UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How much is this JCM worth? (Calling Cathbard!) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576266)

Tim the Rocker 12-04-2012 01:24 PM

How much is this JCM worth? (Calling Cathbard!)
 
Hello,


I've got an all original 1982 JCM800 SuperBass with vertical inputs.

It's been used, but it's not bad... just the tolex is a bit broken some places, but the wood enclosure is perfectly fine.


How much would I get for this amp on a North American market and on an European?

Robbgnarly 12-04-2012 01:27 PM

depending on how "bad" the tolex is tore, $800-1000 in the US but it could be more or less depending on the buyer

now if it has not been re-caped I wouldnt pay more than $550 for it because it is going to need $200+ worth of work (if you don't know how to do it and pay a tech)

tubetime86 12-04-2012 01:34 PM

Calling Cathbard for American and European prices? :confused:

There was an almost identical thread a couple weeks ago. The consensus was $1200 was the high mark, and the average probably just under $1000.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...cm+800+vertical

Tim the Rocker 12-04-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
depending on how "bad" the tolex is tore, $800-1000 in the US but it could be more or less depending on the buyer

now if it has not been re-caped I wouldnt pay more than $550 for it because it is going to need $200+ worth of work (if you don't know how to do it and pay a tech)


What is a re-cap? It plays perfectly...

EDIT: I bought it for 600 (750$, I think) So basically what I want to hear is that I didn't get punched in the face.

gregs1020 12-04-2012 01:52 PM

i'm gonna say ~$700 in the US.

tubetime86 12-04-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Rocker
What is a re-cap? It plays perfectly...

EDIT: I bought it for 600 (750$, I think) So basically what I want to hear is that I didn't get punched in the face.

I usually know when I've been punched in the face. :shrug:

Tim the Rocker 12-04-2012 01:59 PM

Well, the other band that rehearsed in my garage's bass player bought it for 550 and he kept blowing fuses, some what the tech said it couldn't handle the Low A on a bass guitar... so he offered it to me for 600, so he could make back the money spent on gas (that was foolish of me to accept) but he put it on top of my two marshall cabs and there is was, the JCM800, a tower of clean sounds. I got a gear-boner and had to have it.

Cathbard 12-04-2012 02:42 PM

I can tell you how it works, what tubes and speakers to run and how to fix it or mod it but I don't know prices over there, sorry.

Tim the Rocker 12-04-2012 05:09 PM

Ah, OK Cath. I just had an idea that you knew a whole lot about amps, so I took a blind shot in the dark.

Maybe on a side note you could explain what that re-capping someone was refering to is about?

tubetime86 12-04-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Rocker
Ah, OK Cath. I just had an idea that you knew a whole lot about amps, so I took a blind shot in the dark.

Maybe on a side note you could explain what that re-capping someone was refering to is about?

Capacitors go bad over time. If the amp has never been recapped then it definitely needs it. A bad cap can cause catastrophic failures that can damage other parts of the amp. New caps will also improve the sound of the amp a bit. It's similar to replacing the battery in your car; your car can run with a weak battery, but not well.

mmolteratx 12-04-2012 05:16 PM

Meh. It's unlikely that it needs to be recapped. Those old LCRs last practically forever. I'd bet he's still got another 15-20 years on them, more if he takes care of them correctly.

AtaBorMan 12-04-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Rocker
Ah, OK Cath. I just had an idea that you knew a whole lot about amps, so I took a blind shot in the dark.

Maybe on a side note you could explain what that re-capping someone was refering to is about?



As electrolytic capacitors get older, the electrolyte, which in most cases is a fluid, dries. This makes the capacitors capacitance change, which in turn affects the sound. Re-capping is replacing the old capacitors with new ones, usually the same value as the original ones.

tubetime86 12-04-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Meh. It's unlikely that it needs to be recapped. Those old LCRs last practically forever. I'd bet he's still got another 15-20 years on them, more if he takes care of them correctly.

Oh really? Never heard of that. :shrug:

TS - Matt knows better than I do so I trust his opinion.

Flux'D 12-04-2012 05:18 PM

Don't the Super Bass amps command a higher price than the 2203/4s? At least the JMP's did I thought?

Tim the Rocker 12-05-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Don't the Super Bass amps command a higher price than the 2203/4s? At least the JMP's did I thought?


Yea, that was where I was going. It's easy to find used jcm800 for guitar and the prices, but the superbass is a little less common and i'm having a hard time finding it.

ihartfood 12-05-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Don't the Super Bass amps command a higher price than the 2203/4s? At least the JMP's did I thought?

this


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.