UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dimarzio Area T's (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577187)

Charvel1995 12-09-2012 11:46 PM

Dimarzio Area T's

With Christmas coming up, my parents are wanting a list as to what I want (my birthday is Dec 22, so I'll be getting Xmas and Birthday gifts) I'm looking to do some upgrading.

Currently I plan on getting : a MXR 6 band EQ,
TC Electronics Hall of Fame
And a pickup upgrade for my tele, as my Rhoads is going to get a chip out of the horn replaced and refinished.

So my Tele is now my main.

I'm looking at the DiMarzio Are T set, most likely the Hot Bridge, and the Area T neck, or possibly the Super Distortion, with the Area T neck pickup, as that seems to be the only hum cancelling one on the website.

My question is, are they the solderless set, I can't find out on their site if it is or not, maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas though? I can't working a soldering gun, and i don't want to practice on my main guitar and screw shit up. I know the Twang King se is solderless, and it seems most pickups usually sare now, so I assume these are, but I'm wanting to be sure.

LaidBack 12-10-2012 12:55 AM

I've got the Super Distortion T. It's pretty high output, but I like it. What sort of music are you playing?

Charvel1995 12-10-2012 08:26 AM

Stone Sour, Memphis May Fire, Bad Religion, Trivium, Pennywise. Metal and punk rock mainly. I also like doing GnR, Iron Maiden and Saxon from time to time.

Sometimes I play jazz and blues, but I have a different guitar for that.

I'm torn between the Area T set, Super Distortion + Area T neck, or the Tone Zone and Area T.

I'm also open to trying out a different brand like EMG, I looked at Seymour Duncans but my local shops wants an outrageous price for those pickups.

ihartfood 12-10-2012 09:22 AM

:lurk:

Charvel1995 12-11-2012 02:22 PM

Bump, anyone?

MrFlibble 12-11-2012 03:20 PM

Going by the sort of bands you listed, the Tone Zone T will be your best bet. The 'Area' pickups still sound like Tele pickups, just without 50/60-cycle hum, and the Super Distortion T doesn't quite have the mids needed to give a full, classic high-output humbucker sound, which seems to be what you're after. The Super Distortion T will do the job, it's just that the Tone Zone T will do it better.

Though really I'd say the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for Tele is the best bet. They have even stronger mids than the Tone Zone T. I appreciate they may be more expensive, though. Shop around.

You can't get the Super Distortion or Tone Zone T in a solderless set, but I really wouldn't worry about it. The DiMarzio system isn't all that great, doesn't work with every type of Tele and overall is more work than simply soldering in new pickups.

Charvel1995 12-11-2012 04:27 PM

Thanks a ton. I appreciate it

I think the Hot Rails are my best bet, although they're $70 or so more than the DiMarzio's.

I'm going to go with those. Will they come with new pots to go with them?

LaidBack 12-11-2012 10:52 PM

The Super Distortion T doesn't have mids you say? I beg to differ. It's pretty much all mids.

It will do heavy genres just fine. Plenty of punch and output.

Charvel1995 12-14-2012 11:45 AM

I'm going with the Hot Rails, I might try out Super Distortions in my Rhoads as the normal humbuckers.

Also is this the wiring diagram I need to use when I get my Hot Rails? http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/s...ng_pushpull.pdf

I'm not too familiar with wiring diagrams, but it seems very straight forward. Would switching both the pots to 500k Ohms be wise to do as well? Even though the diagram shows 250k

Also, do I HAVE to have a Push/Pull tone pot? Or s the normal one that came with my Tele okay?
Could I use a DiMarzio tone pot with SD pickups? Or should i just keep my Standard tele pot or get a CTS/Bourns one?