UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Recommend Me an Amp Please? :) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575329)

devilzdj4 11-29-2012 12:43 AM

Recommend Me an Amp Please? :)

So here's the deal: I have a Peavey Triple XXX that's currently in the shop getting repaired, but honestly I think I've grown out of the amp...it sounds beast but it is too beast for what I want to play. I feel like I don't use the amp to its fullest potential a.k.a. never putting the gain knobs past 2 or 3...

Now I play some groovy, bluesy, hard rock n' roll...I love that raw plexi sound.

Here's an example of my band and I jamming (P.S. I am using a Traynor combo in this video, not my Peavey):

I'm looking for a classic sounding amp - preferably EL84's, with effects loop, no more than 2 channels...built in reverb is a plus but not absolutely necessary. Kind of leaning towards 2x12 combo's and must be 50 watts. I'll be using this to jam with my band and to take to gigs so I want power but not too much (my XXX at 120watts is kind of an overkill if you ask me :p: )

Having said that, I've been taking the Peavey Classic 50 into consideration since it matches up pretty well with what I'm looking for, but I don't wanna jump into this too quick. I know there are other amps out there that could fit my needs just as well - and that's where YOU come in (hopefully...)! :D

I plan on selling the XXX for about $600-700, so let's say my budget would be $800 and at the very most 1G. But if I could get a sweet amp and save some dough for new pedals and such that would be cool too, ya dig? :cool:

So yeah. :peace:

Cathbard 11-29-2012 01:34 AM

Retube the XXX with JJ's and try a 12AT7 in V1 to drop the gain. Only run half the power tubes (and switch the impedance down one notch) to turn it into a 60W amp. Lot cheaper than buying a new amp.
Once you've sorted the amp it's time to talk about speakers. Run it into greenbacks with good quality low gain tubes and it'll get plenty bluesy. But speakers are a discussion in themselves and there are people here that know more about speakers than I.

devilzdj4 11-29-2012 01:50 AM

Yeah but man, I don't really dig the clean channel all that much on the XXX...and I've already re-tubed it with JJKT77's. I'm pretty much set on getting rid of it, so yeah... :P

Cathbard 11-29-2012 01:53 AM

The 12AT7 should fix the clean channel. It's like $10 to try it. Give it a go. You'd be surprised what a difference tubes and speaker can make to an amp - any amp, but the XXX more than most.
For $30 I can transform your amp, depending on what you have in there now. You just gotta know what to buy.

Volcz 11-29-2012 07:54 AM

Just thought I'd drop by to say, totally digging that jamming! Right up my ally ;)

ikey_ 11-29-2012 09:15 AM

whats the criteria for 50+ watts? do you play outdoors unmiced or something?

i mean despite there are no channel switching you kinda described a voc AC series or clone, i think carvin makes a decent 50 watt 2x12 at a good price, something from egnater is probably up your alley. rebel series or even a tweaker 40.

but yeah im with cath - i think you could coax some better blues tone out of the XXX.

i personally would prefer going boutique, but for what you want it would probably end up going lower wattage for that price point.

800 is kinda this middle ground. try looking used?

if i was going to do that i would be looking used mesa, new egnaters, used Dr. Z perhaps (lower wattage and mostly single channels, still amazing amps for clean and dirty though)

for the record, one of the sickest guitar players i know just got out of college and is now a career musician and he just invested in a boutique 15 watt as his main rig.

he said he never has an issue with cleans or whatever (but he almost always mics it). just sayin.

Dave_Mc 11-29-2012 09:23 AM

might be worth trying what cathbard said

really nice playing in that video :cheers:

devilzdj4 11-30-2012 08:59 PM

Firstly, thanks for the compliments! Now, I actually did think over and considered your advice Cathbard, but honestly I'd just rather sell the XXX for $700 and have a bit more flexibility budget-wise because it will allow me to maybe get a nice used combo in addition to some extra pedals or any accessories I may want/need as well.

@Ikey: You know your right man 50 watts is still effin' loud, around 30w miked would work for me as well....I just want to be able to sit above the drums and bass at times without and volume struggles. I don't mind some extra push too 'cos it makes them cleans sound so crystal clear, I just need the perfect amount of headroom.

