UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   An amp for all occasions. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577304)

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 04:09 PM

An amp for all occasions.

Hello good people!

I have 2 amps. I have a Fender Super 60. Beautiful clean channel, so so lovely. But it's not as loud as it should be as I do play with a band and will gig with it. The gain channel is not as nice as it should be. I do normally use my big muff but it doesn't give me the blues gain that I want, neither does the amp.

It's such a shame because the clean is so nice. But in my cut throat world of fickle buying and trading in if you don't cut it you're going back to the shop!

My Lil night train is okay, but I never use it and I'm not too fussed.

So here are the details you want.

I live in London, work near it.

I will be selling both amps if need be and adding some cash so I guess my budget will be around 700ish. I don't mind used as long as it isn't old. My super 60, such lovely cleans, hums n stuff even after the tubes have been changed.

It has to have great cleans. I play Froosh stuff, Hendrix, QOTSA, Pumpkins, Stones, Guns & Roses, Led Zeppelin, I want to be able to play jazzy stuff, great cleans, bluesy gain but also a good metally crunch.

So let's recap this crazy combination.

I want to able to play Slash, QOTSA, Froosh, Hendrix and Pumpkins on it. So blues and hard rock but not too high gain with the ability to get jazz tones.

It must be an upgrade. I don't like modelling amps, solid state or hybrids.

DylanHendrix 12-10-2012 04:13 PM

Fender Super Sonic

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
Fender Super Sonic

What size are you talking about? They are 1000+ :)

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 04:21 PM

Is the Super 60 a 60w amp? If so, if that's not loud enough, something is seriously wrong.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 04:25 PM

It's quite normal for them not to actually achieve 60W on the clean channel. The wattage was tested on the gain channel. The clean just isn't as loud.

I believe it's a design flaw, which is such a bummer because it's so nice. Plus the gain isn't as amazing as the clean.

It seems that a lot of my influences play Marshall...

311ZOSOVHJH 12-10-2012 04:26 PM

used Egnater Renegade

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 04:29 PM

Here's some people talking about the amp and the loudness of it. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ar...p/t-587720.html

It's okay but it should be louder, especially when you want to balance the driven gain with the clean.

Plus as I said, the gain channel isn't amazing.

If the clean is a 9, the gain is a 6. I want them both to be 9.

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 04:49 PM

60w and 120w have a barely noticable volume difference. Watts are more of a measure of Headroom. The actual volume is other factors, but generally, any tube amp above 20w is loud enough for a gig. I find it odd that you have that big of an amp and you stuggle for volume at gigs. Something smells of shenanigans.

Also, +1 on 331's rec of an Egnater Renegade.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 04:57 PM

Yea I'm aware of wattage, how a 1w can be nearly similar decibels to a much higher wattage etc hehe.

It's alright, but it should be more. Check out the link.

Also, probably more importantly its the quality of the gain.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 05:09 PM

The renegade seems to go for around 900+ new. Nothing on eBay at the moment.

Possibly in my price range but they aren't in any local shops for me to try.

Any other ideas?

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 05:17 PM

Well, you could look into:

Peavey Ultra

Peavey Ultra Plus

Egnater Rebel 30

Egnater Tweaker 88

You might be able to find an EVH 5150 III Mini in that price range.

A Vox AC30 might also be worth checking out

Cathbard 12-10-2012 05:18 PM

Can you get a Laney VH100R for that used over there?

MrFlibble 12-10-2012 05:19 PM

Check out the Marshall JCM2000s. They're not going to give you the world's finest jazz tones, but everything else, they can do well.
Blackstar also make a wide range of amps that can cover all the ground you mentioned, though like any jack-of-all-trades amps, they don't particularly excel in any area. You can certainly get something from them that is within your budget, loud and varied enough in tone, though.
The brand might make you sneer, but take a look at the Line 6 DT series of amps. Like the amps Blackstar make, they can do damn near anything you ask of them, though they're not going to blow you away in any one area. The Carvin V3M is a similar beast, lots of options in each channel but you'll never win awards for your tones.

You may be best off grabbing an amp that has appropriate clean tones and alright light drive, then use an OD pedal for medium distortion and then a dedicated distortion pedal for the heavier stuff. Frankly, what makes an amp give classic jazz tones is the opposite of what will give you typical hard rock and dirty blues tones. This is why people in the prog scene tend to gravitate toward multi-amp set ups and amp modelling, and why you got guys like Prince in the 80s just saying to hell with it, using a Roland Jazz Chorus and sticking an army of pedals in front.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 05:35 PM

Blktiger, I'll check them out.

The Vox does sound like something I should have thought of.

MrFibble, I feel that my current amp has the appropriate clean, but the gain isn't amazing at all, compared to say a super sonic. Have you played a Super 60?

I just feel I have a good budget for something that does it all a lot better. Blackstar are cool, but I'm a little bit of an amp purist and I know that they do a lot hybrids, but my pal has one and it's nice but it's not as nice as my Super.

JCMs are going to be looked at now. Thanks.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 06:05 PM

Also you need to be on steroids to move the Super around. It's so heavy, and my back is nearing a second operation at the age of 28 :/

Something lighter is required which is another factor.

There's 3 factors.

1) Not masses of headroom on the clean channel, the gain is much louder.

2) The gain channel isn't amazing.

3) It's mega heavy.

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 06:20 PM

/inb4cathsaysgetatrolley

Cathbard 12-10-2012 06:28 PM

;)

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
/inb4cathsaysgetatrolley

I can't steal them anymore. They have some ****ed up technology in the wheels that stop them from working as soon as you get anywhere near the exit of the supermarket.

It's wrong. It's just wrong.

Mephaphil 12-10-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

;)

Yea see, in the UK we have a different kind of trolley. And people steal them and drive their shopping home like a trolley person who is homeless but isn't. It's so normal the police don't mind but it's a problem, a definite problem. Enough for the supermarkets to invest in crazy wheel locking technology.

I could put the money for your trolley on my budget. And the new amp would be lighter, negating the trolley.

Blktiger0 12-10-2012 06:41 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I thought you were completely kidding in the first response, then I read the second one

That's great...

See, over here in the States, we usually call them Dolley or just Cart

Silly language dialects.