UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to make lead and rhythm guitar parts that go together? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576153)

doyouevenlift 12-03-2012 06:48 PM

How to make lead and rhythm guitar parts that go together?

Hey guys guitar beginner here, and im wondering, how do guitarists make guitar parts? Do they just put random things that they know and hope the parts sounds good together? Or is there a specific way to do it? Sorry if this is a stupid question

CryogenicHusk 12-03-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouevenlift
Hey guys guitar beginner here, and im wondering, how do guitarists make guitar parts? Do they just put random things that they know and hope the parts sounds good together? Or is there a specific way to do it? Sorry if this is a stupid question

I wouldn't say there's anything random to it. Many usually do whatever sounds good, which works out to the rhythm providing a background (or harmony) to the lead (or melody). If it doesn't sound like crap, that is most likely why, whether they knew exactly what they were doing or came up with it and kept it just cause it sounded good.

I'm a newb too, but if you read up a bit on harmony and melody and keys, that should be a good place to start. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will add more.

Geldin 12-03-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouevenlift

I write by listening. I listen to the melody in my head and teach myself to play it. Then I listen to the recording and figure out how to notate it (or I skip playing it entirely and just hop to notating it). Then I listen to that part, hum along, and keep going when the section playing back ends to try to figure out the melodic direction for the piece.

doyouevenlift 12-03-2012 09:59 PM

The thing is, im confused what chords to play and what lead notes to play over those chords. I dont know which sounds good with which...or do people just play whatever and hope that they go together? Like if i play some power chords that sound good together, i dont know how to make lead guitar notes to complement it

Geldin 12-03-2012 10:12 PM

musictheory.net

Read up the basics there. Bring back any specific questions you've got.

doyouevenlift 12-03-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks for the website. Its gonna help alot. Is there anything specific you want me to go over first? Sorry if im being annoying I just really want to improve

Edit: So i'm getting the idea that making a song is like taking chords from a key and then playing a corresponding scale?

91RG350 12-04-2012 02:39 AM

Learn the penatonic scale. Any note thats in it, do a power chord. Make a backing track with a few of those power chords in a simple chord progression. Play your pentatonic over it. Hey presto- rock. :) Enjoy.

Oh...and as I usually say when I give this advice, throw a TV out of a hotel room window too.

Freepower 12-04-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:
So i'm getting the idea that making a song is like taking chords from a key and then playing a corresponding scale?

The vast majority of the time, yes. :)

Saturated Fat 12-04-2012 08:03 PM

most importantly, don't forget this though:
Do it to express yourself.