UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What does Dave do in the beginning of this riff?! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576564)

nickenator8 12-06-2012 12:40 AM

What does Dave do in the beginning of this riff?!

In that live performance, what does Dave do to make his guitar make that terrible sound? I'm covering the song, and I really want to have that in the beginning.

Junior#1 12-06-2012 01:37 AM

It's just feedback. Lots of gain, lots of volume.

Bad Kharmel 12-06-2012 03:00 AM

wow James' vocals are aweful

Aralingh 12-06-2012 04:14 AM

Talks about republicans as usual.

nickenator8 12-08-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
wow James' vocals are aweful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
Talks about republicans as usual.

Very helpful answers, thanks.

yoyoloto 12-08-2012 02:37 AM

shabadabada

KailM 12-08-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
It's just feedback. Lots of gain, lots of volume.

+ through a tube amp. I've always gotten much sweeter, singing feedback through tube amps.

Poor James -- they should have all tuned down at least a half step and I think he would have nailed the vocals... :haha:

t1mman 12-10-2012 04:15 PM

I'm pretty sure anyone here will be able to sing as high as when the where 20 when they hit 49-50 years old...

And don't get me wrong, I'm always sorta deceived when I hear James sings an older songs where the vocals are "arsher" and just "sing" trough it, but considering he's been doing this for more than 30 years, it's still prett decent!

KailM 12-11-2012 09:00 AM

^^At most live shows, including the time I saw them when Death Magnetic came out, they tuned down enough so that he had no trouble with any of the vocals. He sounded amazing at the show I saw, just 1/2-1 whole step lower than on the albums. They played almost the entire Ride the Lightening album at that show...

He's still one of my favorite vocalists, he just can't sing as high as he used to. That is all...

MaaZeus 12-12-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman
I'm pretty sure anyone here will be able to sing as high as when the where 20 when they hit 49-50 years old...

And don't get me wrong, I'm always sorta deceived when I hear James sings an older songs where the vocals are "arsher" and just "sing" trough it, but considering he's been doing this for more than 30 years, it's still prett decent!

I'm bit dissapointed that he doesnt bark/break his voice during the old songs anymore. IE in this song the "metal milita" shout. Age is irrelevant. Well I guess he wants to protect his singing voice. :shrug:

Anyway, its obviously just feedback. The bigger question is what was Kirk doing there on stage in the first place. Two rhythm guitarists? :D

Niilmcms 12-12-2012 01:27 PM

The Niilm CMS environment serves to bring these diverse individuals together and encourages them to explore, discover, experiment and foster personal and professional competencies in order to grow into holistic human beings who will, one day, make a difference to the community around.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 12-12-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilmcms
The Niilm CMS environment serves to bring these diverse individuals together and encourages them to explore, discover, experiment and foster personal and professional competencies in order to grow into holistic human beings who will, one day, make a difference to the community around.

*reported*

spats71 12-13-2012 04:41 AM

Hmmmm!!!
I'm not a metallica hater, but this pretty awful! Why sing a song if you cannot do it justice anymore (scuse pun)? Tone down or don't play it! Age has little to do with vocal range, more to do with stamina.