UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WTF Is Wrong With My Schecter? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576287)

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 03:47 PM

WTF Is Wrong With My Schecter?

inb4 "It's a Schecter" :rolleyes:

So a few months back I purchased this guitar, and now have the time to address the issues it has. Ok, I've been a little lazy, but really, I've been busy.

It's a Schecter Avenger ATX, came with Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-1. I will admit I got the guitar for it's shape mostly, because the first time I saw one I fell in love with it. It also had a set neck with high access and active pups, so why not?

But the pups... what the $%$#?

First, they WILL NOT squeal. Pinch Harmonics are an absolute NO, and when I try to do one I look like an inexperienced jerkoff. However, I had a friend bring a starter guitar over (you know, cheap off brand guitar) and squealed right away. So before any one say anything about it being something else, it is definitely THIS guitar.

Second, the pups cut out. If I pick lightly, it's as if the pickups won't pick up the sound and turn off. Then I strum HARD and it starts back up. It also happens when switching pups. You know, you play a rhythm on the bridge pup and it's time to solo and melt faces, but right when you switch to the neck pup... nothing. Then I have to fiddle around and strum HARD to get it back. Also happens going from bridge to neck.

I've looked up on this and can't find anything about it and I am completely clueless...

If anyone has any helpful information with me, please feel free to inform me, and I am extremely grateful, because I am absolutely confused with what's going on. :confused:

thebestjoe 12-04-2012 03:56 PM

Make sure that there are solid connections with everything in the wiring. When I got my Blackouts, there was wire that secured to the pickup like the solderless EMG's. Check them too.

Try a new 9 volt battery

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 04:01 PM

Yeah, I've checked all the connections, was the first thing I did and it all looked pretty solid. I did buy it brand new, and they looked to be fine.

I have also tried different batteries.

However, I have not looked directly on the pup itself. They have that solder less connection I've heard so much about? Could be there. I was hoping not to do that since I have to remove the strings, and I just changed them... and yes I completely forgot to take them out when doing so. :shrug:

FatalGear41 12-04-2012 04:07 PM

I can't speak to why your pickups won't "squeal," but I can tell you that I've had problems with a few Schecters that had bad pickup selector switches. The signal would cut out or sound terrible. I changed out the selector switches and never had another problem with the guitars.

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 04:11 PM

I appreciate your guys input.

Maybe the squeal is just me not... I'd like to think not though, I've never had a problem pulling them off... but maybe it's just me not being accustom to active pups, these are the first active pups I've had.

If all else fails, I'll replace the selector switch, and see how that goes. It seems to be a better idea the more I think about it. Now that I think about it, I do think the selector makes some pretty scratchy noises from time to time when switching.

Huge Guy 12-04-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Blizzard
I appreciate your guys input.

Maybe the squeal is just me not... I'd like to think not though, I've never had a problem pulling them off... but maybe it's just me not being accustom to active pups, these are the first active pups I've had.

By squeals you mean pinch harmonics? It's probably the hardware, not your technique.

T00DEEPBLUE 12-04-2012 05:14 PM

You didn't inb4 the model :p:

But if you aren't getting harmonics to come out, it either means that your action is too low, or your technique isn't right.

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 06:14 PM

I'll increase the action as soon as I get home... I like low strings though, which the other guitar has. I've been wondering that about the pinch harmonics... It can't be technique, I'm able to do it every other guitar I've tried it on... ???

Still no clue on the pups though.

beau05 12-04-2012 10:17 PM

I have the Blackjack ATX FR, pinch harmonics are easy enough on the G string, not so much on the low E, A, and D strings. It works okay for me though, overall the tone I can get out of it and the playability is outstanding (inb4 Schecter brown nosing), so the lack of pinch harmonics is an okay sacrifice in my books

As for your pups cutting out, I have no idea what the problem is. The sustain on mine is good as, and can go make a cup of tea and have sandwich, come back and the note is STILL going

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 11:17 PM

I played with the action, and it made quite a difference, so thanks for inspiring me to stop being lazy and unlock the bridge and finally do it. I've been thinking to do that, but just didn't get around to it lol. Sustain is better and the harmonics ring better. I enjoy it a lot more now that I can hold a note and get that sexy feedback on it to ring more.

Still don't know about the pups lol. I'm emailing a Schecter tech about it but I figured UG is probably a better place to ask.

jeleopard 12-04-2012 11:23 PM

OP can't inb4

It's a Schecter ;)

As for the pickups cutting out, could it be a jack problem?

W4RP1G 12-04-2012 11:35 PM

Cutting out is a loose connection.

Poor pinch harmonics are a result of poor technique.

Gary.Blizzard 12-04-2012 11:51 PM

Well. Pig. I've already explained that the harmonics were do to the low action.

And from past experience, I'm pretty educated in what would cause failure of certain electronics.

What it is that causes my confusion is the fact that, aside from switching pups, it also happens when the string is struck lightly. It's as if the amount of vibration is activating the pups lol. I strike it lightly sometimes and it gives a half assed output - like the signal is cut in half. Sometimes it's completely dead. Then I strike HARD and it's back to normal.

jeleopard 12-05-2012 12:23 AM

Could also JUST be a lemon. Try taking it back for a new one? :P

Gary.Blizzard 12-05-2012 12:32 AM

It could be, but if it's a wiring problem, or selector switch it would be a cheap and simple fix... I just don't feel like gutting the thing.

Could also just be bad pups, in which case I would probably want an exchange. Lol

Ibbod0 12-05-2012 12:32 AM

sounds like something isn't connected properly. My first thought is that it's got something to do with the battery or the pickups aren't getting power due to a bad connection somewhere.

Of course, there's no noise gates anywhere in your setup, right..? lol

Gary.Blizzard 12-05-2012 12:38 AM

Nah, I'll plug it straight into the amp, nothing in between. But I'll put it through pedals and it'll do the same thing.

The Schecter tech told me to raise the pickups... Lol

W4RP1G 12-05-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:
Well. Pig. I've already explained that the harmonics were do to the low action.

And from past experience, I'm pretty educated in what would cause failure of certain electronics.

What it is that causes my confusion is the fact that, aside from switching pups, it also happens when the string is struck lightly. It's as if the amount of vibration is activating the pups lol. I strike it lightly sometimes and it gives a half assed output - like the signal is cut in half. Sometimes it's completely dead. Then I strike HARD and it's back to normal.

Low action does not affect pinch harmonics, unless it's so low that the fret buzz is unbearable.

Gary.Blizzard 12-05-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Low action does not affect pinch harmonics, unless it's so low that the fret buzz is unbearable.

I rose the action and instantly started pulling them off. :shrug:

W4RP1G 12-05-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:
I rose the action and instantly started pulling them off. :shrug:

Thus confirming my comment about your technique. I'm glad that you found a way to pull off pinch harmonics, but low action does not prevent pinch harmonics. You can have low action and do them, if that's what you want.