UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Advice for first set of pedals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577307)

Habylab 12-10-2012 04:34 PM

Advice for first set of pedals

Hi there, first proper post apart from some tabs.

Basically I have a band now and have a few songs that sounds pretty awesome, but have these effects in my head that work, but no pedals to put them to. I have a really old Digitech RP6, but I got it second hand and it has been stomped the hell out of, and completely unreliable for gigs.

Basically, I am going to guess single boxes are better than multi-effects? I love multi-effects especially with presets, but I want to go deeper. My main bands I love in terms of effects are Foals and Bombay Bicycle Club. I can tell straight away both use a lot of reverb, and Foals in particular delay. Bloc Party too, in particular Octopus for that effect, sounds like memory man delay to me. But I need a couple of suggestions.

I love the idea of the Electro-Harmonix Cathedral. A bit expensive, but it seems all encompassing for me anyway.

I also like the sounds of one of their memory ___ boxes, but they are all very similar? The memory man seems too much, but the toy too little and the boy is just meant to be weird. And then the deluxe editions? Blimey, it is confusing. I have heard of a Carbon Copy pedal performing better.

I don't have a massive budget, so suggestions are welcome!

blazing riff 12-10-2012 04:46 PM

There are a lot of multi-effects pedals that do really great jobs and even do better than low budget stomp boxes. If you want to gofor a wide array of effects I'd suggest the VOX tonelab and Line 6 POD HD models, those are really good multi-effects pedals. If you do want to go for your own unique set of pedals I d' certanly get a boss DD-3 or DD-7, those are by far the best digital delay pedals out there. Hope this helps

losing battle 12-10-2012 04:53 PM

What is your budget? Genres? New or used?

GuitarFreak1387 12-10-2012 05:05 PM

From my experience the Pod Hd is worth the money. if you do go the pod rout id go with the 500. the 300 and 400 and i think the bean also can only use one Fx at a time and its quite limiting. and believe me, this thing lets you tweek anything. it is a bit confusing at first though.

Minimallamb 12-10-2012 05:49 PM

A multi effects pedal could be useful as I know that Bloc Party sometimes uses two delays to get their sound. I cant speak for the Pods, but on a Zoom G3/G5 you can set up the patch as having two delays that you can edit and activate individually

Habylab 12-10-2012 06:39 PM

Thank you for the messages! Technically, I have around 500, but don't want to blow all of it. I've just bought a EHX LB-1 to boost signal during solos, and have my eye on a memory toy.

Yes, I do love multi-effects. Before I check the ones mentioned, are they easily changed during a gig? I have seen some where you might have to bend down in order to change. Configurable presets also needed. As I said, I will check the couple mentioned tomorrow!

And yes, for Octopus, Bloc Party use two delays, I have seen the set up they use and it is quite complicated. They use a hell of a lot in the studio, hence live it sounds different normally.

Used is perfectly acceptable.

Thank you for the warm welcome too!

EDIT: Just quickly checked the Pod Hd500, looks very nice. Expensive, but exactly what I need. I have had a look at boss me-range, and they seem too fidly and not-gig friendly? These on the other hand for a similar price are much better! Thank you so far.

Okay, the line 6 is definitely out of my budget. I might treat myself, but not at the moment!

Minimallamb 12-10-2012 06:51 PM

Id pass on the Boss MEs, I sold mine recently. It was fiddly and not gig friendly, liek you said

Habylab 12-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimallamb
Id pass on the Boss MEs, I sold mine recently. It was fiddly and not gig friendly, liek you said

Exactly, my guitar tutor has had manyyyy over the years and says he's lucky he didn't have it whilst touring.

I think individuals is the way forward for me at the moment. Unless I can find a really good multi-effects for 200, I won't bother. I won't use half of them... trouble is I want the other half!

The EH Freeze looks interesting for me. I really, really want the Cathedral, but can't see myself spending that much on it. Maybe the Freeze at around 60 and then a reverb around the same price?

ragingkitty 12-10-2012 09:05 PM

If the Pod HD 500 is exactly what you want then save up for it or get one second hand. Individual stomps get expensive real quick.

Habylab 12-11-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
If the Pod HD 500 is exactly what you want then save up for it or get one second hand. Individual stomps get expensive real quick.

I know, I know. But, they won't be as good all bundled together. Not as easy to change yourself, plus the extra features like "freeze" and "infinite reverb" just can't be found really.

I am eyeing up a delay, a reverb and the Electro Harmonix freeze. That's all I need at the moment. Memory toy looks nice, decent oscilation too. I've been looking at reverbs a lot and stuck between digital and analogue!

