UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Buying a log pot but have no idea what to get. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576176)

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-03-2012 09:20 PM

Buying a log pot but have no idea what to get.

From the thread I posted yesterday about my amp being too loud I'm looking to buy some Log pots for my Hot Rod Deville 410. Because I work in a music store I have the luxury of being able to buy right from the manufacturer. Only problem is that I have no idea what to buy or what I should buy. What do you guys think I should get? This would be for my Master volume and my Volume knobs. Thanks once again!

gumbilicious 12-03-2012 10:02 PM

i would pull the chassis, look at the resistance value of the pot that is already there and then get a log version in the same value.

the master looks like a 100 K ohm. the volume looks like a 250 K ohm. i found that from the schematics, but don't take my word for it, you should double check.

Quote:
A letter code may be used to identify which taper is used, but the letter code definitions are not standardized. Newer potentiometers will usually be marked with an 'A' for logarithmic taper or a 'B' for linear taper. Older potentiometers may be marked with an 'A' for linear taper, a 'C' for logarithmic taper or a 'F' for anti-logarithmic taper.

but you should be able to just plug in 'audio taper pot' and the value and get hits.

mmolteratx 12-03-2012 10:16 PM

A is audio/log for all North American manufacturers. You might be able to order one from Fender that will fit stock, otherwise you'll have to bend a sheet metal jig yourself.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-04-2012 05:52 PM

Well that's strange. I just opened up the chassis right now and noticed that my Volume pot is marked "15A 250K" and my Master pot is marked "B100K" meaning that my Volume pot is logarithmic and my Master pot is linear. From what I've been told the design flaw is that both pots are linear. Guess that just means that I only need to buy one pot now! Woo!

mmolteratx 12-04-2012 05:56 PM

Newer ones come with log volume pots.

Cathbard 12-05-2012 12:56 AM

I said I thought they were both linear but I wasn't sure. Just replace the linear one. Try to get a good one like a Bourne. If you're going to the trouble of replacing it, use a good one, they aren't that much more expensive.

gumbilicious 12-05-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Well that's strange. I just opened up the chassis right now and noticed that my Volume pot is marked "15A 250K" and my Master pot is marked "B100K" meaning that my Volume pot is logarithmic and my Master pot is linear. From what I've been told the design flaw is that both pots are linear. Guess that just means that I only need to buy one pot now! Woo!

KICK ASS! i read a schematic correctly... you see that cath? :wtf:

seriously, schematics are my kryptonite, especially ones that complex. i should really do it more often and get better.

just change the B value one then. that would be your main culprit.

Cathbard 12-05-2012 01:09 AM

Good boy. Now you can have a cookie. :haha:

mmolteratx 12-05-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I said I thought they were both linear but I wasn't sure. Just replace the linear one. Try to get a good one like a Bourne. If you're going to the trouble of replacing it, use a good one, they aren't that much more expensive.

Only 1/4w pots will fit. And you need this jig:

Cathbard 12-05-2012 01:23 AM

What a PITA. Have I mentioned how much I hate PCB mounted pots? You end up with bs like that ^.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-05-2012 12:14 PM

Thanks for all of your help, guys! I've got myself an order to make.