UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Recording Question. Would This Still Work? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576415)

Caaarrl94 12-05-2012 08:11 AM

Recording Question. Would This Still Work?

i have a Boss RC-20, and it's great, but recently got a Zoom G3 for my effects, which can also be used as an audio interface for recording.

My setup is..

Guitar ---> Zoom G3 (to computer) ---> BOSS RC-20 ---> Amp

I wan't to use the RC-20 for looping since the Zoom G3 only has a 20 second limit, but i Use the G3 as an audio interface.

If the RC-20 is after the Zoom G3 in the signal chain, does that mean I can't record any loops I make?

losing battle 12-05-2012 08:34 AM

Why arent you going from boss to zoom? I wouldn't know enough about the zoom g3 to know if it could run 2 outs on to amp and one to computer.

Caaarrl94 12-05-2012 09:00 AM

I assumed the looper would have to be last in the effects chain so that the looped sound was processed, instead of just dry?
If I put the Zoom G3 after the RC-20 would that not process the entire loop?

Also, I Just use the stereo outputs, i run the left (or mono) output to the computer and the right to the amp.

zl1288 12-05-2012 09:11 AM

So you're not using the G3's USB to go into the computer? Do you have an interface, or are you just using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and pluging right into the sound card? With your current setup, nothing after the G3 in your signal chain will be recorded.

I agree that the looper after the G3 would be ideal, so maybe try running the speaker emulated out on your amp to your computer instead of the G3.

Edit: Don't know if the amp you have has an emulated out. You could also try running this setup: G3>looper>PC

Caaarrl94 12-05-2012 09:16 AM

No it did not come with a USB lead.
And, yes, i'm just using an adapter. plugged straight into the mic input on the computer

Lavatain 12-05-2012 10:54 AM

If recording into a computer. Just record a part, make a new track and play over the last one. It's the slow process to what a looper does really. A looper pedal just makes this really really easy. But it can't not be created in whatever software you are using on your computer. As for how you connect the Zoom to your computer, I strongly recommend you get the USB cable, as it will be much better sound, with much less latency. Using an adapter to your computer's mic input brings all sorts of latency issues that you wouldn't get for buying a USB cable, which will be rather inexpensive.

RadioMuse 12-05-2012 12:11 PM

Since you're using an adapter anyway I'm not sure why you're not talking the signal to the computer after the RC-20... I can certainly see where changing the order would be problematic, so I'm not one to suggest that, but yeah... or you could just mic up the amp and record that way?

Like if this isn't for live manipulation of the guitar on your computer I don't understand why you're not capturing the sound of the amplifier? You know... conventional recording methods? 0.o The standards are standard for good reason. It's not so hard to go pick up an SM-57...

fly135 12-05-2012 12:21 PM

The I read it is that you are NOT using the G3 as a recording interface, as that would be the USB. The recording interface is the computer sound card. You must use the output of the RC-20 as the feed to the computer and the amp (assuming you want to hear the loop).