UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Punk & Ska (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ska Music Critique (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577364)

Ticket48 12-11-2012 02:14 AM

Ska Music Critique

Hey guys, I would appreciate a tiny bit of help. I need to write a critique of a song (everything from it's influences were and where it's sound came from, to it's production, to what it influenced) and I was hoping to use a ska song (third wave-ish). Personally, I would love to do What I Got by Sublime. However, I'm not sure there's enough information to really get the paper done well.

I came here wondering if other people had suggestions for highly influential or controversial ska songs?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

sargasm 12-11-2012 02:29 AM

I'm sorry to tell you that isn't a ska song. Although Sublime had a demonstrably ska influence, that song is not a ska song. It wouldn't really be possible for you to create that link. You could try using a song of theirs that has a ska element, such as Santeria.

I have no idea what kind of paper that is or what level of schooling you are in, but you may consider trying to find something with a lot of secondary source material to back it up, like interviews, etc. That may limit your song choices but it would help you produce a better paper in the end.

Ticket48 12-11-2012 02:45 AM

I meant that in more of a "if I could do any song it would be that" kind of way. But, I don't think I could pull it off, so now I'm interested in third wave ska song.

I don't really know the level of paper this is either (it's for college) since I haven't done one before. A lot of the papers I write are science based (lab reports or summaries) so it's a very different writing style. I've read the examples the professor gave us and I basically can write on any relevant information to the song. So anything that influenced the creation of the song to what the song means.

I just feel a lot of third wave ska bands don't have a ton of relevant information on their songs. I could be very wrong about this, but that's why I brought the question here. What better place than a music forum after all.

Rebel Scum 12-11-2012 08:06 AM

Third wave ska?

By Sublime I'd recommend Wrong Way. Has quite a story to it that you could write about in terms of the low-socio-economic issues within.

Or The Specials 'Done to much much too young' for exactly the same reasons.

InstantAXonHero 12-11-2012 09:44 AM

Just listen to 'Streetlight Manifesto' and try not to kill yourself.

n.grecs 12-16-2012 01:09 PM

"Money" by Choking Victim has a really interesting interview at the beginning of it. It's about how cops spend more money finding bank robbers than they stole from the bank.

Greenfinger182 12-16-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket48
I just feel a lot of third wave ska bands don't have a ton of relevant information on their songs. I could be very wrong about this, but that's why I brought the question here. What better place than a music forum after all.

Not too kill your paper, but not a whole lot of third-wave ska is very deep.