UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Phase 90 isn't working the way it probably should (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576851)

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 07:56 PM

Phase 90 isn't working the way it probably should

So I was toying around with my Phase 90 today and noticed that I couldn't get the effect to take until I maxed out the knob. In which case it sounded like it should sound with the knob maxed out. So that means I need a new pot, right?

Carl21221 12-07-2012 08:12 PM

Firstly make sure you put it in the effects loop first. Usually modulation effects are more defined when run after the amps distortion and EQ.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-07-2012 08:17 PM

It would probably help if I had a loop. Unless a Hot Rod DeVille has one that I don't know about. Shit.

Dave_Mc 12-07-2012 08:37 PM

loop shouldn't matter. i run my phase 90 clone (joyo... far as i'm aware, it's a clone, anyway) in front of my amps to do the van halen thing and it still sounds like a phaser.

Charvel1995 12-10-2012 09:22 AM

I don't run mine in the loop either.. Maybe try a different battery in the pedal, a new pot may be in order as well.

Telecaster7 12-10-2012 09:27 AM

I'm pretty sure DeVilles do have an effects loop. Pre-amp out is send and power-amp in is return.

dj1991 12-10-2012 08:48 PM

Still, Phasers are one of those modulation effects that most people seem to agree sounds better before any dirt. Remember that pedal placement is all subjective and is only limited to what sounds good to the player.

Anyway back on topic, check the battery if you're using one. If its a fresh battery or you're using a power supply then I would bet on the pot, which is cheap enough to justify replacing to see if thats the problem. If replacing the pot does not work and its not a vintage unit than any further repairs wouldn't be worth the cost. At that point just replace it.

Wrst_Plyr_Evr 12-10-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1991
Still, Phasers are one of those modulation effects that most people seem to agree sounds better before any dirt. Remember that pedal placement is all subjective and is only limited to what sounds good to the player.

Anyway back on topic, check the battery if you're using one. If its a fresh battery or you're using a power supply then I would bet on the pot, which is cheap enough to justify replacing to see if thats the problem. If replacing the pot does not work and its not a vintage unit than any further repairs wouldn't be worth the cost. At that point just replace it.

I'm completely new to soldering and modding pedals. Is switching out the pot something that I can do myself or is it something that I should just get a tech to do?

Wrst_EDIT_Evr:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
I'm pretty sure DeVilles do have an effects loop. Pre-amp out is send and power-amp in is return.

That's what I thought. But I have a bad habit of second guessing myself.

Dave_Mc 12-11-2012 11:09 AM

if you can't solder at all it'd probably be safer to get someone to do it. I'm not sure pedals (and especially a pedal that you probably don't want to banjax up) are the place to start for learning soldering.