosin? i was thinking starting to learn jazz but where would i start with learning jazz?

also, are there any techniques i should learn? i think the main techniques he uses are:

-alternative picking
-finger picking
-hybrid picking
-economy picking
-sweeping
-tapping

i've also seen that bass technique called "thumping" or something. any tips on learning that?

thanks

griffRG7321 11-26-2012 05:20 AM

Learn AAL songs.

Reages 11-26-2012 05:41 AM

is hybrid picking a technique where you apply no technique?

GazzaCee 11-26-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reages
is hybrid picking a technique where you apply no technique?

It's where you use both a pick and your fingers.

EpiExplorer 11-26-2012 06:25 AM

He's big on legato, sweep and alternate picking, coupled with polyrhythmic timing (like triplets), but he's also big on combining all those techniques with tapping. He also has this technique where he uses his thumb like a slap bassist on the lower strings of his 8 string.

steven seagull 11-26-2012 06:48 AM

Before you start worrying about techniques you need to learn a hell of a lot about music.

juckfush 11-26-2012 08:00 AM

The list of techniques you've written out has little-to-no bearing on Tosin's sound. Each form of ''picking'' listed is just that; a manner of picking, or sounding a note. The important aspects of Tosin's sounds are which notes are being played, and where, relative to one-another.

Studying AAL compositions and the phrasing, harmonies and voicings used will be much more beneficial to you in unlocking the secrets of Tosin's sound than learning the techniques used to comfortably executing those sounds.

omidmash 11-26-2012 10:07 AM

It's called Slap and not 'thumping'.

Learning techniques solely by themselves is going to be as useless as buying a Ferrari and not having any money left to fuel it up.
Start listening and playing along AAL, learning songs etc. And learn theory. I don't listen to AAL myself but I know that Tosin is incredibly technical so you have to work your way around both composition and playing technique.

Hail 11-26-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash
It's called Slap and not 'thumping'.

tosin uses thump quite frequently and is inspired by the nashville bass scene (AKA overlord evan brewer)

and most of the time his thumb is only for accents. he uses that pick style mostly for odd groupings and "open" sounding tremolo picking rather than conventional slap.

omidmash 11-26-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
tosin uses thump quite frequently and is inspired by the nashville bass scene (AKA overlord evan brewer)

and most of the time his thumb is only for accents. he uses that pick style mostly for odd groupings and "open" sounding tremolo picking rather than conventional slap.

Um ok? How does this contribute to educating either me or the OP?

Hail 11-26-2012 07:17 PM

most people don't understand tosin's slap technique or it's origins. it's honestly the most interesting thing in his entire arsenal, and if you want to emulate his tone, songs like Earth Departure are the first place to look, as well as anything by Reggie Wooten because he was a frontrunner in the technique back in the day

Mister A.J. 11-26-2012 09:00 PM

Well, learn a f**k load of music theory, and study the phrasing that Mr. Abasi uses. While you're busy with those, learn to execute the techniques he uses effortlessly at the same time.