UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   When is it a time for a guitar upgrade? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576834)

johnyere 12-07-2012 04:57 PM

When is it a time for a guitar upgrade?
 
I've been playing guitar for 2 years now, and have been very serious about it for the past year. I've been playing on an Epiphone G400 SG during these 2 years and am now wondering if it's time to purchase a better guitar.

Im currently taking lessons from a great teacher and plan on continuing these lessons well into the future.

So, do you think i should keep going with what i got, which is a very solid guitar, or upgrade to something like a MIM Strat or Tele or something in that price range (if you would call that an upgrade)?

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section. i wasnt sure where to post it.

MaggaraMarine 12-07-2012 05:17 PM

Maybe Electric Guitar forum...

If you feel like you need a new guitar, then buy a new guitar. But if there's nothing wrong with your guitar and you don't need a new guitar, don't waste your money on something you don't need. Though it's always good to have two guitars for different tunings/sounds or just for backup if you play gigs. Start/Tele will sound different than your SG. They have single coil pickups that aren't really good for anything heavier than hard rock. But of course go and try them and see if they sound/feel good.

You don't need to sell the SG. You can have it as a backup guitar or a guitar for different tunings and sounds or just a different feel.

mattrusso 12-07-2012 05:20 PM

You don't necessarily need a new guitar, but it might be a good choice. It's not like you're required to have a higher quality guitar once you've reacher a higher skill level. You need to ask yourself one question: are you (completely) happy with what you have? If the answer is yes, then there's no need to upgrade. If the answer is no, then figure out what you don't like about it and start thinking about a guitar that won't have the same issues.

FYI, I would consider an MIM Fender an upgrade. They're made much better. When set up right, they can be pretty much on par with MIAs. However, they have a very different sound from your SG, so I'd take that into account.

johnyere 12-07-2012 05:41 PM

hard rock would be the heaviest i would go, so i think a MIM Strat or Tele would be fine tone wise...

however, my question is more along the lines of "when would be a good time to upgrade guitars?", not "which guitar should i get?"

MaggaraMarine 12-07-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyere
hard rock would be the heaviest i would go, so i think a MIM Strat or Tele would be fine tone wise...

however, my question is more along the lines of "when would be a good time to upgrade guitars?", not "which guitar should i get?"

As we have said, it's really up to you. Do you feel like your SG is lacking something? You never need to buy a new guitar if you are completely happy with your SG. And it has nothing to do with your playing skills. Some people never buy a new guitar and some people buy too many guitars. Some people need to upgrade their gear many times a year (that's called GAS, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). Nothing wrong with that, new gear is always cool and I think every guitarist has at least some kind of GAS.

But really, you seem to want to buy a new guitar, otherwise you wouldn't ask. So go ahead and buy it. I bought my second guitar when I had been playing for two years.

HotspurJr 12-07-2012 06:25 PM

I think most people upgrade to newer guitars long before they need them.

Upgrade to a new guitar because you recognize the limitations placed on you by your current gear. If you don't understand what the new gear unlocks for you, don't buy it.

Hail 12-07-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I think most people upgrade to newer guitars long before they need them.

Upgrade to a new guitar because you recognize the limitations placed on you by your current gear. If you don't understand what the new gear unlocks for you, don't buy it.


eh, buying things you don't need will be a good lesson when you've got a little bit more responsible with cash and understand your limitations. at least assuming you still think $500 is a ton for a guitar and all that jazz

HotspurJr 12-07-2012 07:14 PM

The other thing is that it's more important to have a guitar you love than a "good" guitar.

A lot of people recommend against buying multiple mid-level guitars. Get you starter guitar, and if you outgrow it, okay, get something you can gig with. Beyond that, though, save and get a really really good guitar than than working your way through 2-3 midlevel ones.

You end up saving money in the long run. Or, at least, that's the theory.

Spaztikko 12-07-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
They have single coil pickups that aren't really good for anything heavier than hard rock. .


:haha: :haha: :haha:

I found this too funny. Stop talking shit.



TS, buy a new guitar when you have the money. Seriously simple as that. If you don't like or like something else and have the money you should go buy it.

And what I quoted above is a load of horseshit.

MaggaraMarine 12-08-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I found this too funny. Stop talking shit.



TS, buy a new guitar when you have the money. Seriously simple as that. If you don't like or like something else and have the money you should go buy it.

And what I quoted above is a load of horseshit.

Why? Do you see any metal bands using single coils any more? They aren't that high output pickups and the twangy sound doesn't really fit at least heavier metal that well. So I wouldn't really recommend single coils for metal. Humbuckers are better for heavy sounds.

Of course it's up to you if you want to play death metal with single coils and like the sound. But usually people prefer humbuckers for metal and all the metal bands you listen to play with humbuckers.

But TS doesn't play metal so that doesn't matter. I was just saying that because if he was a metalhead like most people in UG are, Strat or Tele wouldn't be an ideal metal guitar.

Spaztikko 12-09-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Why? Do you see any metal bands using single coils any more?

yes. see my list below.
Humbuckers are better for heavy sounds.

not wrong, but not exactly right either. you can't say that a single coiled guitar wont sound metal through a mesa dual rec, or mark V or the like

Strat or Tele wouldn't be an ideal metal guitar.

lol


here's a list.
You are wrong and you know it


As well as you know, me.

Dayn 12-09-2012 06:13 AM

I think if you're going to upgrade, make sure you 'up'grade. Go up a decent bit in quality. Getting something very well made is only going to help your playing. The only reason I'd suggest not getting the best you can, is when you're a beginner, you might not know how to treat it properly. I learned a lot of maintenance on my first budget guitar, and it suffered a bit for it. You don't want to bang up an expensive instrument due to mistakes.

But if you're fine with that, go for it!

MaggaraMarine 12-09-2012 09:38 AM

"not wrong, but not exactly right either. you can't say that a single coiled guitar wont sound metal through a mesa dual rec, or mark V or the like "

But a humbucker equipped guitar will sound more metal through the same amp.

And it's about how we define metal. I mean, when somebody says he plays metal, it really means he plays more extreme metal (at least here in UG). All of the bands you listed (except a few) IMO are more like hard rock. I wouldn't consider for example glam metal as really metal. It's more like hard rock. I mean, the riffs aren't that aggressive and the music is more melodic. My definition of metal is different than yours. You don't need that kind of high gain sound for those bands. And humbuckers are more used in metal. I wouldn't consider myself as a metal guitarist even though I play Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Kiss, Whitesnake... all those 80s bands and I don't really consider any of them metal.

But as I said, this is pretty useless because TS doesn't play metal and it seems like we define metal differently. Usually when people say they play metal, they are going to play Metallica and heavier stuff.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.