UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ear-ache? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576818)

jonthorsigmunds 12-07-2012 03:10 PM

Ear-ache?

Hey UG

So I have a problem... I have this awesome Peavey Bravo amp and I love to crank it!
After playing it for 30-60 minutes I turn it off and if I have had the volume a bit above bedroom level it leaves me with this mad ear-ache, or atleast I think so. My ears and head hurts... I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem with an old peavey amp and I'm wondering if this is normal?
I'm not talking about cranking the amp to death so the whole neighbourhood hears my (which I tend to do sometimes and then the pain is understandable). But when I'm not playing it all that loud it still happends.

Thoughts?

Roc8995 12-07-2012 03:23 PM

This isn't normal at all. It might be ear fatigue - sometimes amps with a lot of treble, especially SS ones, can give you a bit of a migraine if you're sitting right in the firing line for too long.

Although, are you 'cranking' it or is it at bedroom level? Those things are usually a long way apart. Do you have a smart phone? Try one of the dB meter apps for it. They're not terribly accurate but you might be surprised at how loud your amp really is.

As always, if you suspect this is a medical issue you need to talk to a doctor. Keep your ears safe!

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 03:32 PM

+1

jonthorsigmunds 12-07-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
This isn't normal at all. It might be ear fatigue - sometimes amps with a lot of treble, especially SS ones, can give you a bit of a migraine if you're sitting right in the firing line for too long.

Although, are you 'cranking' it or is it at bedroom level? Those things are usually a long way apart. Do you have a smart phone? Try one of the dB meter apps for it. They're not terribly accurate but you might be surprised at how loud your amp really is.

As always, if you suspect this is a medical issue you need to talk to a doctor. Keep your ears safe!

This is a tube amp :O, it might be cuz i'm sitting basicly in front of it (or with it by my side) but let's say I am playing loud but I'm not cranking it... I usually don't notice this at bedroom level but when I raise it a bit I do. when I really crank it I usually use ear-plugs so I don't kill my hearing.

Edit: I'll definitely try those db apps, will post back here how loud I am playing

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 03:37 PM

bear in mind everyone's ears are different, too. I stand outside my room generally if i'm playing for any length of time, and i have the master on 1, i'm playing at maybe mid 80s- mid 90s dB. yet if you read the charts those volume levels aren't meant to do you any harm unless you're playing for an extended period of time.

jonthorsigmunds 12-07-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
bear in mind everyone's ears are different, too. I stand outside my room generally if i'm playing for any length of time, and i have the master on 1, i'm playing at maybe mid 80s- mid 90s dB. yet if you read the charts those volume levels aren't meant to do you any harm unless you're playing for an extended period of time.

If the dB meter i downloaded is any good I was playing at around 90-95 dB. I had the amp set the exact same way as I did before which gave me a ear/headache

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 03:45 PM

that's easily loud enough to start annoying you if you have sensitive ears. especially if you're close to the thing and/or in a small enclosed space.

jonthorsigmunds 12-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
that's easily loud enough to start annoying you if you have sensitive ears. especially if you're close to the thing and/or in a small enclosed space.

Okay then I guess I'll turn it down a notch or use earplugs at these volumes. When I use earplugs I can't feel a thing, much more comfortable anyway

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 04:54 PM

yeah i mean if in doubt err on the side of caution, kind of thing. :)

GeetarHeero 12-07-2012 06:01 PM

Exactly. Do you use musician's earplugs?

Ben S77 12-07-2012 06:01 PM

Yeah, you should use ear plugs, or turn it down! Sounds of around 85dB or higher can cause hearing damage if you're listening/playing for extended periods of time.

jonthorsigmunds 12-07-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarHeero
Exactly. Do you use musician's earplugs?

I don't have musicians earplugs yet, no. But I know I really should buy a pair

ragingkitty 12-07-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995

Do you get any ringing in your ears? If you do, you're playing it too loud, that ringing is basically indication of hearing loss. Once you start getting it, you'll experience it your whole life at intermittent points.

Trust me, its no fun.

One of the side effects of this is that certain frequencies of sound, which previously was just plain annoying, will now cause you distress.

GeetarHeero 12-07-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthorsigmunds
I don't have musicians earplugs yet, no. But I know I really should buy a pair

Definitely. Will protect those ears and allow you to hear what you're playing better than regular ear plugs. Best $25 or so I've ever spent on my ears, Q tips notwithstanding :haha:

Van Noord 12-08-2012 04:02 PM

I get that too now and then. Sometimes I find myself clenching my jaw when playing really loud volumes. I wear earplugs more now though so that help eliminate the strain.

AtaBorMan 12-08-2012 04:42 PM

inb4 Cathbard

Blktiger0 12-08-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaBorMan
inb4 Cathbard

I doubt he HEARS about it :p:

Dave_Mc 12-08-2012 06:20 PM

:haha

jukejointjohnny 12-08-2012 08:52 PM

Take it from someone with personal experience, if it's hurting get some earplugs in/turn it down. Tinnitus is really not worth it, I find myself turning amp volumes and specifically the treble dial higher and higher these days just to hear myself when playing live. You know you've got hearing loss when the rest of the band is wincing and you're stood comfortably by the speaker, no earplugs in lol.

ihartfood 12-08-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I doubt he HEARS about it :p:

hahaha :haha: