UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo vs Head (with 1x12) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576366)

gutoalvim 12-04-2012 11:29 PM

Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo vs Head (with 1x12)

Hello im going to buy a mesa boogie mark v in the USA and i live in Brasil. I love that John Petrucci tone and i want something that sounds similar to his sound. As im going to buy it in other country i need to transport it to my place, and the combo is easier to do it. Considering the price differences between both of them. Which one do u guys think its best.
Im going to use it mainly to play in my bedroom and record with my Prog Metal band.
Are there many differences between this two versions? And will i be able to reproduce the JP style tone with the combo?
Thanks and ROCK ON!!!

R45VT 12-04-2012 11:33 PM

Didn't you have a another thread on that?

Blktiger0 12-05-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Didn't you have a another thread on that?

I'm positive he did.

EDIT:

This is it right here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573980

R45VT 12-05-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks^

Summary- head with 2x12 closed back can with V30's.

gutoalvim 12-06-2012 01:25 AM

I wanted to know the differences between the combo and the head, the other was the 2X12 and 1X12

Cathbard 12-06-2012 01:42 AM

The biggest difference is that you can use low noise JJ ECC803 tubes in a head but they are too microphonic for a combo. If you use a lot of gain that is a massive advantage.

gumbilicious 12-06-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The biggest difference is that you can use low noise JJ ECC803 tubes in a head but they are too microphonic for a combo. If you use a lot of gain that is a massive advantage.

:poke: well, he can also used a closed back cab with the head too. that makes a bit of difference.

Cathbard 12-06-2012 01:59 AM

Yeah, heads are better for quite a few reasons really.

AcousticMirror 12-06-2012 02:23 AM

from wikipedia :

Electricity
Brazil is one of a few countries that uses both 120 and 240 volts for everyday appliances. Expect the voltage to change back and forth as you travel from one place to the next -- even within the same Brazilian state, sometimes even within the same building. There is no physical difference in the electric outlets (power mains) for the two voltages.

Electric outlets usually accept both flat (North American), and round (European) plugs. Otherwise adaptors from flat blades to round pins are easy to find in any supermarket or hardware shop. Some outlets are too narrow for the German "Schuko" plugs. The best makeshift solution is to buy a cheap T-connection and just force your "Schuko" in, -the T will break, but it will work. Very few outlets have a grounding point, and some might not accept newer North American polarized plugs, where one pin is slightly larger. Again, use the cheap T. Near the border with Argentina, you might occasionally find outlets for the Australia/New Zealand-type plug. If crossing the border, you'll probably need this adapter as well.

In 2009/2010, a the IEC 60906-1 was introduced to Brazil and some newer buildings already have it. It is backwards compatible with the Europlug, but it has a receded socket. Again, T-plugs can be used as adapters for other common formats.

--

is that really how power works in brasil.

I wouldn't plug in any tube amp there.

Cathbard 12-06-2012 02:34 AM

Holy crap, Min. You'd have to carry a multimeter with you everywhere you went to test what is coming out of the wall. That's messed up.

gutoalvim 12-08-2012 08:47 AM

Man in Brazil most places you go the plugs are 120v. Places that have 240v are usually far away from town and if they are on town they have a 240v written on top. So dont trust the answer from wikipedia only.

R45VT 12-08-2012 11:39 AM

The head and separate speaker cab would be easier to transport.

Ideally you would want a closed backed cab. Mesa has the wide body ported 1x12 which is still better then the open backed for what you are after.

Make sure to do a NAD.