UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pickup advice? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577149)

SlayerExoDeth 12-09-2012 07:27 PM

Pickup advice?

I may be a noob on the forums, but not with guitar pickups. The dimarzio IBZ's in my Ibanez RG premium are not doing it for me. Not enough clarity. Can someone suggest a good pickup? My guitar only takes dimarzios (certain pickup mount). Im really looking for a nice distortion with plenty of clarity. Like Exodus, Megadeth, stuff like that. My guitar is a basswood body with quilted maple top, my amp is a peavey 3120.

Dave_Mc 12-09-2012 07:46 PM

are you willing to rely on the amp for dirt (or hit it with an od boost pedal)?

if so, paf pros. super clear.

SlayerExoDeth 12-10-2012 09:11 PM

Getting a od for the holidays (well, im asking for one). I heard the paf pros, they sound amazing!

ragingkitty 12-10-2012 09:16 PM

Huh????

Since when did Ibanez only accept DiMarzios?

I've got an RG and I've DiMarzios, Duncans, Bare Knuckles, Lollars, Lace Sensors in before.

lbj273 12-10-2012 09:45 PM

Klon

SlayerExoDeth 12-10-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Huh????

Since when did Ibanez only accept DiMarzios?

I've got an RG and I've DiMarzios, Duncans, Bare Knuckles, Lollars, Lace Sensors in before.

Long story.

Dimarzio's can go in most guitars because of the mounting ring being triangular. My guitar can only accept these triangular mountings. :shrug:

SlayerExoDeth 12-10-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
Klon

Haha, i'd love to get a klon.

SlayerExoDeth 12-10-2012 10:13 PM

Im starting to think of several.

Dimarzio crunchlab

paf pro

evo 2

loki_lulamen 12-10-2012 10:32 PM

crunchlab/liquifier combo or if you want extreme clarity go for the evos

ps. changing mounting rings isnt a major hassle. and they are pretty cheap too

Addonexus408 12-10-2012 10:45 PM

Evo's are the way to go, the pickup EVERYTHING and they sound good for metal as well as having awesome cleans. If you want to focus more on metal but still have that clarity look into DActivators

trashedlostfdup 12-11-2012 01:55 AM

tone zone/air norton (came on my Prestige 3550MZ)

crunchlab/liquifier (what is going on the 2570 once i get a 1XXX series and the pickups from the 2570 go in the 1XXX. those diamarzio/ibz pickups are much nicer than most every stock ibanez branded pickup. at least in the last ten years.

ragingkitty 12-11-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
Evo's are the way to go, the pickup EVERYTHING and they sound good for metal as well as having awesome cleans. If you want to focus more on metal but still have that clarity look into DActivators

Actually the EVOs are too smooth for thrash... they sound rather neutered when what you want is to have big-hairy-balls in the audience's collective faces.

SlayerExoDeth 12-11-2012 08:08 PM

Yeah, the evos sound pretty smooth, but i'm very happy about taking other suggestions.

I've heard d activator pickups are pretty good

SlayerExoDeth 12-11-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408

What about d activator x's? I've heard those are pretty good. Also, do you know which evo is better? (evo or evo 2)

Dave_Mc 12-11-2012 08:37 PM

depends. i think i have an evo2 (by that i mean i bought a guitar with it already in it and haven't taken it out to check) and I'm not fussed on it, to be honest. though it does have a fairly thrashy rhythm tone, but it has nowhere near enough mids for my liking for leads and the like. It's ages since i've tried an evo so I really couldn't compare.

ragingkitty 12-11-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerExoDeth
What about d activator x's? I've heard those are pretty good. Also, do you know which evo is better? (evo or evo 2)

Those are too hot, they're basically D Activators with the X2N's output. Had one and I felt you lose all playing dynamics.

I think the D Activators are nice choices. You could also look at the D Sonic or one of its variants for the bridge and maybe the Humbucker from Hell for the neck maybe?

Addonexus408 12-12-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Actually the EVOs are too smooth for thrash... they sound rather neutered when what you want is to have big-hairy-balls in the audience's collective faces.

A buddy of mine has an ibby with an EVO set in them and they sound awesome for thrash, its all in the amp. To each their own though i suppose. TS the x series D Activators are overkill, standard ones are more than enough.

Maidenheadsteve 12-12-2012 10:00 PM

Super Distortion bridge. Get an air norton in the neck. It's basically a liquifire, just a bit more treble and its cheaper.

SlayerExoDeth 12-13-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenheadsteve
Super Distortion bridge. Get an air norton in the neck. It's basically a liquifire, just a bit more treble and its cheaper.

the super distortion sounds too tamed to my ears. i really like the air norton though.

SlayerExoDeth 12-13-2012 10:55 PM

im thinking either

bridge:

crunchlab

Evo vs Evo 2

D Activator

neck:

PAF pro

Air norton

D Activator neck