UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Why do people take the back off of fenders (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576160)

Patsfan1281 12-03-2012 07:47 PM

Why do people take the back off of fenders

Do taking the back off have an affect on the sound or is just the looks

T00DEEPBLUE 12-03-2012 07:48 PM

It has no effect on either. How could taking the back cover off improve the tone?

The reason they take it off is to make it easier to access the springs in the back when one needs to.

Rickshaw Jah 12-03-2012 07:49 PM

Easy spring access.

Ninja'd by a pony. :rolleyes:

seabear70 12-03-2012 08:27 PM

In mycase I changed out hte tone block and it's just a little too long for the cavity. If I have the cover on, the springs push it out.

So I left it off and I'm happy with it like that.

ProphetToJables 12-03-2012 08:54 PM

I don't leave mine off just because I'm paranoid that a spring will pop out and hit me in the c*ck.

seabear70 12-03-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
I don't leave mine off just because I'm paranoid that a spring will pop out and hit me in the c*ck.

Have you considered shortening your strap?

jessem131 12-03-2012 09:12 PM

Some people claim it helps tone but I never noticed anything. I was just too lazy to put it back on after blocking the trem.

Rocketface2112 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

how often does one change the springs in the back of a guitar?? i can see adjusting it when you change strings but its not often enough to keep it off

i keep mine on cuz my guitar stand's back support would be holding the guitar right where the springs are and it would **** up my guitar. and shirt or pants can get caught in there, also looks better with it on

apparently its suppose to affect the tone in some way. something about the plastic absorbs some of the tone or some shit like that.some people believe it some dont .....

Artemis Entreri 12-03-2012 09:34 PM

To my ears it has a subtle (though I can't say better or worse) effect on the tone. For whatever reason I've chosen to leave mine off so I guess it sounds better without.

godisasniper 12-03-2012 09:35 PM

I leave it off because it's more comfortable that way. I don't think there's any tone difference, just an aesthetic and comfort choice.

oneblackened 12-03-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketface2112
how often does one change the springs in the back of a guitar?? i can see adjusting it when you change strings but its not often enough to keep it off

i keep mine on cuz my guitar stand's back support would be holding the guitar right where the springs are and it would **** up my guitar. and shirt or pants can get caught in there, also looks better with it on

apparently its suppose to affect the tone in some way. something about the plastic absorbs some of the tone or some shit like that.some people believe it some dont .....

It's not so much about changing the springs as adjusting them.

thebestjoe 12-03-2012 09:59 PM

On my guitars with back plates (All Floyd's, but same thing), I have them velcroed on, that way, I have easy spring access, and the plate can hold my spring mutes in place.

Sunshine86 12-03-2012 10:06 PM

I remove the trem cover because I wear my guitar rather high and it's uncomfortable against my ribs.

Rocketface2112 12-03-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
It's not so much about changing the springs as adjusting them.

ok but why is there a need to ever constantly be changing the tension of the springs? like i said its normally done when you change strings, one time, its set its done. of course if you change string gauges. thats different, but still you only set it one time.

Rickshaw Jah 12-03-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:
ok but why is there a need to ever constantly be changing the tension of the springs? like i said its normally done when you change strings, one time, its set its done. of course if you change string gauges. thats different, but still you only set it one time.

Different tunings. Some people change it up alot and don't own multiple guitars to compensate.

JustRooster 12-03-2012 10:26 PM

Mojo. A Strat with the back cover on can't let out the maximum amount of mojo.

dannyalcatraz 12-03-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables

Have you considered shortening your strap?

Well, if he doesn't do that, and a spring DOES pop out and hit him in the c*ck, both of his "straps" will be shortened.

W4RP1G 12-04-2012 12:04 AM

I keep it off because it's useless and can only serve to annoy me. That's the same reason I often leave truss rod covers off.

Plus, it's a Strat. I don't even think a strat should be clear coated. To me it's just a workhorse guitar.

samuraigoomba 12-04-2012 12:07 AM

They take off the cover so that it is easier to lose. This way, when they sell it to Guitar Center, they won't be able to find the trem cover.

That's why practically every ******* used guitar at Guitar Center has no trem cover. It's a global conspiracy, I tell you!

Addonexus408 12-04-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quick! someone make a back plate out of mahogany! knowing guitarists they would sell out in a heartbeat :rolleyes: