UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ferrets (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1576905)

Random3 12-08-2012 04:38 AM

Ferrets

Ferrets. These things.

So, my girlfriend has decided to get a ferret. As a pet. Not only that, she is planning on taking it for walks. Like a dog. Has she gone insane?

Poll inc.

ErikLensherr 12-08-2012 04:39 AM

I used to really want one as a kid. You can put them on a leash and everything.

Harvey Swick 12-08-2012 04:39 AM

ferrets stink, man. not stink like they are bad but they smell. not smell like sniff things but they have a terrible odor.

Random3 12-08-2012 04:42 AM

Also I may end up living with the thing next year, so if the smell is that bad I may have to sort something out...

Harvey Swick 12-08-2012 04:43 AM

if your girlfriends walks it, i don't doubt some stray dogs will be after it.

suckersdream 12-08-2012 05:20 AM

I'd love to have one as a pet and walk it. Its just the smell that puts me off, and some of them can be pretty agressive.

chaoticfables 12-08-2012 06:16 AM

I trained mine and now I have a Sentret

jakesmellspoo 12-08-2012 06:18 AM

i want a leash for my cats.

i'd love to smoke a doob and take em for a walk.

plus, i'm sure i'd get plenty of strange looks from the people in my town.

skippy_moogoose 12-08-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticfables
I trained mine and now I have a Sentret

:haha: awesome, and made me chuckle

But as has already been said, they smell, like, pretty bad, way worse than any other rodent I've kept, and they can be quite aggressive if you don't put a lot of effort and time into them, they are pretty clever little things and so can get bored easily. It's not like having a skinny bunny rabbit or a stretched out guinea pig!

Todd Hart 12-08-2012 06:31 AM

I own(ed) and ferret and I walk(ed) it.

Ferrets are boss. Females and neutered males don't smell, and they only bite as much as a kitten or puppy does. Hell, I was bitten more by my friend's rabbit on one visit than I was two ferrets in seven or so years.

Edit: ^ this guy, for example, is talking rubbish. They aren't aggressive and barely smell, so long as they cleaned correctly and neutered/mated (females need to be spayed unless you're going find them a mate, otherwise they'll die shortly after their first season.

Except for the cleverness thing, they're pretty nifty when they want to be. Little escape artists and thieves.

skippy_moogoose 12-08-2012 06:39 AM

^ I worked with ferrets in a rescue shelter for a time, and enjoyed it, but they smelled and were a little bitey

Todd Hart 12-08-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy_moogoose
^ I worked with ferrets in a rescue shelter for a time, and enjoyed it, but they smelled and were a little bitey

I assume ferrets found in rescue shelters were not neutered/castrated or correctly maintained. :p: Otherwise they wouldn't smell, except in the mating season when hoblets (castrated males) and females start to smell faintly of honey.

If they aren't spayed/neutered then the males do stink, but unless you're going to be breeding them there's no reason not to have them snipped, especially the females.

As for biting, as I said they're no worse than a puppy if they're properly cared for. Like any animal they will attack if they feel nervous, but otherwise they just play by biting lightly, like any predatory pet does.

skippy_moogoose 12-08-2012 07:10 AM

I'm guessing you're right about the not neutered thing dude!
And yeah, they wern't bitey as in super aggresive, more playful nips a lot, as you say, like a puppy or a kitten, but I know some people get really funny about it.
If I had the space, I'd consider having a ferret or two, sadly, Im not even allowed a goldfish where I currently live, which drives me mad as I've always been surrounded by animals

CoreysMonster 12-08-2012 07:13 AM

TunerAddict 12-08-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster

I need to watch that movie again.

CoreysMonster 12-08-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict

Yes you do.

Harvey Swick 12-08-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict

its not a tumor!

CoreysMonster 12-08-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
its not a tumor!

SHUT UUUUUUP!!!!

mystical_1 12-08-2012 12:00 PM

I had three ferrets when I was fifteen, they lived about five years, all died from tumors; which is pretty common. Ninja, Taffy, and Prancer. They were extemely intelligent, far smarter than a dog or cat, hands down.

I trained them to walk with me without a leash, steal lighters and put them in my baseball cap, and to attack my best friends cat.

The black sables and females are pretty tempermental but the gray/white male ones are about as loving as an animal as you can get. You still have to be very careful that the one you get has a good temperment or you will hate it.

I miss them. They don't smell if you give them a bath once a week but they will reak havoc on your carpet and shoes. And they will take and hide your stuff. But so much fun.

Bob_Sacamano 12-08-2012 12:06 PM

My brother has one and keeps it in a cage 80% of the time.

But they're pretty cool creatures, the smell thing is true though and they can be pretty pesky (his always steals his stuff like socks and hordes them into a pile, lol) and once he made a shit mountain behind his couch.