UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Maxing out the gain... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575985)

BoneAndDream 12-02-2012 08:55 PM

Maxing out the gain...

a friend of mine has a 6505+ and i asked him why the gain was on 10, he said he liked how it sounded. my god, i'm a serious death metal player myself but i couldnt imagine diming the gain ever. why would people do this? just....why?

joe_k 12-02-2012 09:00 PM

they do it for the metlulz.

gumbilicious 12-02-2012 09:04 PM

i just run my guitar through a moog freqbox on square wave setting now. max clipping.

i used to do that when i was first starting. i didn't know any better.

Offworld92 12-02-2012 09:21 PM

To be fair, there's not really any difference between 7 and 10 on a 6505. Don't worry about it, people do things with their gear that you won't like... it's theirs, not yours.

BoneAndDream 12-02-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
To be fair, there's not really any difference between 7 and 10 on a 6505. Don't worry about it, people do things with their gear that you won't like... it's theirs, not yours.

yeah i know, if they like it then they should do it it just seems so strange

Tempoe 12-02-2012 09:33 PM

After 7 it just gets messier. The guy would sound better at 6 for sure

Cathbard 12-03-2012 01:27 AM

Maybe he wants mushy to cover his mistakes. ;)

innertom 12-03-2012 02:00 AM

why do people play in drop c and shit? your best of just letting people do what they want.
everyone has different tastes, let him do his thing and one day he will figure out that more gain isnt better

darkwolf291 12-03-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innertom
why do people play in drop c and shit?

To play within the Vocalist's vocal range

innertom 12-03-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
To play within the Vocalist's vocal range

if only that was why all people did it :shrug:

nickdohle 12-03-2012 02:08 AM

Maybe he just likes mud.

I keep my gain on my DSL at 5, sometimes 6 and that is too much gain for me. I can accomplish every thing I need with that. When I played a 6505 I had the gain at 3

darkwolf291 12-03-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Well, a lower tuning DOES sound heavier.
It's the extra low end.

Offworld92 12-03-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:
why do people play in drop c and shit? your best of just letting people do what they want.
everyone has different tastes, let him do his thing and one day he will figure out that more gain isnt better

Oh god, a whole step down with the bottom string dropped? SO LOW.

Ian_the_fox 12-03-2012 11:23 AM

Anyone who needs gain as high as a 6505 on 10 really needs to get their shit together and learn how to play and sound heavy and not use tons of distortion to cover up their mistakes. The drive knob on a 6505 shouldn't cross 4 unless you are younger than 16.

Seriously, as of recently I've been running my Jet City with the preamp knob on 3. Heavy sound comes from tight and aggressive right-hand technique, not a shit ton of distortion.

Quote:
Not all vocalists are like Rob Halford or Geddy Lee. If you like blowing your voice box out straining to hit notes out of your range, fine with me.

I think full-step down + thicker strings gives better tone anyway.

Cathbard 12-03-2012 11:31 AM

Drop D is fun and it isn't just for metalheads singing like cookie monster.

tas38 12-03-2012 04:01 PM

Lower tunings have a thicker sound, and sometimes the notes being called on to play are lower than E. I actually play with it at D#. It was just a lot more comfortable since I primarily play 4ths and 5ths. I started doing it when I first started playing and now it's stuck with me.

ihartfood 12-03-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Anyone who needs gain as high as a 6505 on 10 really needs to get their shit together and learn how to play and sound heavy and not use tons of distortion to cover up their mistakes. The drive knob on a 6505 shouldn't cross 4 unless you are younger than 16.

it's always about age with you isn't it. I agree with you about 1/2 or full step down and thick strings gives better tone.

and lol cookie monster again.

ikey_ 12-03-2012 08:55 PM

i can see drop C like system of of a down and a lot of heavy stuff, chevel, breaking benjamin, etc, etc.

no lower. but honestly, if you think you need to drop to sound heavy, you need to listen to more music cause drop D and whole step down can sound heavy as heck.

i think dropped tunings are more for a playing style than the sound. playing drop C is worlds difference than standard. worlds.

being able to fret power chords with 1 finger, and basically hammer out chords with 3-4 fingers very quickly definitely gives a differernt riffage....a la system of a down.

not to mention all your notes are all moved around plus the dropped string.

Offworld92 12-03-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
i think dropped tunings are more for a playing style than the sound. playing drop C is worlds difference than standard. worlds.

being able to fret power chords with 1 finger, and basically hammer out chords with 3-4 fingers very quickly definitely gives a differernt riffage....a la system of a down.

not to mention all your notes are all moved around plus the dropped string.

Absolutely this. It's really unfortunate how many "I will never play that metal shit" people (and even a ton of metal players) don't realize this. I have a guitar in Drop C, and a guitar in C Standard. I come up with completely different styles of riffs on each. You can make riffs on one you just can't make on the other.

I don't think any tuning is wrong, and I find it kind of silly that people care. If it sits well in the mix and everything meshes well (vocals and guitars), then it's good. It's important to not be ignorant about stuff just because you don't like it. A lot of people don't like extreme/death metal, and that's fine. They don't have to. But don't write off B standard and C Standard just because you don't use your voice that low.

innertom 12-03-2012 11:22 PM

Was just trying to use an example of letting people do there own thing.
Appologies if I afended anyone. I have no problem with drop tuning where appropriate.