UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What makes a good book? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576212)

StopReadingThis 12-04-2012 01:43 AM

What makes a good book?

This thread was inspired by a friend of mine who said that she could not get into 1984.

A lot of people don't like this book because they say that not much really happens. I personally loved this book.

I find that action isn't really that exciting to read, and so I don't understand why people don't like a book because the character isn't fighting zombies or blowing things up. Sure, there wasn't a lot of action in 1984, but I liked it because it made me think, I suppose. :shrug:

So, what makes a book good in your eyes?

Hydra150 12-04-2012 01:46 AM

Paper.

Pagan_Poetry 12-04-2012 01:47 AM

^ What? 1984 was brilliant. Back when I hated reading, it got me back into reading in high school. Absolutely gripping.

Pacing makes a book good. If a book calls for an in depth, 4 page description of an area, then so be it. If it doesn't, it will kill the book.
If a book calls for that kind of description and it isn't offered, same thing. Book will suck.
Of course many other things affect if a book is good or not, but, just like movies, if a book is aware of how it should be paced, then it is well made.

Joshua Garcia 12-04-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Paper.

And some letters. And maybe a number or two.

jakesmellspoo 12-04-2012 01:49 AM

werds and gewd speelig.

Hydra150 12-04-2012 01:50 AM

A good writer.
And the appropriate avenues of publication.

jakesmellspoo 12-04-2012 01:51 AM

pitchers.

Joshua Garcia 12-04-2012 01:52 AM

And a huge font so things are easier to read.

Addonexus408 12-04-2012 01:56 AM

I think author has a lot to do with it. I love everything i have read by Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Hinton because the style of the individuals portrayed in their writing.

Pagan_Poetry 12-04-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
I think author has a lot to do with it. I love everything i have read by Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Hinton because the style of the individuals portrayed in their writing.

Don't forget McCarthy. His style is just so unorthodox at times. Love it.
And Joyce. Joyce was a truly masterful writer.

crazysam23_Atax 12-04-2012 02:01 AM

For me, a well-developed and complex plot makes a good book.

There's way too many books that build up & up and then climax with something that amounts to "the good guy won" (and doesn't really have that good of a detailed description of the final battle, so to speak); this is especially true of the fantasy genre. However, those books that really grip are books that have a very complex and detailed plot throughout, including the ending. Tolkien is a great example of an author who understood this.

For the record, I found 1984 to be one of the best books I've ever read.

Addonexus408 12-04-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
Don't forget McCarthy. His style is just so unorthodox at times. Love it.
And Joyce. Joyce was a truly masterful writer.

No Country For Old Men was amazing, and ive been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Ulysses :)

mystical_1 12-04-2012 02:04 AM

I enjoy a good antagonist that you'd love to reach into the book to punch in the stomach, and tension building is an art form. Tension keeps you reading.

Also, extensive research about a subject before the book is written. One of my favorite authors, Ken Roberts would research for several years before writing a single word. Even Louis L'Amour who writes westerns would actually go to the locations he would write about first. It matters.

bradulator 12-04-2012 02:05 AM

It has to not be written by Jack Kerouac.

K'Nuckles 12-04-2012 02:08 AM

Good plot, character development, writing...

Pagan_Poetry 12-04-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
No Country For Old Men was amazing, and ive been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Ulysses :)

Do it do it do it.
It's so fucking long but you'll really feel like you've found something special just as soon as you start reading.

Mr.-Bungle 12-04-2012 02:37 AM

The perks of being a wallflower.

For me, it's felling a sense of relation to a character and "Charlie" has been the closest I've ever been to that.

StewieSwan 12-04-2012 02:43 AM

One thing I really enjoy (and this pertains to any kind of storytelling) is having a villain you can be sympathetic towards. Torn loyalties make great drama. None of that 'take over the world!' bullshit.

Pagan_Poetry 12-04-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
One thing I really enjoy (and this pertains to any kind of storytelling) is having a villain you can be sympathetic towards. Torn loyalties make great drama. None of that 'take over the world!' bullshit.

This applies to movies too.

ErikLensherr 12-04-2012 03:27 AM

It should have those buttons on the side that you press for sound effects, like this.

show

But it can't be in Russian. If I can't understand the language, there is significantly less of a chance I will finish it.

The exception is a book that was written in another language but then translated.