UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Marshall Cabinet. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576768)

emilxert 12-07-2012 07:04 AM

Marshall Cabinet.
 
Hey. I'm totally new to guitar amplification tools. What I've used so far were headphones or pc speakers and Amplitube for an iPad. I'm not eager to get the best sound possible, but I'd like someone to give their opinion on two things:
1. http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/prod...mg1 00hcfx.asp

This Marshall cabinet.

2. Would 120 Watts be too much for just a regular apartment room?

I'm not looking for an amplifier, as I'd just like to stay with digital software.
In case this cabinet is crap or 120 Watts aren't appropriate for such small space, I'm all ears if you have other cabinet alternatives to recommend.

Thanks.

Telecaster7 12-07-2012 07:09 AM

The MG series is usually seen to be crap, but I haven't tried the cabs so no comment. Also someone more wise might correct me but the volume of the cab will depend more on the signal going into it, not its individual wattage.

MaggaraMarine 12-07-2012 07:54 AM

I have heard that Marshall MG cabs have bad speakers so I would look at some other cabs. Of course if you can try it and like it then buy it. But I would try to look at something with Celestions or some other well known speakers inside. Or then just ask somebody that knows a lot about different speakers.

The wattage of the cab is just about power handling. That means if you have a head with more than 120 watts, it would be risky to play through the cab. The cab isn't loud, your amp is (the cab is passive, not active so it requires no power). So the volume has a lot more to do with your amp than your cab. The cab can have different kind of speakers and some speakers are louder than others. But again, it's more about the amp you have. And you can always turn your amp down. 5 watt amp might not sound any better at low volumes than a 100 watt amp.

emilxert 12-07-2012 08:00 AM

I'm also looking for other options below 500$. Any other Marshall cabinet recommendations?

MaggaraMarine 12-07-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilxert
I'm also looking for other options below 500$. Any other Marshall cabinet recommendations?

If you want Marshall, I think you could get a 1936 for that price. It's a 2x12 cabinet. But do you need a Marshall? I know it's cool to have something that says Marshall on it but I think you could do better with the money. You'll aways need to pay for the name a bit.

If you need a Marshall, look for used cabs. Marshall cabs need to look used, I think that's when they look the coolest.

Another option is to buy that MG cabinet and do a speaker upgrade. Though then you need to buy four speakers and it might be more expensive than buying a 1960 cabinet that is The Marshall Cabinet.

Look used and also look at other manufacturers than Marshall. Look at speaker comparison demos on Youtube and look at cabs that have the speakers you like.



This video shows some differences between different speakers.

Cathbard 12-07-2012 09:58 AM

A used 1960 is better than a new MG.

Does it have to be Marshall?

zl1288 12-07-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilxert
Hey. I'm totally new to guitar amplification tools. What I've used so far were headphones or pc speakers and Amplitube for an iPad. I'm not eager to get the best sound possible, but I'd like someone to give their opinion on two things:
1. http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/prod...mg1 00hcfx.asp

This Marshall cabinet.

2. Would 120 Watts be too much for just a regular apartment room?

I'm not looking for an amplifier, as I'd just like to stay with digital software.In case this cabinet is crap or 120 Watts aren't appropriate for such small space, I'm all ears if you have other cabinet alternatives to recommend.

Thanks.


You can't use a cab without some kind of power amp. If you are playing with a digital setup, just buy a nice pair of monitors/headphones and call it a day.

Roc8995 12-07-2012 11:40 AM

Yeah, a cab is totally worthless in this situation. Your iPad or computer can't drive a guitar cab.

You can spend a lot less than $500 and get a really nice set of powered studio monitors, which will sound better with your emulation software anyway.

Cathbard 12-07-2012 11:47 AM

Oh what? No amp? Yeah, you need some powered monitors, not a 4x12.

gregs1020 12-07-2012 12:08 PM

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/prod...nitors_pair.asp

Wesbanez 12-07-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
You can't use a cab without some kind of power amp. If you are playing with a digital setup, just buy a nice pair of monitors/headphones and call it a day.


Got half way down the page and was shocked nobody had noticed this... getting sloppy fellas :cool:

To the OP, as others have suggested, a traditional guitar cabinet such as the one you linked to is useless without a proper guitar amp.

The only powered monitors I have experience with are a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AVs. They are 30 watts RMS and are perfecty fine for bedroom rocking. They get loud, they are strong and clear in sound and under 100.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_av4...XHL tAodbywAtA

However, with your (assumed) budget) you could probably look at higher grade options. Good luck :)

emilxert 12-07-2012 02:27 PM

Ok, I've just decided to get a cheaper and smaller combo amplifier, guys)

Another and last question is: if I connect my guitar through Amplitube iRig to an iPad and some really huge speakers with big wattage through 3.5 mm jack, wouldn't it blow up the device?

emilxert 12-07-2012 02:38 PM

Oh, forgot to mention that I was considering to use this cabinet in some bigger space later. Why Marshall? well, as a newbie in using amplification tools, I can't quite see the difference between products. That's why I trust those manufacturers, whose products are widely respected. Oh, regarding this "Your iPad or computer can't drive a guitar cab", this is how I thought I would make it all work: .

