UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Pawnshop Dean Z (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576357)

nightowl2011 12-04-2012 10:54 PM

Pawnshop Dean Z

For a while, I've been searching for a guitar to "fix up" and restore then I found this.

Guitar on the far end is the one I'll be getting. Priced at $212 is that a fair price?

Planning on painting it dark red and upgrading the humbuckers, maybe changing the neck out later on too. This being my first time doing anything to a guitar, I'll be asking tons of more dumb questions. Thanks.

jeleopard 12-04-2012 11:20 PM

Deans are poo poo :(

dannyalcatraz 12-04-2012 11:30 PM

Some Deans are, some are not.

Check to see exactly which Dean it is- if it is one made with a core made of a wood called Paulownia- like the Dean Vendetta XM, it really will not be suitable for modding- that wood is very soft.

nightowl2011 12-05-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Some Deans are, some are not.

Check to see exactly which Dean it is- if it is one made with a core made of a wood called Paulownia- like the Dean Vendetta XM, it really will not be suitable for modding- that wood is very soft.

I'll check on that. Not 100% but I believe it's a Dean z series.

http://www.deanguitars.com/z_series.php

trashedlostfdup 12-05-2012 02:32 AM

you can find something better used whether it be at a pawn shop or at CL.

IMO the dean wouldn't be worth the time.

i am not hating on deans exclusively, i have played a few and they are decent (read as subpar) and every time i have thought of one, i found a better guitar for a better price.

dannyalcatraz 12-05-2012 02:49 AM

And speaking as a satisfied Dean owner, I wouldn't buy a used Dean that didn't have a $500+ price tag when it was new.

nightowl2011 12-05-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
you can find something better used whether it be at a pawn shop or at CL.

IMO the dean wouldn't be worth the time.

i am not hating on deans exclusively, i have played a few and they are decent (read as subpar) and every time i have thought of one, i found a better guitar for a better price.

I'd rather have a Epiphone Explorer for sure, but they are hard to come by. Is it getting a low score here because dean uses cheap material such as humbucklers or is it something else?

H4T3BR33D3R 12-05-2012 08:51 AM

Generally it's because they are made cheaply and for the same prices you could probably find a better guitar.

FWIW That guitar is a Dean ZX and it goes for around that price new. I wouldn't bother. You can get a much nicer '79 series Z for a bit more money.

T00DEEPBLUE 12-05-2012 08:54 AM

Don't bother.

Lavatain 12-05-2012 09:14 AM

Those guitars need some TLC. At least 2 of those guitars have warped necks and need some cleaning and new strings.

nightowl2011 12-05-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Generally it's because they are made cheaply and for the same prices you could probably find a better guitar.

FWIW That guitar is a Dean ZX and it goes for around that price new. I wouldn't bother. You can get a much nicer '79 series Z for a bit more money.

Yeah, I thought the price was kind of high even though it's in good condition other than a small scratch on the back. Maybe I can haggle the price down a bit. I'm gonna look around town to see If I see anything better before deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Those guitars need some TLC. At least 2 of those guitars have warped necks and need some cleaning and new strings.

I was gonna switch the necks out with a warmoth anyways.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Robbgnarly 12-05-2012 10:36 AM

Unless you can get it for $150 or less I'd pass, that is almost new pricing.