UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Boss GT-100 or Peavey Vypyr tube 60? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576316)

sg-rocker173 12-04-2012 07:01 PM

Boss GT-100 or Peavey Vypyr tube 60?

Title. Which has better sound quality?

GeetarHeero 12-04-2012 07:45 PM

What do you want to use them for? What kind of music do you play? What other gear do you use?

sg-rocker173 12-04-2012 08:05 PM

Right now I have the GT-100 and an Agile les paul copy with Gibson pups. I play all types of music, and the only other thing I have besides the GT-100 and the guitar is a starter ibanez combo amp. I was thinking about selling the GT-100 and buying the Vypyr, but I'm not 100% sure it'd be a good move. I kinda suck at tweaking the GT-100, there's just so many parameters to edit that I can't always get the sound I'm looking for. I mean, it's alright. I mostly use headphones when using the GT-100, and when I'm not I have a pretty crappy pair of computer speakers hooked up to the phones out on the 100. I really don't have anything that can reproduce good sound quality from the GT-100 except the headphones, and I know buying an amplifier that'll be able to go at a decent volume and have the ability to reproduce the sound will be at least like 400 bucks. However, given the fact that the Vypyr is only 450 new, I was wondering if it'd be better to sell the 100 and buy a Vypyr. I guess it'd be a lot easier to tweak than the 100, but I was wondering if it'd really be worth the trouble of posting it on ebay and shipping it then seeking out a store that sells the Vypyr and whatnot. Anybody have any comments?

GeetarHeero 12-04-2012 08:41 PM

Do you play out at all? What kind of music do you play? I can't actually comment on the GT100 as I've never used one. However, I'm trying to be sure you've answered all the questions that will help someone who has used both these pieces of equipment to help you :cheers:

Tremolo Bum 12-05-2012 12:38 AM

If you don't gig regularly I would just keep the GT100.

Offworld92 12-05-2012 01:22 AM

I'd probably go with the Vypyr... I've read that they didn't really do much to the COSM in the 100, which is unfortunate.

Another option if you don't want an actual amp would be to trade it for a Line 6 POD HD500. The amp modeling in the POD HD will likely be a lot better.

DarthV 12-05-2012 10:07 AM

If you don't want to tweak a whole lot, I'd probably look at the vypyr 60 first. You can get some great tones out of the HD500, but it will need more fiddling than with the vypyr. The WYSIWYG design of the vypyr makes it easier to just plug in, change a couple knobs and go. I've tried a couple vypyrs out in a store and it takes a couple minutes to dial in some great tones.