UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The term "Djent"... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576540)

Ian_the_fox 12-05-2012 08:48 PM

The term "Djent"...
 
...is now the new "Screamo." Seriously, look at how it's being used.


Have you ever had to deal with idiots who address anything, and I mean ANYTHING with harsh vocals, whether it be Melodeth, Progressive-death, Thrash, Metalcore, etc., as the idiotic labeling of "Screamo"?

Now I understand "Screamo" actually is an actual genre, but it's really annoying that the term has been used for idiots to describe harshly-sung music. Like some dumb bitch I dealt with a few weeks ago who heard Opeth and said "OMG THIS IS SOOO SCREAMO LOLOLL!!".


Now "Djent" is being used in a similar way. Except it's used by idiot kids to describe ANY metal with heavy distorted guitars and obscure time signatures, particularly prog metal.

The first occurrence is when I showed some guy Sybreed, and he was like "Ugh, I can't stand Djent-crap." Now this one is somewhat understandable as they have a few (i.e. hardly any) similarities despite coming several years before the whole Djent scene, but it gets worse:


An idiot guy I showed Gojira to referred to it as "Djent," another referred to Outworld as "Djent", and most recently one calling A7X "Djent". I mean, come on.


Would you also agree that the term "Djent" has become as misused and abused as "Screamo" is? If you are one of "those people", please punch yourself in your dick. Now.


(Poll incoming)

whywefight 12-05-2012 08:49 PM

I think djent falls neatly under the umbrella term 'screamo'

Burgery 12-05-2012 08:50 PM

no, i haven't heard people misuse it

Avedas 12-05-2012 08:50 PM



I bet TS goes out of his way to differentiate metal sub-subgenres.

Obsceneairwaves 12-05-2012 08:51 PM

I don't actually know what it is :shrug: and the way you're talking about it makes me think you hate shit just for the sake of hating it.

ironman1478 12-05-2012 08:51 PM

crazysam incoming in 3...2....1.....

K'Nuckles 12-05-2012 08:52 PM

Love me some djent.

Trowzaa 12-05-2012 08:53 PM

Bieber's pretty djent.

behind_you 12-05-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
I bet TS goes out of his way to differentiate metal sub-subgenres.
These are the worst kind of people.

yoman297 12-05-2012 08:54 PM

no djent is the sound effect that a palm mute in a low tuning makes

whywefight 12-05-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Bieber's pretty djent.

nahbrah, he's screamo

Godsmack_IV 12-05-2012 08:54 PM

All this time I thought djent was Swedish or something for gentleman.

Trowzaa 12-05-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
nahbrah, he's screamo


djent is screamo. didn't you get the memo? :o

T00DEEPBLUE 12-05-2012 08:55 PM

The difference is that djent is somehow more listenable.

BledGhostWhite 12-05-2012 08:56 PM

Doesn't really matter to me. Those morons are usually people who just kinda jump on bandwagons, and don't decide what to listen to for themselves. People who are genuinely passionate about the music they listen to are the ones who spend money on supporting the band, and those are the only opinions I even consider valuable. When someone says something like that, it's because they have no ****ing clue what they're talking about.

Except one time I heard a guy call Cannibal Corpse screamo. That pissed me off immensely.

Joshua Garcia 12-05-2012 08:56 PM

In all honesty, I thought djent had something to do with some crazy DJ's at a night club for about a good 3 months. That's how little I care. Music is music.

MH400 12-05-2012 08:58 PM

People use the wrong labels with music all the time. :shrug:

Djent is great.

Ian_the_fox 12-05-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoman297
no djent is the sound effect that a palm mute in a low tuning makes
That's how the term originated but it's become a classification for a genre. Essentially the genre is progressive metal minus the progressive, played on 7 or 8 string guitars strung with only 2 strings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsceneairwaves
I don't actually know what it is :shrug: and the way you're talking about it makes me think you hate shit just for the sake of hating it.


...



T00DEEPBLUE 12-05-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BledGhostWhite
Doesn't really matter to me. Those morons are usually people who just kinda jump on bandwagons, and don't decide what to listen to for themselves. People who are genuinely passionate about the music they listen to are the ones who spend money on supporting the band, and those are the only opinions I even consider valuable. When someone says something like that, it's because they have no ****ing clue what they're talking about.

Except one time I heard a guy call Cannibal Corpse screamo. That pissed me off immensely.

Jesus gets a lot of money too. His fans know their shit. :rolleyes:

Avedas 12-05-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
The difference is that djent is somehow more listenable.


Djent is quite enjoyable and plenty of fun.

Same with club music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
That's how the term originated but it's become a classification for a genre. Essentially the genre is progressive metal minus the progressive, played on 7 or 8 string guitars strung with only 2 strings.

Called it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.