UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The perfect amp? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577271)

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 12:33 PM

The perfect amp?

Hey UG

I know I've posted a few threads on these forums about amps but I'm just not quite satisfied yet.

So.. I have a Peavey Bravo 112 Combo amp, old little tube amp from the 80's which sounds quite good. I got it for cheap ($400 used, which is very cheap in Iceland) and have stuck with it for a few months.
I love the drive of it, it goes anywhere from crunch to metal and it sounds great for what I do. The clean channel is fine, sounds pretty good but even with the bright switch on it's not really sparkly enough for what I'm playing. What I'm looking for is that John Mayer, John Frusciante, SRV, Hendrix kind of Clean/Drive sound.
However I just got an offer to trade this amp for a greaaaat strat (G&L S-500) which is a good deal for me since the amp is worth ~$400 and the strat is worth ~$600+ on my used market.

That leaves me with a budget of around $500-600 (400 ish from thomann or simular sites that ship to Iceland cheap) to get a new amp (fine with used) and I was wondering if there was a perfect little head/combo amp that could do everything from the clean I mentioned to crunch to high gain rock?

I'm only really thinking about a bedroom amp for now, might evolve to band rehearsals but nothing on the horizon as of now,

I'm quite interested in the Tiny Terror but lack of a effects loop and a single channel turns me off a bit.

Any thoughts of an amp for me?

tubetime86 12-10-2012 12:50 PM

Do you really need it to go into super high gain? Leaving out that bit would open up your possibilities a lot. As you state it now I think a Vypyr tube might be the best option.

Dave_Mc 12-10-2012 12:55 PM

engl screamer? if you can find one used. that'd be the thing. try to find one of the newer ones with the vintage 30 speaker (not the end of the world if you don't, but if you're paying the same you might as well get the one with the better speaker). EDIT: how often they come up on the used market in iceland, i have no idea. :haha

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Do you really need it to go into super high gain? Leaving out that bit would open up your possibilities a lot. As you state it now I think a Vypyr tube might be the best option.

Well not really, I'm not a metal player... I like to play some hard rock (think something like A7X is the hardest I'd go) and occationally post-hardcore (Something like the guitar tone of Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or Sleeping with Sirens)

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
engl screamer? if you can find one used. that'd be the thing. try to find one of the newer ones with the vintage 30 speaker (not the end of the world if you don't, but if you're paying the same you might as well get the one with the better speaker). EDIT: how often they come up on the used market in iceland, i have no idea. :haha

I've never seen an Engl come up on the used market here... don't even think there's a store here that supplies Engl... Shame

Edit: My god, how good that Engl sounds!

I guess this would be THE amp for me... does everything from beautiful clean to high gain... A bit out of my budget tho, costs around 1000 new on thomann, my budget is like half of that as of now :/

thes50 12-10-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthorsigmunds
Well not really, I'm not a metal player... I like to play some hard rock (think something like A7X is the hardest I'd go) and occationally post-hardcore (Something like the guitar tone of Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or Sleeping with Sirens)

You really don't need much gain to sound like A7x.

Might be slightly above your price range but Laney Ironhearts are meant to be very good, you could get the combo version of that.

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 02:04 PM

Any more suggestions since the Engl is out of my price range as of now?

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thes50
You really don't need much gain to sound like A7x.

Might be slightly above your price range but Laney Ironhearts are meant to be very good, you could get the combo version of that.

The Laney sounds pretty nice but I'm not sure how good the clean is for what I want

thes50 12-10-2012 02:17 PM

To be fair they don't show it off that well, It does have a pretty nice clean tone.

Play from 1:30

Premier Guitar have a nice review with a good clip of the clean channel too.

leigh596 12-10-2012 02:18 PM

the engl pre amp sounds pretty good, just buy a power amp and cabinet and boom! or a cheap amp and plug it into the fx return haha!

MattCox12345 12-10-2012 02:47 PM

Peavey Bandit 112. I have one. It's quite powerful though. The one i have is the combo. Also try a Marshall MG or MA series amp. Although the MA series amps aren't as good a other Marshall amps I still like them. I also have a Fender Mustang and those are truly amazing amplifiers. Even though a Fender amp usually means excellent clean channel and terrible distortion, the mustang can provide you with just about any sort of tone you want. You can also download and create presets and use effects.

Lyrax 12-10-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:
The Laney sounds pretty nice but I'm not sure how good the clean is for what I want

Dude, I have a Laney Ironheart 60W combo and for the price range and even thou this is an high gain amp the cleans are awesome.
The cleans in the Rob Chappers video are pretty thin and it is probably the guitars fault but when I play, they sound awesome.
Definitely an awesome amp for the price range and it`s also all tube.

racertj5 12-10-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCox12345
Peavey Bandit 112. I have one. It's quite powerful though. The one i have is the combo. Also try a Marshall MG or MA series amp. Although the MA series amps aren't as good a other Marshall amps I still like them. I also have a Fender Mustang and those are truly amazing amplifiers. Even though a Fender amp usually means excellent clean channel and terrible distortion, the mustang can provide you with just about any sort of tone you want. You can also download and create presets and use effects.

No, just no, Marshall MG really?

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

I'm really not interested in the Bravo nor an MG. I don't want a modeling amp

Dave_Mc 12-10-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:
I've never seen an Engl come up on the used market here... don't even think there's a store here that supplies Engl... Shame

Edit: My god, how good that Engl sounds!

I guess this would be THE amp for me... does everything from beautiful clean to high gain... A bit out of my budget tho, costs around 1000 new on thomann, my budget is like half of that as of now :/

yeah i figured. I have seen them used here fairly frequently for around the 400 mark (which is around your budget) but obviously that's no help in iceland. :(

gak has it for 700 new (which is about 100 cheaper than thomann) but that's still a fair whack above your budget... :(

EDIT: maybe, if you can find one, a laney vc50 combo? I haven't tried it, but supposedly it's the combo version of the vh100r head (which i have tried).

Just to let you know, the currently-still-produced vc30 and vc15 are totally different amps. I dunno why they named them the same :haha

EDIT #2: failing that, maybe a traynor ycv50b on thomann? It's good value there. It probably won't get as heavy as an engl, but with a boost (if the 40 watt version i tried was anything to go by) it should do most things short of the modern high gain thing.

EDIT #3: holy cow that was some killer playing by that dude in the vid towards the end :eek:

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

You, sir, just listed a bunch of choices that he SHOULDN'T go with. Congrats.

I'm completely ignorant about prices over there, so bear with me on these suggestions :haha:

Egnater Rebel 30

Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus

Egnater Tweaker

Maybe an AC30? That one's a bit iffy.

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
You, sir, just listed a bunch of choices that he SHOULDN'T go with. Congrats.

I'm completely ignorant about prices over there, so bear with me on these suggestions :haha:

Egnater Rebel 30

Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus

Egnater Tweaker

Maybe an AC30? That one's a bit iffy.

The Egnater Rebel and Tweaker seem to be out of my price range, except maybe for the 15w 1 channel versions...
My budget is around 400 for new (maybe stretch to 500)

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 05:27 PM

See, I don't know what that converts to in Dollars, and I also am not fluent in prices where you are, especially used prices. Sorry about that :cheers:

jonthorsigmunds 12-10-2012 06:01 PM

My budget is 500-600$ like I said up there :)

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:
My budget is 500-600$ like I said up there :)

See, in the US, you can get a Rebel 30 for $700 new, a Tweaker 40 for $550 new, and a Tweaker 88 for $800 new. Those would all be in your price range used.