UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Which cab? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576370)

Noreee 12-05-2012 12:10 AM

Which cab?

Hey dudes. I'm stuck on the decision of ordering one of these two cabs

1- Avatar custom 212 cab with one eminence swamp thang and one eminence v12 legend speaker.

2- Orange Jim root signature cabinet.

I currently play out of a blackstar ht-100 and would really like to know what anyone thinks of these two cabs or speakers, which you think will have more balls (I play metal) and what you guys think would be better about one cab over the other pls. Tysm

Dave_Mc 12-05-2012 10:21 AM

any particular reason you've decided on that eminence pairing?

Robbgnarly 12-05-2012 10:34 AM

I'd get an Avatar with a V30 and 12T75 combo or V30 and K100 combo if hard rock and metal is your thing.

Noreee 12-05-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
any particular reason you've decided on that eminence pairing?

Because they both have balls :)
I play a lot of different kinds of music but my main focus is my new post-hardcore/metal band. I would love a tone with balls and i felt like every time i've seen those speakers separately they were really able to deliver it.

Robbgnarly 12-05-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreee
I play a lot of different kinds of music but my main focus is my new post-hardcore/metal band. I would love a tone with balls and i felt like every time i've seen those speakers separately they were really able to deliver it.

I have heard good things about the Texas Heat paired with the swamp thang.

And V12s are great speakers I have a 4x12 with them and it does sound quite huge :D

Dave_Mc 12-05-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreee

do you know they'll work together, though? they may well do (i have v12s and a ST but not in the same impedance so I can't try them), but they also might not. :shrug:

Blktiger0 12-05-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
do you know they'll work together, though? they may well do (i have v12s and a ST but not in the same impedance so I can't try them), but they also might not. :shrug:

If you had two of each and two 2x12's, couldn't you wire them each to be the same impeadance and then just use two cabs with the same head? They wouldn't be an X pattern, but it would be better than nothing.

crabstampede 12-06-2012 02:41 AM

texas heats. dark and punishing. just how my woman likes it!

Dave_Mc 12-06-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
If you had two of each and two 2x12's, couldn't you wire them each to be the same impeadance and then just use two cabs with the same head? They wouldn't be an X pattern, but it would be better than nothing.

i don't think so. my v12s are 8 ohm and my swamp thang is 16. There's no easy way to wire them to be the same. you could always run a slight mismatch, but that affects how much power is going to each speaker (i.e. you couldn't really trust the results to accurately show how they'd combine if they were both at the same impedance).

SimplyBen 12-06-2012 08:48 AM

I have to ask why the Jim Root when a plain ol' PPC212 is cheaper?

Noreee 12-07-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
I have to ask why the Jim Root when a plain ol' PPC212 is cheaper?

Because i checked out a video of the whole "Jim root signature orange head and cab" And honestly for a small 7w amp and cab combo, they sound good together imo, i just never saw that cab used with anything else and i wanted to know if anyone had any idea if it was good paired with any other heads.