Thanks a lot for the input, though!
I'll look into some of the other brands mentioned^

Supersonic-95 12-01-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdj4
So here's the deal: I have a Peavey Triple XXX that's currently in the shop getting repaired, but honestly I think I've grown out of the amp...it sounds beast but it is too beast for what I want to play. I feel like I don't use the amp to its fullest potential a.k.a. never putting the gain knobs past 2 or 3...

Now I play some groovy, bluesy, hard rock n' roll...I love that raw plexi sound.

Here's an example of my band and I jamming (P.S. I am using a Traynor combo in this video, not my Peavey):

I'm looking for a classic sounding amp - preferably EL84's, with effects loop, no more than 2 channels...built in reverb is a plus but not absolutely necessary. Kind of leaning towards 2x12 combo's and must be 50 watts. I'll be using this to jam with my band and to take to gigs so I want power but not too much (my XXX at 120watts is kind of an overkill if you ask me :p: )

Having said that, I've been taking the Peavey Classic 50 into consideration since it matches up pretty well with what I'm looking for, but I don't wanna jump into this too quick. I know there are other amps out there that could fit my needs just as well - and that's where YOU come in (hopefully...)! :D

I plan on selling the XXX for about $600-700, so let's say my budget would be $800 and at the very most 1G. But if I could get a sweet amp and save some dough for new pedals and such that would be cool too, ya dig? :cool:

So yeah. :peace:

Fantastic band - you are a really good guitarist. The only thing that confused me was that you're Canadian with an American flag?

ihartfood 12-01-2012 11:27 AM

the Classic 50 is perfect for that stuff. I like the 4x10 version best.
also look into a Vox AC30
Egnater Tweaker 40
Egnater Renegade
Egnater Rebel 40
Fender Super Sonic 22 or 60

Robbgnarly 12-01-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic-95
Fantastic band - you are a really good guitarist. The only thing that confused me was that you're Canadian with an American flag?

And it is upside down :eek:

Supersonic-95 12-01-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
And it is upside down :eek:

Anti American?

ikey_ 12-01-2012 02:08 PM

very true. sometimes there is a point to more watts. im just sayin it doesnt take 50 watts or more to get cleans.

i have a 40 watt and its about 2x the watts i wanted. the reason i bought the tweaker is they dont mind playing at bedroom levels....moreso than almost all amps i tried

ihartfood 12-01-2012 04:27 PM

what he means is he has a 40 watt and it's about twice the wattage he wanted

am I right?

ikey_ 12-02-2012 12:14 AM

yep woops. just caught that. i have 40, which was 2x what i wanted*. corrected.

devilzdj4 12-02-2012 03:53 AM

No, we're not Anti-American lmaoo! One of my friends put it I guess as an homage to RATM?...n'then someone taped "NOFX" on it. Whatever. :P:

But uhmm...The Vox AC30's: How do they compare to the Classic 50's, because I think Vox are building all their stuff in China now and Peavey is still made in U.S.A.

What are the noticeable differences in clean and dirty tone between the two?

trashedlostfdup 12-02-2012 04:19 AM

if you want to do the vox thing right, i would look into one of these: http://www.valvetechamps.com/the-amp

either the hayseed 30 or the hayseed 15. very different from eachother.

they sound great they make a better vox than vox has in quite a few decades.

a local guitarist has one (hayseed 15) and its orgasmic. i know its out of budget, but it is totally worth it. TGP may have one used on their classifieds, or you could try rig-talk. i have seen them in both places, not on UG though.

NortonDevon 12-02-2012 04:35 AM

I have an Kustom Quad 200 HD which is great for Punk or Hard Rock on its distortion setting. And on it has incredibly amazing cleans on its clean channel. It might be the type of thing you are looking for.

ikey_ 12-02-2012 10:59 AM

well yes but his budget is 800....

ihartfood 12-02-2012 02:15 PM

^^ eh...not really.

I like the AC30 and Classic 50 equally. although the Classic has two channels footswitchable which I prefer over the funky layout of the Vox's channels.

I also prefer the 50 watts of headroom so I have super sparkly cleans.