UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fast Picking - What's so different about the E & A strings ? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575914)

MattyPS 12-02-2012 12:09 PM

Fast Picking - What's so different about the E & A strings ?

Hi there,

I am trying to learn the song 'Tormentor' by Kreator. Apart from the speed, the riffs are SUPER easy to learn. Basically you have to alternate pick (and PM) the E and A strings and add a few intervals here and there.

When I'm picking the A string fast, everything is fine (even though I'm not at full speed yet).

However, when I switch to the E string, I encounter a strong resistance and I can't play fast at all.

The gauge I'm using : 9-46 (and the song is in standard tuning).

crazytjeuh 12-02-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPS
Hi there,

I am trying to learn the song 'Tormentor' by Kreator. Apart from the speed, the riffs are SUPER easy to learn. Basically you have to alternate pick (and PM) the E and A strings and add a few intervals here and there.

When I'm picking the A string fast, everything is fine (even though I'm not at full speed yet).

However, when I switch to the E string, I encounter a strong resistance and I can't play fast at all.

The gauge I'm using : 9-46 (and the song is in standard tuning).

I had this problem too but for me it was how i put my right hand. I needed to put my palm over the bridge because it gave me a better motion! There should be no problem regarding the string gauge you're using :)

ChemicalFire 12-02-2012 05:58 PM

Make sure you're as relaxed as you can be and your technique as good. It's normally only used in reference to your fretting hand but the old saying remains true:

"speed is a by-product of accuracy"

MattyPS 12-02-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytjeuh
I had this problem too but for me it was how i put my right hand. I needed to put my palm over the bridge because it gave me a better motion!

Do you change the way you are putting your hand depending on the string you pick?

Freepower 12-02-2012 08:23 PM

I would guess that you're leaning on the bridge for every string except for the low E (because there's no bridge lower than that string).

Check that out see it's the case.

If so, learn to pick without leaning on the bridge. Other than that, your posture may change for the E string - don't.

Other than that, practice. :p:

MattyPS 12-03-2012 02:09 PM

Well yes I am leaning on the bridge while picking. But I'm also leaning while picking the E string. Unless we are not talking about the same thing...

Why should I practice without leaning on the bridge?

Freepower 12-03-2012 05:51 PM

^^

MattyPS 12-06-2012 09:25 AM

I had already watched your video in the past. But unless I missed a point, I don't see how it is answering my question.

Freepower 12-06-2012 09:30 AM

Unless I forgot to mention it - pressing into the guitar is wasted effort, it doesn't achieve anything and it creates tension. It also restricts the motion of the right hand.

Can you video you picking on every string in consistent timing and then moving down to the low E and A?

MattyPS 12-06-2012 09:57 AM

Oh yes I got this interesting point. But it's not like a press into the bridge really hard, at least I don't think so.

Do you want me to play something in particular? Like a chromatic scale or open strings or something else?