Thanks for all replies, topic is closed.

gregs1020 12-07-2012 02:43 PM

i think it's still open.

no offense but you don't run the internet. :haha

Roc8995 12-07-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilxert
Ok, I've just decided to get a cheaper and smaller combo amplifier, guys)

Another and last question is: if I connect my guitar through Amplitube iRig to an iPad and some really huge speakers with big wattage through 3.5 mm jack, wouldn't it blow up the device?

A combo is a good choice.
No, you can't blow up your iPad like that. The power only goes one way. Powered speakers just take the input signal and amplify it before it hits the speaker. It doesn't matter what you plug into it, and you're not making the iPod power the speakers on its own so it's not working any harder than it would with headphones or a smaller speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilxert
Oh, forgot to mention that I was considering to use this cabinet in some bigger space later. Why Marshall? well, as a newbie in using amplification tools, I can't quite see the difference between products. That's why I trust those manufacturers, whose products are widely respected. Oh, regarding this "Your iPad or computer can't drive a guitar cab", this is how I thought I would make it all work: (snip).

Thanks for all replies, topic is closed.

Cheap Marshalls aren't widely respected. Marshall plays off name recognition like in your case to sell mediocre gear to people who don't bother to do more research.

And that's not a cab, that's a combo. Preamp, power amp, cab, all in one. Huge difference between that and a cab.

If you'll forgive the analogy:
A preamp is a truck driver.
A power amp is the semi truck.
A cab is the trailer.

If you just have a driver and a trailer you're not going anywhere. The driver tells the truck what to do and the trailer follows.

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilxert
Why Marshall? well, as a newbie in using amplification tools, I can't quite see the difference between products. That's why I trust those manufacturers, whose products are widely respected.


there's your problem. marketing people know people trust the big brands, so they massively rip them off with cheap tat. that's not to say all marshall products are bad. but the MGs are.

Blktiger0 12-07-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
A combo is a good choice.
No, you can't blow up your iPad like that. The power only goes one way. Powered speakers just take the input signal and amplify it before it hits the speaker. It doesn't matter what you plug into it, and you're not making the iPod power the speakers on its own so it's not working any harder than it would with headphones or a smaller speaker.


Cheap Marshalls aren't widely respected. Marshall plays off name recognition like in your case to sell mediocre gear to people who don't bother to do more research.

And that's not a cab, that's a combo. Preamp, power amp, cab, all in one. Huge difference between that and a cab.

If you'll forgive the analogy:
A preamp is a truck driver.
A power amp is the semi truck.
A cab is the trailer.

If you just have a driver and a trailer you're not going anywhere. The driver tells the truck what to do and the trailer follows.


I'm not trying to pick apart your analogy, just clear this up in case of confusion:

In the semi instance, you can have just a drriver and truck and be fine, but with an amp, you have to have the trailer also or it won't do you any good.

Listen to what he's saying about Marhsall, though. They aren't the only company that does this, so we aren't picking on just them. The MG series is seriously aweful. It's the second most terrible amp I've ever played (I owned one a while back) the only thing worse is the Line 6 Spider amps.

If you want some good information and some good options for your situation, give us the information listed here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

If you give us that info, we can help you be on your way to having good tone and making an investment you won't regret later on.

Roc8995 12-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I'm not trying to pick apart your analogy, just clear this up in case of confusion:

In the semi instance, you can have just a drriver and truck and be fine, but with an amp, you have to have the trailer also or it won't do you any good.

Good point.
Weirdly enough, I guess you could just reverse it. You can have just a power amp and cab if you really want to, though it's usually inefficient, but you half to have a power amp and a speaker. Although you can just use headphones and a preamp. And now Google is making those cars that drive themselves so I don't know what to believe any more.

Blktiger0 12-07-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Good point.
Weirdly enough, I guess you could just reverse it. You can have just a power amp and cab if you really want to, though it's usually inefficient, but you half to have a power amp and a speaker. Although you can just use headphones and a preamp. And now Google is making those cars that drive themselves so I don't know what to believe any more.


I just say we keep it simple and do away with heads and cabs and power amps and preamps. Only combos from now on. :haha:

I mean, those have a pre and power amp in them, but there's less confusion

gregs1020 12-07-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I just say we keep it simple and do away with heads and cabs and power amps and preamps. Only combos from now on. :haha:

I mean, those have a pre and power amp in them, but there's less confusion



so that. ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.