UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pay the money to record? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577430)

TheTroy 12-11-2012 02:10 PM

Pay the money to record?

So here's the deal: my band has been together since March. We played a couple shows, but recently we went from a 5 piece to a 3 piece. We have a lot of original music, enough to record an album actually, and have the opportunity to.

We're 17 and still in high school as seniors. For the most part we'll be going to different states for college and won't be around during that time to stay playing. We know a guy who's starting out recording who will record our album, 12 songs, for $330 from each guy.

Here's the kicker, we haven't learned all the songs yet (lack of practice time, etc...) but we learn them fast, and we have time to over the whole recording process. My musical interests definitely conflict with the singer, and i don't see myself having a future musical career with him really. Plus, I'm not sure we're ready physically nor do i think the singer is mature enough to understand any of it. I feel like i'm the only reasonable. guy in the band yet. There might be info missing here, but for the sake of time this is what i have.

TL;DR: my band can record an album for $330 from each guy, but I'm not sure we're really ready. Should we?

TunerAddict 12-11-2012 02:13 PM

do it, pussy

anvil is god 12-11-2012 02:15 PM

No, if you don't feel you are ready.

Weaponized 12-11-2012 02:19 PM

Nah man, prob be a waste of money.

mrsixstrings12 12-11-2012 02:22 PM

dont do it unless you're ready and can play the songs flawlessly 99% of the time. If you have any feeling of doubt i say don't do it for sure. Also, not knowing the songs is gonna be a problem. Learn the music, practice it for months after you've learned it (allowing you time to change things that maybe dont feel right, etc) then go record. You may think "oh we can just punch in when we mess up" but you'll regret it big time once you have to pay double since you spent 4 hours fixing mistakes you could've avoided

Metallicaxp 12-11-2012 02:25 PM

No. Be ready going into recording, especially at that price.

There's nothing like ****ing up the day you have to record. You should be able to play your songs without even thinking about playing your songs.

fc89konkari 12-11-2012 02:29 PM

Preparations is key when going into the studio. I also wondered what you meant with "the guy is starting out recording". At first it sounded a little like he's a newbie, so the price would be ridiculous, but considering that, it must've meant that he is starting to take bands in and has lots of skill already.

Don't do it before you're ready.

EDIT: one of the dudes about mentioned flawlessly 99%. Tbh, I think around 70% is enough, but flawless in that case means right on the friggin' click without imperfections, meaning that at least 50% of what you play is good enough to be on the album.

Horsedick.MPEG 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

You could practice your songs more then hit the guy up when you're ready with your songs for recording.

bifteksupernova 12-11-2012 02:39 PM

$330 is pretty reasonable from each member, but then again thats $330 that could be going to something much more worth it, especially if you feel like you arent ready to. ive only legitimately recorded one song with a band, and it was much, much more frustrating and time consuming than i imagined it to be, so if you feel you havent learned your songs enough or anything like that, probably better to save your money for a better project.

TunerAddict 12-11-2012 02:41 PM

It isn't a whole lot of money.

Majin Gaara 12-11-2012 02:43 PM

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw25dOC7H9M&hd=1

Now, make sure you've done what he's said and then you're ready.

Johnny_Ibanez 12-11-2012 02:47 PM

Absolutely not. We got overexcited and rushed into a studio at the first opportunity. We though it sounded great at the time but listening back to it now, it sounds like ass.

Wait until you're a really tight three-piece (no homo), wait until you've got decent studio-worthy gear (I don't know what you've got now but I'm going to be a twat and assume it's entry-level gear), and give the songs a bit of time to evolve.

captainsnazz 12-11-2012 02:47 PM

No, that's a fucking ridiculous price.
Also, protip: don't rely on there being time during recording to practice/learn your songs. Learn them before.
Also, it's 2012. You seriously do not need to go to a studio any more, except maybe for drums.

TheTroy 12-11-2012 02:48 PM

I'd be paying for this out of my pocket, and without a job that is money I don't have. Been applying, but holiday season got jobs booked quick around here.

I have no problem with waiting, practicing, and going back, but the other guys in the band think we're running too short on time, but i really don't know if they understand how important the practice is, and especially that money. highly doubt I'll be going through with it.

As for the recording guy, according to my friend he is starting up a recording thing so he's giving us a discount price, but i have no idea of how deep his experience goes. We're meeting the guy together today so I'd learn more later.

EDIT: i thought about recording ourselves and all that in the practice space, and i'll bring it up too.

crazysam23_Atax 12-11-2012 02:49 PM

I'd say no, you don't sound you think your band is going to stick around after your senior year anyway. :shrug:

Metallicaxp 12-11-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict

:haha

**** yeah it is.

Johnny_Ibanez 12-11-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTroy
As for the recording guy, according to my friend he is starting up a recording thing so he's giving us a discount price, but i have no idea of how deep his experience goes.

He's only just starting up and he's going to charge you a grand?

TunerAddict 12-11-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicaxp
:haha

**** yeah it is.

I spend more on takeout Chinese.

crazysam23_Atax 12-11-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Um...if they do it right, it's basically like $1,000 for 3 days of studio time.

That's $40/hour roughly. It's not really a bad rate, considering that most studios charge anywhere from $50/hour to $500/hour. Either way, $1000 is a LOT of cash. Frankly, the cost of recording music in an actual studio is ridiculous and always has been.

Source

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTroy
EDIT: i thought about recording ourselves and all that in the practice space, and i'll bring it up too.

You could easily buy some good quality recording gear for like $500 or less. I say less, because you may already have things like mics. Also, if you buy used gear, you knock your price down even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Ibanez
He's only just starting up and he's going to charge you a grand?

I agree. $1k is too much, all things considered.

Quote:

Huh, wish I was a rich, privileged individual like yourself who probably is waiting around to inherit his parent's money.

Metallicaxp 12-11-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Sounds tasty. Although you'll just be hungry in 30min.