UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Got a bit of an issue here. Need input! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575963)

Glimpsed.AM 12-02-2012 06:05 PM

Got a bit of an issue here. Need input!

Hi everyone, so today is December 2nd, and my band has a show on the 14th. I wanted to get my guitar set up and whatnot, but I also wanted to get a tremol-no.

So, if I ordered a tremol-no right now, paid for next day shipping and took my guitar to my local guitar shop to get set up as soon as it arrived, would that be a good idea? Would you guys do it, or should I just wait til after the show? It shouldn't take 2 weeks should it? I mean... My local shop isn't THAT busy.

cdr_salamander 12-02-2012 06:08 PM

What kind of guitar is it, and what trem system does it have on it?

Glimpsed.AM 12-02-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
What kind of guitar is it, and what trem system does it have on it?

Oh crap, sorry about that haha. Forgot to put that in there.

I have a Jackson DX10D 6 string. I took the crappy Jackson trem out and had an OFR installed.

cdr_salamander 12-02-2012 06:21 PM

Honestly, installing a Tremol-no is about as easy as changing the strings. You shouldn't need to take it to a tech. Watch a couple videos on how to install it, and you should be set.

EDIT: If you need your tech to setup your guitar, just ask if he can throw the thing in there while he has got the backplate and everything off.

R45VT 12-02-2012 06:23 PM

It's two screws and 1 adjustment. Doesn't get easier.

Glimpsed.AM 12-03-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Honestly, installing a Tremol-no is about as easy as changing the strings. You shouldn't need to take it to a tech. Watch a couple videos on how to install it, and you should be set.

EDIT: If you need your tech to setup your guitar, just ask if he can throw the thing in there while he has got the backplate and everything off.

That's actually what I was thinking. I have no trouble installing a tremol-no, but since I play in Drop B and a few other tunings, adjusting the bridge to the tunings always got me, I could get the bridge almost perfectly even. but one or two strings always sounded a little off. so when I got my 7 string done, I did the same thing, brought the tremol-no and had the whole guitar set up.

FatalGear41 12-04-2012 02:08 AM

A noob can install a Tremol-No in five minutes. There's even a YouTube video from the company showing you how to do it. There is really no reason to pay a tech to do it, unless you feel the need to have your guitar's action set up afterwards. It really is nothing more than two screws, stick the ground wire on (you don't even have to solder it) and re-install the springs. Easy-Peasy.

Cathbard 12-04-2012 02:40 AM

If you can't set up your guitar's action it's time to learn how. Being able to set up your instrument is all part of the craft.

cheapr2keepr 12-04-2012 03:33 AM

It was an easy install on my BC Rich ASM standard. I also increased the spring tension slightly so that the bridge wouldn't lift when I did a bend. I still get whammy dives, but tuning is stable and I can get more pitch shift for a given amount of bend.

It should be easy for a shop, and easy for you too. But you are taking a chance messing with your gear shortly before a show. Make sure you have adequate time to develop a contingency plan in case something goes wrong.

KrymsinViking 12-04-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
If you can't set up your guitar's action it's time to learn how. Being able to set up your instrument is all part of the craft.

I'd agree if he didn't have a show soon. Wouldn't want to get your stuff out of whack before you need it to perform. I'd learn sometime when you don't have a show emminant and/or you have a spare guitar to learn it on.

ragingkitty 12-04-2012 05:39 AM

A Tremol-no takes 10 minutes to setup! Its practically effortless, don't waste your money on a tech, you'll probably do a better job than they will.

Glimpsed.AM 12-04-2012 05:34 PM

Looks like it doesn't matter haha. All the websites have the pin-type tremol-no out of stock and won't get them in til the 21st or later. Guess I'll just send my guitar to get intonated first, then I'll install the tremol-no myself later.

tas38 12-04-2012 06:56 PM

Not to threadjack, but does the tremol-no have any tonal benefits? I just have 5 trem springs on my Strat. I've read about Strats having some "boing" from the springs, and I can kind of hear it.

Glimpsed.AM 12-05-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
Not to threadjack, but does the tremol-no have any tonal benefits? I just have 5 trem springs on my Strat. I've read about Strats having some "boing" from the springs, and I can kind of hear it.

Can't say I've ever met anyone with more than 3-4 springs in their guitar, I had 4 once and no matter how I adjusted it, it either made the tension too high on the strings or the trem bar was just too difficult to push/pull for my liking.

I haven't heard of the tremol-no having any tonal benefits though. However, when I first got my 6 string Jackson (My Loomis sig never made any noise that I could hear) the springs made the same noise you are referring to, but over the years, that noise has gone away. Maybe it's just that they have to be "broken in" or something? It may also be because you have 5 springs in your guitar... Both my 6 and 7 strings have 3 springs only, and most of my band mates/friends don't have more than 3 springs in any of their guitars.

tas38 12-05-2012 02:59 AM

Using 5 strings keeps the bridge from moving at all. When you say they only used 3 or 4, did anybody use their tremolo arm?