UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   An idea for a custom guitar. What do you guys think about it? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576852)

Lyrax 12-07-2012 08:01 PM

An idea for a custom guitar. What do you guys think about it?

This guitar is pretty weird and I got this idea mainly from tenor guitars and a guy with a similar guitar on Youtube.
Specs:
4 strings (not a bass dammit!)
.30-.42-.52-.80,
E - B - F - F low to high Look at the edit at the bottom!
Alder body or hard maple.
Neck through and maple fretboard.

The pickups would be tight and very crunchy with "round" highs. It also should bring out harmonics if that is possible. Hard to describe thou.

The body would almost be like a Schecter C-1 with a thin "waist" and sharper horns. The cutaway should be deep.
The headstock would be like this:
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/wp-con...ith-D-tuner.jpg

What do you guys think about that?

Edit: the tuning should be F#-F#-B-E low to high! And the lowest string is an octave down, hence the fat .80. Hope I cleared it up a bit.

racertj5 12-07-2012 09:07 PM

4 string guitar...why?

Carl6661 12-07-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
4 string guitar...why?

... Why not? :p:

People talk about extended range guitars all the time, what's wrong with the idea of a reduced range guitar :shrug:. The idea is perhaps a little odd, but being different is pretty much what custom guitars are all about - there's no reason it couldn't turn out brilliantly. :)

rickygarcia90 12-07-2012 09:22 PM

It sounds unusual, which means you should go for it! :-P

supersac 12-07-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
4 string guitar...why?

this is what i was thinking

with four strings it woundt be good for too many chords outs side of triads unless you ignore the fifths
im assuming this isnt mean for jazz :haha:

having said that go for it

Lyrax 12-07-2012 09:31 PM

Its like more for single notes and like two finger power chords and the tuning and string gauge creates depth.
Then for some tapping like you would on a bass.
But I haven`t figured how it would work out with scales...

Carl21221 12-07-2012 09:34 PM

It's an interesting concept imo, but wouldnt it be better to just tune 4 strings on a 6 string guitar to that tuning? I suppose for a project its a cool idea but its not very practical.

I like the idea for the body and headstock shape though!

EDIT: just re-read the OP and realised the range of the tuning. My apologies :shrug:

Lyrax 12-07-2012 10:01 PM

Do you guys have any idea of how much this approximately would cost?

LeviMan_2001 12-08-2012 01:35 AM

Why would you want three strings that are so close in tuning? You realize E and F are only a half step apart?

JayLenosChin 12-08-2012 05:03 AM

Love the Idea....

Id love a four string guitar. Infact, you should make a 3 string guitar thats specifically designed for power chords only, lol. Hell sounds cool to me.

:waldo::waldo: :waldo::waldo: :waldo::waldo: :waldo::waldo:

Lyrax 12-08-2012 10:07 AM

Dat troll ^^
You could tune it to E-B-F#-F# also, or E A D G. I like these weird tuning.
Those two highest strings tuned to F# are kinda for "drones".
Sometimes I tune my 7 to C# F# B E G# C# C# and then you have those two C#`s for drones. You should try it.
Take a look at this guy, he has a baritone 4 string:

Lyrax 12-08-2012 10:12 AM

Edit: the tuning should be F#-F#-B-E low to high or F-F-B-E as long as the bottom string is an octave lower than the other one above it. Hence the fat .80.
Forgot to write that and I mixed it up a bit.

Boonnoo666 12-09-2012 02:13 PM

Tbf in my opinion it sounds like a cool and innovative guitar. Have you started on it yet?

Lyrax 12-09-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Tbf in my opinion it sounds like a cool and innovative guitar. Have you started on it yet?

No. I don`t know a thing about making guitars myself.
I probably will go see a guitar luthier for my 18th birthday and see if he could make this idea reality. That`s like 3 months away.

But it sounds intriguing doesn`t it?

Explorerbuilder 12-09-2012 05:31 PM

This idea is pointless.
If you want a guitar with that tuning, just have a normal 6 string made at a baritone scale and tune it to that, AND still have a full guitar to play with.

All these "innovative" ideas people get are ridiculous. There is a reason they havnt been made, its pointless.

Charvel1995 12-10-2012 10:08 PM

How is this pointless? Tenor guitars do exist. In fact there are plenty of manufacturers of Tenor guitars. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean its pointless, people do play them.

I say go for it, see if you can get a custom one done. That'd be pretty cool.

rjaylaf 12-11-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
This idea is pointless.
If you want a guitar with that tuning, just have a normal 6 string made at a baritone scale and tune it to that, AND still have a full guitar to play with.

All these "innovative" ideas people get are ridiculous. There is a reason they havnt been made, its pointless.

If people thought like that the stratocaster wouldn't be in existence hell the electric guitar that you know and love wouldn't even be here if people thought like that.

On topic, this sounds really weird. I wouldn't know what to do with it but if you could do something cool with it go for it.

TunerAddict 12-11-2012 06:22 AM

Didn't Wes Borland play a 4 string baritone guitar?

metal-matt 12-11-2012 06:40 AM

reminds me of how max cavalera used to (probably still does?) pull the 2 high strings off his guitars, even at one point he had some signiture BC Rich warlocks that were basicly normal 6 string guitars, but the last 2 tuners wernt even drilled out, so you could only use 4 strings on them

if its what you want, go for it, silly traditionalists trying to stop people because they arnt doing things 'right' and 'proper', u guis mad cos im using strings twice as thick as standard (17-74) and tuned down an octave? hah :P

Lyrax 12-11-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Didn't Wes Borland play a 4 string baritone guitar?

Borland actually does play one! I just noticed he played on one during the song Nookie on Woodstock 99.
He also does use it during the song Full Nelson I found out.
I always thought that it was the bass doing that.
I`m so getting this guitar.

Edit: The guy in the video built his guitar according to Wes Borland`s specs on his 4-string.