UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Fish'N'Chips worth it? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576748)

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 02:34 AM

Fish'N'Chips worth it?

So I was rummaging through some storage bins around my house and found a Danelectro Fish'N'Chips just hanging out. Is this thing a legit EQ to use? It has plastic inputs and not true bypass so that concerns me. Or would I be better off just getting a Boss EQ?

ihartfood 12-07-2012 02:36 AM

I hear they're not that bad, and you can mod them to true bypass can't you? don't step on it too hard though

chatterbox272 12-07-2012 02:49 AM

you should be able to mod just about anything to true bypass, and jacks are easily replaced. I don't know anything about the quality of the pedal but if you're worried about sturdiness then rehousing it in something a bit more solid should be an easy job.

Offworld92 12-07-2012 02:54 AM

It should be good if you leave it on all the time.

Not a pedal I'd take out of the house, but since you already have it... :shrug:

whoomit 12-07-2012 04:27 AM

Well now I'm hungry...

tas38 12-07-2012 04:45 AM

Why not try it and see..?

supersac 12-07-2012 05:04 AM

fish and chips are always worth it

Tunder250 12-07-2012 05:58 AM

it's a nice pedal. i have it, but it's not that good compared to a MRX or something like that.. IMO

Don't get me wrong, they're nice pedals! It sure is for the money!

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunder250
it's a nice pedal. i have it, but it's not that good compared to a MRX or something like that.. IMO

Don't get me wrong, they're nice pedals! It sure is for the money!

When I get all of my other pedals I think I'll test it out. Does anyone know a place where I can find the input jack mod? I did a bit of googling last night and came up empty handed.

Roc8995 12-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
Why not try it and see..?

Seriously. It's sitting right there, plug it in and figure it out.

Troubling trend of "people of the internet, tell me what my opinion should be" going on lately.

The input jack thing isn't really a named mod, you just take the input jacks out and replace them with new ones. Not much to it, three solder joints on the input and two on the output. If they're PCB mount you might need to get a bit more creative.

Tempoe 12-07-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Troubling trend of "people of the internet, tell me what my opinion should be" going on lately..

... I've noticed this too

DeathByDestroyr 12-07-2012 03:15 PM

It's a bit noisy, but does what it does...

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:
Troubling trend of "people of the internet, tell me what my opinion should be" going on lately.

Most of it has been me since I've started posting in GG&A lately concerning what gear I should get because I have a problem with liking something in the store and bringing it home and hating it. Like I'll like a pair of jeans in the store and then bring them home and never wear them because I don't like how they look the second I get home. Same thing with when I was testing out cymbals with my drum set. So I use UG to kind of validate the stuff I've picked out.

Quote:
The input jack thing isn't really a named mod, you just take the input jacks out and replace them with new ones. Not much to it, three solder joints on the input and two on the output. If they're PCB mount you might need to get a bit more creative.

That's kind of what I figured. Would making it true bypass be as easy? I'm completely new to modding and if these would be a good way to get my feet wet then I'd be all for it. Plus if I screw up I only dropped $20.

Roc8995 12-07-2012 03:52 PM

No, definitely not as easy. I think the easiest solution there is to just make a bypass box. It's a switch and four jacks. Sort of a mini effects loop. Anything you put in the loop gets bypassed when you hit the switch. So you can just put any of your non TBP pedals in the loop and make them true bypass that way without molesting them. In the case of the Fish and Chips it probably wouldn't survive the conversion, so that's the way to go.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:
No, definitely not as easy. I think the easiest solution there is to just make a bypass box. It's a switch and four jacks. Sort of a mini effects loop. Anything you put in the loop gets bypassed when you hit the switch. So you can just put any of your non TBP pedals in the loop and make them true bypass that way without molesting them. In the case of the Fish and Chips it probably wouldn't survive the conversion, so that's the way to go.

I think I might just try that.