Again, cheap but good would be excellent help!

EDIT: Whilst I like the infinite reverb on the cathedral, I think the freeze does a better approach to it, in terms of that you can leave the device and rock out.

With that in mind, a delay, a reverb and a freeze are in order. Is the memory toy a good delay? The boy any better? Or something better for around that price range. Any second hand cheapies recommended would be great too. Boss Rv-5 seems the reverb for me if I can get it cheap that is!

ragingkitty 12-11-2012 06:51 PM

If you can splash out a little more why not a TC Electronics Hall of Fame or a Hardwire Supernatural. Both of those reverb pedals are SIGNIFICANTLY more advanced and better than the Boss reverb

BobDetroit 12-11-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
I d' certanly get a boss DD-3 or DD-7, those are by far the best digital delay pedals out there. Hope this helps

I dare you to go post that in the pedal board thread. Go on I dare you.

losing battle 12-11-2012 08:18 PM

Tc electronics flashback/alter ego and hall of fame/trinity would serve you well as your delay and reverb. The memory boy with tap tempo should be in your budget as well.

AWACS 12-11-2012 09:15 PM

TS, do you want to go completely balls-out with your effects? Or do you want to just experiment. Just test the waters a little bit, then decide on what you really want? (excluding what your favourite bands use,)

ragingkitty 12-11-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit

Hey man, everyone's entitled to their opinion of what is best, which in itself is a very subjective matter. However misguided it maybe.

That said, I like to see the poster to also make that same claim in the pedalboard thread just to see the regulars quickly and violently disabuse him of the notion.

blazing riff 12-12-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit

It's just my opinion, you're entiteled to have yours. But since the guy suggested he doesn't have a massive budget that's the way I would go, they are well worth their money. And sure, you can go overboard on custom made pedals and you may have a preference for another pedal, but that's just my opinion, don't shoot the messenger.

cha33 armstrong 12-12-2012 08:56 AM

octopus is 2 boss delays with a boss line selecter

Sid McCall 12-12-2012 02:43 PM

If you want multiple delay sounds, check out the Line 6 DL-4. It's the holy grail of Line 6 products, which isn't saying much, but it's seriously awesome. You will be satisfied for a very very long time with one of those.

Does your amp have an fx loop? If so, get a nice reverb and run it through there, it'll sound great. If not, don't buy too nice of a reverb because it'll sound less than stellar out in front. It'll work, but you won't notice the difference between an $80 reverb and a $500 reverb in front (feature set aside).

Habylab 12-12-2012 06:55 PM

Firstly, you guys are awesome. Thank you for the support, very useful and appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
TS, do you want to go completely balls-out with your effects? Or do you want to just experiment. Just test the waters a little bit, then decide on what you really want? (excluding what your favourite bands use,)

Well, I want to experiment. I want my band to have a good sound, and we know what sound we want, but experimentation via whatever method is always welcome. As I do not have a lot of money to spend, test the waters would be it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
If you want multiple delay sounds, check out the Line 6 DL-4. It's the holy grail of Line 6 products, which isn't saying much, but it's seriously awesome. You will be satisfied for a very very long time with one of those.

Does your amp have an fx loop? If so, get a nice reverb and run it through there, it'll sound great. If not, don't buy too nice of a reverb because it'll sound less than stellar out in front. It'll work, but you won't notice the difference between an $80 reverb and a $500 reverb in front (feature set aside).

I do not have a fx loop on my amp, I have been looking for a cheap amp with one but they do not appear to exist!

Should I get a reverb or delay first? I'll post some songs I am aiming to achieve the sound of:
Sounds like a lot of reverb in this one:

What about the guitar that comes in in this one at around 0:47, delay?

Looks like I need both. For reverb, the modulation on the boss rv-5 is really striking.

MXR carbon copy keeps hitting me though! I like that a lot. Would it be as good without an effects loop? If the answer to that is yes, I will buy one right now.

My main other question would be good places to look for second hand effects? Any links people could help me out with? I have looked at the obvious: gumtree and ebay, but they are not much cheaper.

trashedlostfdup 12-13-2012 01:31 AM

i would advise a delay over reverb. depending on the pedal and the tweaking, you can kind of get reverb out of delay.

they really follow the same concept. in reverb its a few microseconds that stack and create the reverb effect. a delay just has longer time. analog typically 60ms, and digital can go a lot longer. (i know this isn't necessarily 100% technically correct but conceptually is just simple).